Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-03-2011, 01:03 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft 2008 X-1
Skier Down Flags

I'm interested in others opinions on the "skier down flag". In principle, I think it could be a good idea. But in practice, it is a total failure. NO ONE understands the concept. Most people just fly an orange flag anytime they are on the water. Even those that put it up and down, fly it anytime they have a person tubing/skiing/boarding.

The flag is only to be flown when a person is IN the water, not ON the water.

I have a flag if necessary, but I generally refuse to use it, as the whole concept doesn't work, because no one understands. I was even told by the water patrol at Table Rock that they can't enforce it, or he couldn't even get across the lake, because of pulling so many people over.

What are your thoughts on the "skier down flag"? If I get a ticket for refusing to use one, I will document the total abuse of the purpose, and take my chances in court.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:08 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2010 MasterCraft PS 197 TT
We ski on Beaver Lake in Ar. We are NOT required to use it by law and we don't use it neither do most people. I agree with you and say that it doesn't help protect your skier at all.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:08 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
I understand the concept, but like you it is not adhered to hardly at all. As much as we try, we even forget sometimes. That and the rest of the jack legs on the leake that aren't doing watersports don't seem to look fro or care if they see the flag anyway.
Personally I'd be a fan of having the flag UP anytime you're doing watersports. That way, you can't forget on occasion and it would signal anyone around you that you either have someone in or on the water, so watch out.
Edit: And if you look at the pic I just posted in the "96 Prrostar LT-1" thread, I'm the tool with it stuck to the side of my boat with noone in the water! (It was in Missouri though, so that's ok!)

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 06-03-2011, 03:10 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 mastercraft x2 mcx 350
Here in BC we dont have this law I think it's good in theory also but when I board on watcom lake in washington no one bothers or just flys it all the Time I think that maybe a different color light that's put on when a person is down or just f#%^}Łg give people some room and respect eachother I know the my fellow mc owners all do but others need to Learn. I don't know why people think its cool to do a fly by when a person is floating behind the boat.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:18 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Brand new 01 X10
I believe they should be up when the skiier is up or down.

Can someone confirm whether or not a "non manned" flag holder is legal? Like a flag mount or automatic remote flag?
Old 06-03-2011, 07:08 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2010 MasterCraft PS 197 TT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
I believe they should be up when the skiier is up or down.

Can someone confirm whether or not a "non manned" flag holder is legal? Like a flag mount or automatic remote flag?
That would depend on the state and body of water you are on.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:06 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
About as useful as daytime running lights. Another stupid idea most likely made up by people that don't ski.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:38 AM

Boat: 06 X30
When I lived in CA we used it only when the skier was down. It was law and everyone used and followed it. It worked well because everyone knew what it meant. There was a counter sign that the driver would raise an arm extending the hand high in the air when they had identified the downed skier so even the skier knew he had been seen by on coming boaters.

In the Southeast, not only is it not law it's totally unknown what the flag means. It took me a long time to get used to not using one.

"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Old 06-03-2011, 08:57 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2011 X-15
The southeast has no idea (including me) what they are for. My wife moved out here from Cali and first time aboard the boat I was really confused about this silly orange flag. It wouldn't do a lick of good, and probably more danger then help around here. Some drunk idiot would run you down while staring at the bright orange flag.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:08 AM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbantuxTN View Post
The southeast has no idea (including me) what they are for. My wife moved out here from Cali and first time aboard the boat I was really confused about this silly orange flag. It wouldn't do a lick of good, and probably more danger then help around here. Some drunk idiot would run you down while staring at the bright orange flag.
Your wife and I have the exact same experience when it comes to the ski flag. When I'd hold it up people would come closer to me and the downed skier. lol

"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!