Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 03-06-2017, 09:57 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: ER xstar
Question Lift help!!??

Hey guys,
I'm considering investing (err throwing money away) on a lift for the xstar. I know there are tons of threads out there on lifts but my situation is very unique.

I'm a member at a boat club on a river that has floating docks with lots of depth (10') and a muddy bottom. Water level definitely varies about 4' throughout the year. The docks are old as sin, and couldn't support any sort of lift attached to them (like a hydrohoist setup). I don't believe the club would allow me to put a lift that sits on the bottom as we take the docks in and out every year.

So... what I'm left with (I think) is a self-floating lift. I have a buddy at the club who has a sunstream floatlift and the thing is awesome. They sell new for like 14k and I don't want to dish that out on a lift. Any other options out there?

I have another friend who has a sunstream V-lift (air displacement but still floats on its own) slightly used I could buy for 6k (overpriced?) that's in town. Lots of money but do I really have any other options?
Old 03-06-2017, 11:55 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X2, Pontoon, Nitro 882
if you can't have one that sits on the bottom your only option is an air system. They do get expensive, but they do work. Its like 2 pontoons, that you fill with air once your boat is on the lift. i have seen the other kind that you drive up on but not sure that would work with a v drive.
Old 03-06-2017, 12:21 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: NA
Can you post pics of your dock?
Old 03-06-2017, 01:20 PM
MC Maniac

This was taken during dock-out day, but the fingers to the left let you get a good idea of what's going on. Old, very old aluminum docks that wouldn't have the strength to support a hydrohoist. It's in a sheltered cove so waves &I wakes don't exist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-06-2017, 01:24 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X2, Pontoon, Nitro 882
Is that a bay or river going thru there? if a bay, i question why you would need to remove these in the winter especially if they drop the water. I am in a bay and i leave all my docks and boat lifts in the water all year round. You really have to worry about ice out and the ice moving and shifting crashing into your dock. We don't have that in a bay.

either way, we have some muck on our bottom (its a bay and a bay will have muck) but eventually you will find hard bottom. STand alone boat lifts don't connect to any docks, they are free standing and just sit on the bottom.
Old 03-06-2017, 02:06 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: NA
I’m assuming you’re not allowed to build a permanent shade structure over your docks? With your lake levels fluctuating up to 4’, you’re between a rock and a hard place. You can’t put a hanging lift in because there’s nothing to hang it from, and the water levels tell me you could get drydocked with a ground mounted lift… How deep is the slip on the high/low end?
Old 03-06-2017, 02:18 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2016 X30, 85 S&S
some good info I found when I was looking for the "airdock" company. doesnt look like they exist anymore? link doesnt work on my work computer...http://www.airdock.com/

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=64511

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2018!!!!!!

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...30#post1417530

2016 X30-Wetsounds galore
2017 Misty Harbor Tri-Toon
1985 S&S- Gone but never forgotten
Old 03-06-2017, 02:46 PM
MC Maniac

Aric,
With how deep the keel is on the xstar, and the 3 tracking fins I'm really not sure that the air dock is an option for me.

Club is on a river, slips vary from probably 6 to 14 feet deep
Old 03-06-2017, 02:53 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2017 X10
Willy - Just some experience with both floating lift types... Hydrohoist, FloatAir (and a new regional favorite of mine) Carolina lifts all have different strains on the dock. The common floating lifts are front mount (most strain on the dock) and 4 corner mounts (least strain on the dock). As a matter of fact, one could argue that in a semi submerged or fully upright position both of those lifts make the dock stronger. The 4 point lift could literally be by themselves when not submerged.

So I guess the question is, will the docks not support the weight when the hydrohoist is fully down? as far as rigidity goes, if the lift is properly installed it will help the docks, not hurt them.

For your situation, I'd highly consider a 4 point floating lift, but would stay away from the front mount (even though I like them better) as they do put more strain on the dock. There won't be any more strain in the up position compared to mooring your boat IMO.
Old 03-06-2017, 04:14 PM
MC Maniac

Bolting anything to these docks is not an option unfortunately

Tags
lift, sunstream