Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 12-07-2018, 02:12 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Was 2007 X1 - now looking
Family unable to get $4,300 "smart" fridge repaired

For those that want to go back to simple boat gauges and controls....

"Jordan and Ben Feria say they paid $4,300 for the appliance. Right now, the gadgets are working, but the actual refrigerator isn't....

Feria said the technician informed her that the training was ongoing but it wasn't complete yet since the appliance was new technology, so she would have to wait an indefinite time."

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/fa...h/77-621418679
Old 12-07-2018, 02:48 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, X2, 2004, Violet (purple) & white ... previous 1983 black/silver stars
I guess I don't understand why everything has to be automated and/or "smart" when it comes to home appliances ... maybe I'm not geeky enough
Old 12-07-2018, 03:07 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 98/99 MariStar 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmkkdx View Post
I guess I don't understand why everything has to be automated and/or "smart" when it comes to home appliances ... maybe I'm not geeky enough
I can see the appeal in the future, but in the present, there's a reason they call it the "bleeding edge". You're gonna have some pains like this.

Based on some stuff I've seen in development for the point of sale and retail industry, this is just an extension. Having a fridge that knows what's in it and can list or alert you to food possibly near the end of its lifespan to reduce waste would probably be the first thing to come to my mind. Next, with the rise of pick-up and food delivery services (and Amazon buying Whole Foods), I can see a future where you can set certain foods for delivery from your fridge. The slow march to the future sometimes gets lost unless you look back a significantly appropriate amount of time. Electronic fuel injection in boats probably had people asking why they needed it if their carb'd boat worked just fine. Then again, you have people saying that not being able to save your specialized surf profile makes something utterly unusable
2015 Ohio State Engineering, Back2Back B1G Champions
---------------------------------------
Old 12-07-2018, 03:10 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2003 X-30, Indmar MCX
I'm not surprised at all.
We bought a new french door Kenmore Elite fridge a few years back (just an LG in sheep's clothing) and within 1.5 years the compressor died. Not sure which was more to blame: the bad design of the part or the long back order for it. We ended up waiting just under three months before anyone could get their hands on a new compressor.

Kenmore and Sears couldn't have cared less - everyone we talked to didn't seem like waiting months for a fridge repair was that big a deal. We should have just kept our previously functioning 20+ year old fridge..
Old 12-07-2018, 04:11 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: None Yet
One of my coworkers has a smart home and can control any appliance with her phone. Need to turn up the stove without getting off the couch, done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uplandbird View Post
Floating computer systems designed to come to the brink of intentionally sinking are probably going to have some issues.
Old 12-07-2018, 05:16 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1980 Glastron Carlson CVX-16 Deluxe w 1981 Evinrude 140
All that "smart" junk is really cool when it's working, but when it breaks not so much. Simplicity is much better.
Old 12-07-2018, 09:39 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2008 X2, MCX
About 8 years ago we bought a new LG French door fridge. Fast forward 1 year. I get home open the fridge and notice the bulb wasn’t turning on. Then it dawned on me that it was more than the bulb, the whole thing was dead.

After some troubleshooting I figured out that the fridge wasn’t getting power. Turns out the fuse on the main circuit board had fried. Of course, special fuse. LG service tells me that the fuse can’t be replaced and is not available. Only thing to do was to replace the entire control module. Apparently the control module is there to protect the fuse lol.

As you have probably guessed, the control module was 3/4 price of new fridge. So I went out and soldered a glass fuse in parallel over the top of the existing one. Been running ever since

What a joke

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-08-2018, 02:13 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 79 S&S. 87 Prostar Powerslot. Present 95 Maristar 200VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmccul View Post
One of my coworkers has a smart home and can control any appliance with her phone. Need to turn up the stove without getting off the couch, done.
I can just hear it now. "Elexa....wipe my @ss"

I'm with roadster02. Keep it simple.
Old 12-08-2018, 02:17 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1981 MasterCraft 351W slot
atleast when the machines rise up against us we will know through our smart phone that xxx appliance is fixing to knock me off
Old 12-09-2018, 08:59 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, prostar 2001 205v
My grandfather was known in his town back in the day as the "ice man" he would go out with a team of horses and blade the snow off the local city pond.. all winter to get good solid clear ice... then when it was the right thickness he cut it into blocks.. hauled them to a sawdust insulated garage and stored them there... then sold them during the summer... and yes he made a darn good living in those days doing so... then the fridge came and he had to buy up a bar, then the bakery, then another bar... he also lived to see the inventions of the airplane, radio, television, moon landing etc...

He would have laughed hardily at someone spending $4300 for a fridge that keeps things cold... and does everything but that...