Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 09-17-2018, 01:26 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, NXT22, 2018, 5500 Ilmor, GenII w/710 bags
2016 G23 vs 2018 NXT22!

Yes you read that correctly. I will throw in a little tid bits of a 2015 x23 too.

The NXT22 has the 5500 Ilmor with 710 bags in rear locker. The G23 has the Supercharged LS10 (i think i have the abbreviation correctly..) I can't give a lagit full review on power comparison. But with both boats fully loaded ballast they get to surf spead of 10.9 basically the same (no stop watch). Did not run the G23 over 22 mph but owner had it up to 40 mph the day before, NXT22 with high altitude prop maxes out at 38.

Ease of surf settings: over all the NXT22 is much more simpler, but once you find out where everything is on the screen of the G23 its not too bad. Switching surf Left to Surf right is blindly easier with NXT22 vs the G23. I will say controlling the height of the wave on G23 may be easier with its 1,2,3,4,5 settings vs the 0-100% of the NXT22, and the fact that MC is working on a fix for dialing in exact %'s will be nice when they get it fixed. Going back to switching surf from one side to the other the NXT22 wins on how quickly the wave cleans up from the switch. Also when pulling a rider up to getting that clean wave the NXT22 wins again. The wave cleans up much faster on the NXT22 vs the G23. Also the 2016 X23 is a little slower to clean up the wave but still faster than the G23.

The Surf Wave: we had 5 adults in the G23, 2 of us are around the 230 lb mark the other 3 ranged 115-140. 20-25' depth of water. Over all looks of the wave of g23 looked good but could not get as tall but almost as tall as my NXT22, also I know how to dial in a longer wave with my NXT22 than the owner did of his G23, but still had an impressive looking wave with preset settings. I'm 230 lbs 6'2" on a P5 Kong on both boats. Surf setting 5 on G23 with full ballast in rear and 65% in front and surf right. Took me a minute to get the feel of the wave as all boats are different. The G23 felt great in the pocket but takes a lot of work if you get out or on the edge of back pocket vs the NXT22. Also you can surf further back on starboard side of NXT22 at 100% 0% 0% (100% surf right) full rear and 1/4 to 1/3 filled on front ballast. Now once I switched to a board about the same length but more rocker and a single fin vs quad I had a lot more fun but still did not have much push the further back. I will say that the G23 wake angles further outside the back of the boat in shorter distance (not sure what or if this has an effect on how far back you can surf). Some reason the nose of my p5 kong went under water a lot more than normal, could have been me or might be that the g23 had less push, but I cant say for sure.

Wakeboard Wake: he briefly showed me the Pro Wakeboarding setting of the g23 and i can get a better wakeboarding wake longer bigger and cleaner on the NXT22. But in all fairness we did not spend much time and it was rough water at the time.

Steer-ability: the NXT22 and X23 can turn much sharper at lower speed going back to pick up a rider. I definitely did not like this about the G23. Also the throttle of the g23 was not as nice as any MC I have ever driven. It was almost unsafe while picking up down riders in the water. Getting the g23 back to neutral you have to lift the lever and go back and hope you don't go into reverse. Much safer with the MC you just pull back and locks in Neutral. Another point is the G23 always wanted to go low into the water when going back through waves picking up down riders. I had a hard time keeping my sunglasses clean and dry driving the g23 vs NXT22. If anyone would have been in the nose of the g23 they would stay wet much more than NXT22.

Interior: from a glance the G23 looks much more fancy and maybe a little flashier. But up close the NXT22 might be better built and tougher fabric than g23 of 2016. Now the 2016 X23 vs 2016 G23 the quality and comfort of the x23 is much better than the g23. The rear flip seat of the g23 was very hard and not comfortable to sit in at all, might as well be sitting on a cooler. MC pickle fork vs bull nose of Nautique, MC wins hands down on comfort and seating in the nose. Shallow floor of Nautique not good for adults. As for the tower I did not like the painted tower (personal preference), however the g23 tower shook and rattled much more then the 2018 NXT22 tower. The board racks of the 2018 NXT22 are much better made and swing in and out in a better fashion. The NXT22 ans G23 racks both had bungee style straps where the XT an X series MC have the nice clamping racks, all work well and all can malfunction but you would think the Super Air Nautique G23 would have a better tower and racks. The LED lighting was very nice in the G23 including the lights under the speakers. The glove box on the g23 rattled the whole time and was best to leave open and the latching system sucked. My 06 X30 as well as both the x23 ans ans NXT22 beat it hands down. Over all i have to say MC is just better built I don't care that AMG helped out with Nautique. G23 is a head hazard for us tall guys. I hit my head on the speakers and bimini top. I will say i hate the wrap cover for the bimini on all 2018 MC and the 6-7 different zippers. The walk though to the rear of the g23 is beautiful. The full rear cushion of the NXT22 is nice for the ladies to lay out on.

Stereo: very disappointing on the G23, no bluetooth and had the same Celeron head unit my 06 x30 had. The Klipsch is much more clear and crisp. The g23 had more base as he added an extra sub. Cant wait to get the updated on my NXT22 to be able to control the rear tower speakers differently from cabin. Riding behind the g23 you could hear more base but more clearly hear the Klipsch. You had to press hard on the buttons to turn up and down volume on g23 and could be hard to navigate screen on g23. As a driver you have to take your eyes off the water too much to make adjustments to anything with the G23.

