Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 09-22-2018, 03:46 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1991 Maristar 240 Open Bow w/ 454
Try diving clips. They look like mini c clamps.

I feel your pain somewhat. I swim for cardio. I can’t swim without nose plugs.
Old 09-22-2018, 08:00 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommurtha View Post
I used to use nose plugs but speedo etc stopped making the rubber ones with the strap. The current type for competitive swimmers have no strap and won't stay on no matter what I do.
I found some on amazon named Splaqua and they have the rubber band strap. They are flesh coloredas well so they don’t standout as much.
Old 09-22-2018, 08:03 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommurtha View Post
I used to use nose plugs but speedo etc stopped making the rubber ones with the strap. The current type for competitive swimmers have no strap and won't stay on no matter what I do.
I was losing 1 a session and the $5 a pop was adding up. I found some with the band on Amazon named Splaqua.
Old 09-22-2018, 08:04 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialk View Post
Same problem here. Nose plugs are the only solution that I have found. The family enjoys making fun of me too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My wife says “be sure to wear your nerd necklace”.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:06 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Prostar 197 2003
The medical tape works great and much cheaper. I use CVS breathable Clear tape , double pack about 5 bucks for 2 rolls each 10 yards. I use about 4 inches
Old 09-22-2018, 11:33 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 89 Prostar 190
I forgot the other thing that helps is a good farmer spit. if you don't know what that is go look it up in urban dictionary.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:11 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '13 X2 Pro Gen2, '98 30th Anniv PS190- SOLD-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Rita View Post
You don't want to think about all the crap that's floating in lake water.

Use a OTC nasal steroid spray daily during ski season (they're safe to use year-round if you think it helps) to block allergic response (Flonase, Rhinocort, Nasacort, Nasonex). NasalCrom spray is an oldie but a goodie, worth a try. There's no reason why you can't use Claritin/Zyrtec/Allegra daily during season; they're considered non-sedating, have <10% drowsiness rate and they have no problems with long-term use. Use a NetiPot or saline nasal spray immediately after skiing/footing to rinse out any lake debris. There's also no reason why you can't use Afrin occasionally, but it's NOT meant for daily use.

^^^ This! +1. It's concentrated pollen causing the problem that's flushed into lakes and rivers after a rain event. On a clam day you can often see it floating ontop of the water.

The loratadine does nothing for me personally but Flonase the last 2 yrs has been a god send, but you have to take it everyday not just when you want like Afrin. Afrin and other OTC nasal sprays are not meant for daily use and your body will get an addiction, so to speak, to it after long term use. Your nasal passages will open up but then shut like a bank vault once the medicine wears off. Then the only thing that helps is another hit of Afrin. When you try to stop it will literally take days before you will be able to breath through your nose again which is even more miserable than what you are experiencing now. Just ask your doctor about it before using Afrin sprays daily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_2_o View Post
I forgot the other thing that helps is a good farmer spit. if you don't know what that is go look it up in urban dictionary.
Ah yes, AKA The Snot Rocket. Works great for mountain biking also.

SOLD - 1998 30th Anniversary ProStar 190

Old 09-23-2018, 10:58 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2018 X23, 6000GDI
Yes, I get really clogged up after a bad spill.. I use the saline sinus rinse and have never had an issue... it gets the crap out that might have snuck in your sinuses...

Old 09-24-2018, 09:30 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 Supra Sunsport
all great responses, thank you! i have had the same issues this season on the CT river, not sure why it's just this year.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:35 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '83 Metalflake Blue on Grey S&S Powerslot, 351W
Nose Plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialk View Post
Same problem here. Nose plugs are the only solution that I have found. The family enjoys making fun of me too.

Same here. My morning ski group always has to make a joke about my "nose appliance"
I use the swimmers style and have it attached to the zipper pull on the ski vest. Once I'm up I pull it off. Works great.