Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Waterskiing & Barefooting

Old 07-02-2018, 03:56 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X-14 MCX w/Powerslot
I was on a club ski team in college and the barrier to entry was $50/semester for dues. The reason I got out of that after a couple years is probably multi-part: 1) I had a car at the time and we had to launch the boat at each outing; 2) when we went out we routinely had 2-3 wakeboarders ON the boat with us, which really loads up an 80's prostar; 3) related to (2) we had to drain and fill fatsacks for them; 4) I wasn't that good at wakeboarding. On the bright side we did have a private lake that only had fisherman on it -- our school had permission to use it for training.
I'd like to see the sport make some headway and am teaching my own kids. I grew up on a large but relatively rural un-used lake so finding decent water wasn't a problem. Like someone said previously on this thread, good water is harder and harder to find these days.
Old 07-02-2018, 03:58 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
And good 3 event boat prices aren't helping...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 07-02-2018, 04:14 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC25 View Post
I mean I ran a collegiate watersports team..... others here have as well. Skiing is dying, because its not really fun to watch like others have stated. Its not a social sport, not a cheap sport and its dang sure not easy to compete. If you think its partying thats ruining the sport at the collegiate level, you need to investigate further.
Again, I have to disagree on that. I enjoy watching competitions, and I only compete because of the social aspect. Maybe I am the exception, but I donít think soÖ When I see people from other lakes and clubs Iíve known for 20 years, its like a family reunion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintpollz View Post
look at me, I'm ready to throw in the towel and I've only been "attempting" water skiing for a year.
You are giving up too easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski-me View Post
Not trying to diss the program, sorry, just her experience. Granted she was really focused on her school and wasn't into the party scene at all. So her experience is different, and maybe things have changed, too. Finishing in 4 years with a Mech Eng degree, with honors.....her focus definitely was school. I certainly couldn't have done it that fast!
CONGRATULATIONS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trunderw View Post
I was on a club ski team in college and the barrier to entry was $50/semester for dues.
If $50 was a barrier, youíre definitely in the wrong sport. I had a guest try to give me $50 for 2 sets recently, which I was later forced to take. $50 is CHEAP Ė Iíd jump all over that deal compared to what I pay today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trunderw View Post
Like someone said previously on this thread, good water is harder and harder to find these days.
It is true, 3 event skiing has had to migrate to private waters for the most part. But there are tons of wakeboarders on those sites as well. The only thing you do not see on private lakes is surfing, as the depths needed are not there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
And good 3 event boat prices aren't helping...
Define good
Old 07-02-2018, 04:18 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
If you think its partying thats ruining the sport at the collegiate level, you need to investigate further.

Again, I never blamed that solely on it. It definitely is part of it. I am not saying you can not have a little fun, lord knows we all did. Again, my point is that the sport at the collegiate level needs structure and discipline. Edit: And to be promoted and grown. The NCAA could do it
Old 07-02-2018, 04:27 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2016 X30, 85 S&S
I didn’t even charge dues.... basically these fools rode on my boat for free (granted I did too, just paid for gas and storage and stuff) when I talked about charging dues, the room went silent. And when I stepped down because of politics (old president left a bad taste in the university’s mouth and never gave me a chance) the new folks switched solely to cable park riding (which I hate) and tried charging dues. Still an uphill battle. NCAA could promote it, but it still doesn’t change how expensive the sport is.

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2018!!!!!!

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...30#post1417530

2016 X30-Wetsounds galore
2017 Misty Harbor Tri-Toon
1985 S&S- Gone but never forgotten
Old 07-02-2018, 04:39 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
I didnít even charge dues.... basically these fools rode on my boat for free
Sounds like you are an ambassador
Old 07-02-2018, 08:52 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: None Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by slalomjunkie View Post
Again, I never blamed that solely on it. It definitely is part of it. I am not saying you can not have a little fun, lord knows we all did. Again, my point is that the sport at the collegiate level needs structure and discipline. Edit: And to be promoted and grown. The NCAA could do it
This isnít the answer you want to hear, but youíre wrong. Nobody gets into skiing because itís goung to make them any money. They got into it because they enjoy it and want to be around people that enjoy the same things. The NCAA isnít going to fix the problems that 3 event has and itís foolish to think that there is a bandaid fix out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uplandbird View Post
Floating computer systems designed to come to the brink of intentionally sinking are probably going to have some issues.
Old 07-04-2018, 07:30 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 82 Nautique
I'm a total newb here but I had a few thoughts as someone just getting into course skiing. I think the issue has more to do with bringing new people into the sport so that's where the focus should be. The sport could use more grassroots, less competitive and more laid back events to draw people in. Just set up a course on a public lake and run some morning events before the lake gets busy. Maybe attach to some other event going on the lake. Local public lake clubs have bands and parties all of the time to raise money. Maybe do something with them? Another option, I had an old Nautique before I bought my Prostar. Those guys at CC fan have get togethers all over the country. They travel some big distances to get together. I think it would be cool to do a vintage boat show/ski event. Whatever the event, Let the public pay a small fee to get a pull either in the course or just free ski. Of course you would need some local ambassadors who are willing to do the pulling and maybe provide some instruction. If done well and marketed properly, it could make a nice event that brings some fresh people to the sport.
Just a thought.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:52 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgyglfr View Post
I think the issue has more to do with bringing new people into the sport so that's where the focus should be.
The solution bar none is bringing new YOUNG people into the sport. For example, look at major sports leagues. They are TERRIFIED of losing the youth, it cannot happen or the leagues wouldn't exist. Look at the MLB and their steps to speed up the games to keep the short attention spans of gen z'ers on the field. Look at the NFL and the safety precautions they are taking (no they don't care about the players of today, they need parents signing their kids up for pop warner).

If there are no players then there is no product and no money to be made.

I think there is a lot of challenges for 3-event's future. How can you get the attention of the youth if it's so difficult to access the sport? How are you going to get these kids out there behind a boat nonetheless in a COURSE. If I want to go snow skiing, I go to the ski mountain and buy a ticket. If my kid wanted to go free skiing and I didn't own a boat then I'm sure I could find a boat to get him/her behind for a day. But what's making young people think, "Maybe I want to get yanked behind a boat through a course, or learn trick and Jump". Then I gotta get on a forum, find a place for my kid to spray, or buy a boat and then find a place to spray. And in reality it needs to be on private water and private water is hard to find. There are just too many variables to it.

3-event lost todays youth. The only youth they have are the ones that were exposed to people in the 50s-70s that made water skiing a large part of their lives. And in reality there are not many of those people left still investing all that time needed into the sport.