Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-03-2011, 11:21 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft Stars & Stripes 1983 V8
I propose someone invent a remote killswitch that automatically kills ALL jet skis the moment your skier goes down!!! For that matter... just KILL ALL JET SKIS!
Old 06-03-2011, 11:21 AM

We’re not required to use them in Texas. I skied with a few folks out in AZ years ago and I literally saw boats change directions when they saw our flag go up. So I think they work, but it would take years for the lakes to get accustomed to them.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chawk610 View Post
I propose someone invent a remote killswitch that automatically kills ALL jet skis the moment your skier goes down!!! For that matter... just KILL ALL JET SKIS!
I'd like an M-50 and a chair on my bow... But for the fishermen on my lake (jetskis arent allowed on my lake)
Old 06-03-2011, 11:24 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 1991 Prostar 190, fuel injected 302
They seem to work well here. I pretty much never see them out unless somebody is in the water.

'91 prostar 190
Old 06-03-2011, 12:11 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 15' VALCO
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
When I lived in CA we used it only when the skier was down. It was law and everyone used and followed it. It worked well because everyone knew what it meant. There was a counter sign that the driver would raise an arm extending the hand high in the air when they had identified the downed skier so even the skier knew he had been seen by on coming boaters.

In the Southeast, not only is it not law it's totally unknown what the flag means. It took me a long time to get used to not using one.
I couldn't agree more with your statement. Out here in California, the skier down flag is one of the few laws that actually work!
Old 06-03-2011, 01:48 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: '04 X1
We use them here in NE and they work well. Only problem lies with some of the idiots on our lake. When they see the flag, they put theirs up so you have a whole line of boats with orange flags waving and you don't know which boat actually has a skier down.

Typically they put the flag up and you go around. Maybe give a little wave to let them know you see the person.

I had NO clue that it wasnt used everywhere.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:03 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft X-9 2001
Under California law, the display of a ski flag is mandatory to indicate a skier in the water, or a ski, a line, or similar equipment in the immediate area. The display of the ski flag does not in itself restrict the use of the water, but warns boaters operating in the area to exercise caution. Boaters who see a red or orange flag being displayed should be on the lookout for a skier or equipment in the water. The law says:

The water-ski flag must be displayed to indicate any of the following conditions:
A downed skier.
A skier in the water preparing to ski.
A ski line extended from the vessel.
A ski in the water in the vicinity of the vessel

Typically the flag is not raised when the water skier is skiing. The flag does help out in alerting you if someone has a skier in water; you know you need to look around because the skier may not be near the boat.

What’s unusual about the law is it just mentions a skier only; the wording is as shown above. No mention about someone swimming nearby, a wake surfer, wake boarder or tuber.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:11 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1976 Mastercraft Stars & Stripes 351W
I have one in the boat, but there's usually nobody around when and where we ski. We use it if there is, but that's really not that often.
I've been inspected by the Coast Guard Auxiliary, and they ask to see it.

I agree with the raised arm counter-action. I do that to let the flag holder know that I see them.

Our '76 Stars & Stripes

Canis meus id comedit
Old 06-03-2011, 03:17 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft X-45
In Oregon it's heavily enforced. I think the cops may use it as probable cause to stop a boat and talk to determine if they were drinking however too.

I have seen multiple boats ticketed for not using one and I have been asked to see mine before when we were not even boarding but there was boards in the rack. They wanted to make sure we had one.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:25 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1995 Prostar 190
In New Jersey:

Ski boats must carry an orange or red ski flag. It must be displayed a minimum of 4 feet above the highest part of the boat, and be at least 12 inches on each edge of the triangle. It must be displayed during each of the following activities only:
-While pulling or retrieving a skier
-While a skier is in the water; or
-While a towline is in the water

It's actually catching on here, and it is easier for boat operators to notice which boats are pulling skiers and which ones are not. Better than no flag at all IMHO.

BTW, in NJ boats are required to stay at least 200 feet away from a person in the water (like a downed skier) but that is almost never the case!