Electeonics: Yes the G23 has a bigger screen, but it is much harder to navigate and I like the ease of the surf system of the nxt22, no eyes needed.

Price: the fact that today you can get a 2018 NXT22 for around the same price and you can an 2016 G23 with very low hrs, hands down would not even look at a g23 over the NXT22. And then you have the full warranty of the 2018.

Over all the G23 is a good boat and i did like it a lot but i love my 2018 NXT22 better over all.

If pictures post correctly the first 3 are the g23 and the last 4 are the NXT22

Nxt22 wave

Nxt22 way back on wave, this was stock everything too

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Tookeymonster; 09-17-2018 at 12:26 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 01:31 AM
TT Enthusiast

Sorry for the fat fingers and typos. I did this on my phone and need to edit as i fat finger the hell out of this phone

Old 09-17-2018, 07:25 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2018 XStar that's trying to be a 40th.
Did the guy with the G23 forget to fill his ballast?

I love MC as much as anyone else over here, and have been really impressed by the performance of my buddyís new NXT22.......however, the stock wake and wave on the NXT22 are NOT EVEN IN THE SAME NEIGHBORHOOD as the G23.

I can see someone maybe preferring the surf wave type on the NXT. I suppose that could be argued.

The wakeboard wake, however, can not. The G wake is absolutely massive compared to the NXT.

Thatís a really long winded review, and you definitely took some time to go through it. I can appreciate that. That said, itís seems like most points are from the perspective of somebody who REALLY loves their NXT, and actively does not want to appreciate the G series for what it is.

Just my opinion.....

Also- thatís not a 2016 G23. Itís a 2013, or 2014. 2016 and newer Gs have a much better stereo, taller towers (especially after 17), better racks, etc. etc. Lots of improvements over the years.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:08 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 98/99 MariStar 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by FourFourty View Post
The wakeboard wake, however, can not. The G wake is absolutely massive compared to the NXT.
Yeah, nothing against the NXT, but I've ridden the G23, XT22, X2, older 210's, older XStars, and MariStar wakeboard wakes....The G is scary. Haven't ridden the new XStar, but I'm pretty sure that's one of the only wakes that can beat the G for wakeboarding.
2017 B1G Champions
Old 09-17-2018, 09:14 AM
TT Enthusiast

We didn't play with it much and was a little rough like i said and i didn't ride it. When you ride it you get a different perspective for sure.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:18 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 Ski Centurion
Nice write up Tookey. Thanks for taking the time to do it. Can you tell me how the wake is for skiing? Kids are getting bigger and if I switch from a direct drive to a vdrive I could gain some space and make the family happy.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:28 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourFourty View Post
Did the guy with the G23 forget to fill his ballast?

I love MC as much as anyone else over here, and have been really impressed by the performance of my buddyís new NXT22.......however, the stock wake and wave on the NXT22 are NOT EVEN IN THE SAME NEIGHBORHOOD as the G23.

I can see someone maybe preferring the surf wave type on the NXT. I suppose that could be argued.

Thatís a really long winded review, and you definitely took some time to go through it. I can appreciate that. That said, itís seems like most points are from the perspective of somebody who REALLY loves their NXT, and actively does not want to appreciate the G series for what it is.

Just my opinion.....

Also- thatís not a 2016 G23. Itís a 2013, or 2014. 2016 and newer Gs have a much better stereo, taller towers (especially after 17), better racks, etc. etc. Lots of improvements over the years.
For a 230 lb guy and 710 rear bags the NXT22 the way i have it dialed in has a longer surfable wave. I will double check the year. Also.he only used the pre set surf settings and that may be an issue. He sais he had an 800 lb sac he throws in the G.

I will be spending some more time in it as we are going to take our boats out together and do the Bowl with 2 surf boats.

The G really is a nice boat, my perspective is one from the cost of what you get amd how it has held up. Again I will double check.on the year he may of gotten an 2015 at the beginning of 2016. I went in with realy high expectations and expected it to be a much better surf boat. Coud be some operator error. He has had it for 2 years and 230 hrs. But for the pre set surf setting its not wat i expected, could be the 20' of water and my need 30+

Old 09-17-2018, 09:52 AM
TT Enthusiast

I did not get the see the ski wake on the G23. Also im probably not one to give a. Openion on it as I have not skied in 20 years. Looking for a small to lvery little wake at 30mph +? We will be going out weekly until we have to winterize.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slvr Bulit View Post
Nice write up Tookey. Thanks for taking the time to do it. Can you tell me how the wake is for skiing? Kids are getting bigger and if I switch from a direct drive to a vdrive I could gain some space and make the family happy.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:00 AM
TT Enthusiast

This ia another pic of the g23 wave. I took it from the back seat. This guy is 5'6" maybe and 130 lbs max after he fell in the water lol. Surf setting on 5 with full rear ballast and 65% front. (I will doube check that front ballast set up)

Old 09-17-2018, 11:14 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: ER xstar
Hahahahahahahaha

This is ultimate fanboyism, an NXT over a G23? That’s like saying I’ll have the Mac and cheese instead of the surf and turf. No offense to nxt owners but they’re completely different categories.