Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 09-07-2018, 05:32 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 09 214 Prostar
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoody51 View Post
Hopefully you are hearing the answer to your question is ‘yes, the x14 is the right next boat for your family!’

Outside of surfing it does everything pretty well. You can surf with it but don’t expect to throw the rope. You will also need extra ballast and a wake shaper.
You can surf behind a X14, we did add extra ballast though.
Attached Files
File Type: mov IMG_0559.mov (14.33 MB, 61 views)
Old 09-08-2018, 01:50 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1993 PS190
Thanks again for the confirmation. I heard you loud and clear, and we made the decision. We hope to pick it up next week.

The minimal storage and poor surfing qualities were two big question marks.

We will just have to wait and see if the storage is an issue or not. Converting to soft bags is a great idea and would definitely help but I wouldn't want to do that unless we really had an issue with it.

As for surfing capabilities, my wife and I have tried it once and we don't really think it is our thing. The only reason why it was discussed/considered was because it is the new fad and the kids may want to do it. We assume that they would be able to try it with this boat and it would be good enough for a few years. If they eventually want a bigger wave down the road, they will have to make friends with kids at the lake with surf boats because Mom and Dad are skiers first.

Thanks again for your input! I will update the profile once we take delivery.
Old 09-08-2018, 08:44 AM

Boat: XT22
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RLAKE View Post
I put the cooler in the port side walkway, and actually made a seat top for it ... effectively another seat ... i got some vinyl that closely matched the interior, a piece of pressure treated plywood, piece of foam and then used captive nuts and bolted it in place from the underside of the lid

Worked really well
Depending on how many people I had, that is usually where I'd put the cooler too. We'd also use it as an extra seat, but I didn't go to the extent you did.

I'd also put it in the walk through at times when there were just a couple of people
Old 09-08-2018, 09:00 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2008 Prostar 214, MCX, Mini-Tower
Since we have a 214 without ballast, we put a soft side under the port rear seat.

A 214 without the tanks has so much space especially with the ski locker.

If you get an x14. With tanks, it seems to me you need one set of racks to be ski racks.

Love this boating platform, so good.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

"Left Foot Forward and preferring girls."
"Do you have Flake on that boat?"
Old 09-08-2018, 09:30 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '08 X14
I agree with all of the above. I too came from a '93 190. The ski wake on the X14 is definitely not as good at slower speeds, but it is acceptable. The wakeboard wake is much better, both with and without ballast. Kids can surf with extra ballast and a shaper.

Another surprise was the power, I thought the bigger boat would not be as nimble but I think it pulls harder than the '93.

The extra room is great. We spent a week with 6 adults and 7 kids in the boat. I was really surprised it wasn't more cramped.

The lounge seat behind the driver is awesome. Great spot for an afternoon nap!

Storage is an issue for the X14 with tanks. I have a ski rack on one side which helps. I too have considered removing the rear tanks, they are only 150lbs each and take up a lot of space. The cooler is always my dilemma too. For now, I use a RTIC soft side 40 and sit it right next to the driver in front of the pylon. Still enough room for the kids to squeeze into the front.

Enjoy the new boat, post some pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-08-2018, 10:22 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: '13 x10 with 6.0 and '93 25th Anniversary Limited Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianS View Post
I agree with all of the above. I too came from a '93 190. The ski wake on the X14 is definitely not as good at slower speeds, but it is acceptable. The wakeboard wake is much better, both with and without ballast. Kids can surf with extra ballast and a shaper.

Another surprise was the power, I thought the bigger boat would not be as nimble but I think it pulls harder than the '93.

The extra room is great. We spent a week with 6 adults and 7 kids in the boat. I was really surprised it wasn't more cramped.

The lounge seat behind the driver is awesome. Great spot for an afternoon nap!

Storage is an issue for the X14 with tanks. I have a ski rack on one side which helps. I too have considered removing the rear tanks, they are only 150lbs each and take up a lot of space. The cooler is always my dilemma too. For now, I use a RTIC soft side 40 and sit it right next to the driver in front of the pylon. Still enough room for the kids to squeeze into the front.

Enjoy the new boat, post some pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brian ... great seeing you and your awesome boat
Old 09-11-2018, 10:47 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Current: 2014 PROSTAR 214v ~ Former: 2010 X14v | 1997 PS190 w/ LT1
Late to this topic and happy to answer specific questions. We have had two... a x14v and a now a 2015 PS214. We bought twice for all the same reasons you stated—-versatility and room. We are fanatical skiers and originally came from a PS190. Interesting note—the 2015 PS214 skies much better with softer smaller wake than our 2010 X14v.

Enjoy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-11-2018, 08:14 PM

Boat: XT22
Quote:
Originally Posted by 214skier View Post
Late to this topic and happy to answer specific questions. We have had two... a x14v and a now a 2015 PS214. We bought twice for all the same reasons you stated—-versatility and room. We are fanatical skiers and originally came from a PS190. Interesting note—the 2015 PS214 skies much better with softer smaller wake than our 2010 X14v.

Enjoy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I can't see how the 2014 214V skies much better than the 2010 X14V. Maybe different prop? Both have towers, hard tanks add very little weight. I can't imagine motors weigh much different. I wonder if motor placement changed when they went to Ilmore?

Not doubting you, just wondering....
Old 09-11-2018, 08:32 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2008 X14, w/ LY6 400HP w/ 1.22 Ratio Tran
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnE View Post
I can't see how the 2014 214V skies much better than the 2010 X14V. Maybe different prop? Both have towers, hard tanks add very little weight. I can't imagine motors weigh much different. I wonder if motor placement changed when they went to Ilmore?

Not doubting you, just wondering....
Read again, he is saying the 214 DD ski's better than the X14V, which makes complete sense.

2008 MasterCraft X14, LY6, 400 HP
1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205 (SOLD)

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 09-11-2018, 10:40 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: MasterCraft X-14, '09 Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double D View Post
Read again, he is saying the 214 DD ski's better than the X14V, which makes complete sense.
I thought he had a 214V?