Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 12-05-2016, 12:20 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Mc
Budget wakeboarding boat

First post here. Been viewing the forums
For almost 5 years now. I have gained a fair amount of mastercraft knowledge here. I hope I can get some input from someone else's experience . Coming from an I/o(sold due Out growing the wake) I have my eyes set on a 97-98 mastercraft 205 locally. Will I be dissatisfied with this boat if used mainly for wakeboarding ? And also the maintenance on my previous ski boat was a pain. Direct drives seems a lot more
Simpler compared to an I/o imo... Any input would be appreciated. Thanks for reading .
Old 12-05-2016, 07:12 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 X45 496 crusader
I believe everyone on this forum will agree you will never be disappointed moving from an i/o to a dirct drive or a v drive. You also get the added bonus of being able to surf behind it too. That being said, i cannot speak directly on the 205 since i have never owned one. However with the ballast options now, and the fact that the weight doesnt all need to be at the rear, as long as the interior layout fits your needs I think you would be well satisfied. Disclaimer: the previous statement made is all depending on the price of the boat!!
Old 12-05-2016, 07:32 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 PS 205
I recently purchased an old PS 205 but I can't personally speak to wakeboarding behind because I'm just a driver and my girls are not good enough yet to be discerning.

If you decide to go with a 205 I would expand your search to 96 and newer. They all have the same hull after 96 and there isn't a price difference based upon year (all based on condition). The later years have the advantage of a little extra storage in the rear.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 12-05-2016, 09:17 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 Malibu 23 LSV, 1990 Prostar 190
What's your budget? If you mainly wakeboard I'd be looking for a v drive.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:46 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2017 XT23 5500
Yes, you may be disappointed. Functionally, you may not like navigating a doghouse and losing some seating/hang out space. And some I/O's wakeboard better than DDs. Plus the I/O is trimmable, steers in reverse, handles chop better, etc. No question maintenance is easier in an inboard.

I would strongly recommend saving up a little more for a v drive. You'll see it on the back end for resale, and will be much more enjoyable for your use case.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:02 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 X-star
Budget is key here. What is your budget? However, I can tell you that I think I was about a close to the lowest budget there is for a good v drive wakeboard boat last year at this time. I was trying to find a v drive for under 15k (which was really difficult to find)

IMO, don't get anything other than V drive if you want it for primarily wakeboarding. If you go direct drive, you might be wishing you waited a bit longer for that V drive.

This being said you have a few options here and I won't just stick to mastercraft:

Mastercraft options:
Prostar 205V or X-star (year 2000 or later) These boats have exactly the same hull, it's a great hull. The X-star 2000 has just one ballast plumbed in factory off the transom for the ski locker, the 01's had ballast for either side of the engine, but it's still off the transom (which isn't good) If you want more ballast, you will have to install yourself or take it to your local shop. You can clear the wake decently off just the stock hull with no weight, but it takes some skill. Side note as well the 99 x-star doesn't have full wrap seating.

You can find these options for under 19k, if you look hard enough, but again it depends on options installed in the boat. I got mine for under 15k, but it need perfect pass, ballast, radio, and some other work I was willing to put into it.

Correct Craft options:
Super sport (not sure on year) or Super Air Nautique (this will have to be 2000 or later) - these will be a bit harder to find at lower prices, but if you can find one sub 18k, you are doing well.

Malibu options:

Sunsetter VLX or Wakesetter VLX - The sunsetter has the hybrid hull (supposed to be good for skiing and wakeboarding) the wakesetter is obviously better for wakeboarding.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:43 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 Malibu 23 LSV, 1990 Prostar 190
I'd still rather have a DD than an I/O and some wakeboard just fine. But you'll need more sacs and won't have much cabin space and you'll be back here in a couple years looking to upgrade boats.

Some folks like trading up all the time. If I could afford new I'd consider it but finding a used boat in excellent condition is such a chore I'd rather not do it too often. I skied a 205 this summer and it was awesome. For a wakeboarding DD you may also consider the 209.
Old 12-05-2016, 12:56 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 X45 6.0L
I'd by a wake tractor. Highest quality boat around plus they look awesome!
Old 12-05-2016, 01:15 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
^Waketractor ftw! ......Lol
I don't think you'd be disappointed by a 205 in the least. You know if it has enough room for you or not. Maint and repairs don't get any simpler in the boating world than a DD ski boat.
205 will throw a fine wakeboard wake. Had a 190 for years and somehow the X2 we have now didn't make me any better at wakeboarding, haha.
Agree a Vdrive is preferable for cabin space and generally more freeboard/surf friendly/better rough water comfort, but a 205 DD will do the trick all day long if you like that style of boat.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 12-05-2016, 02:28 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '96 205 TBI
Whether you will be disappointed or not is in the eye of the beholder.

I've got a direct drive 96 205 and love it, stonking wake when weighted correctly. No hidden ballast so you end up with bags all over the place. All the dials are mechanical/electrical with senders rather than going through a control box and/or touch screen - nothing much to go wrong!

DD is so easy to work on I would personally wouldn't consider a v-drive, you may enjoy the additional space in the centre with a v-drive but I don't find it a problem.

edit: I've brought this pic out a couple of times over the years but pretty much sums up what you can get this boat to do:

Slightly better one