Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-27-2016, 04:51 AM
eurosysytem0's Avatar
eurosysytem0 eurosysytem0 is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Boat: X7 MCX350
Location: UK south
Posts: 376
MASTERCRAFT DEALER- Is it just me?

Hi, I live in the UK and have a 2005 X7 with MCX 350. I need a new prop and a new raw water impeller. In the UK parts tend to be more expensive because of import duty/ exchange rates etc.

So I had a cunning plan!. I am visiting USA on holiday so I thought buy the parts on line and ship to hotel.

PROP
. Contacted OJ to discus best prop. On OJ recommendation went to NETTLE props. Got a good price and Prop (large/heavy item) has been shipped from OJ Tennesee to Fort Lauderdale for $23. Job done very pleased.

IMPELLER . My existing Mastercarft Supplied (UK) Impeller is a Johnson 812-B1. Contacted "friendly" Fort Lauderdale Mastercraft for price (I thought I might buy two whilst in US) and cost to deliver to Fort Lauderdale Hotel. The response I got was Quote: "I was just talking to Mike about your order. I can have the parts shipped to the hotel on Friday and they will hold them until Sunday for you. The shipping will be $25 and it is $50.98 for each impeller. You want two impellers correct?
Thank you,"


I replied with Quote: "I just don't get it! not only is your part price "significantly" higher than other dealers (Note I meant suppliers) but you want to charge me $25 to "ship" just down the road to Pier 66 in your own city. Another dealer will ship to UK for $18.[b]

They responded with. Quote: "If you show me a copy of your invoice from a different dealer then I will try and match them.
Thank you,


Needless to say I have ordered from elsewhere at significantly less cost.

Is it me? Why do I feel that when I talk to Mastercraft they immediately have two hands inside my wallet.

Is the response I got from Fort Lauderdale reasonable? Shipping in same city for a small/light item $25!!

What would you guys typically pay for a Johnson 812-B1 impeller?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-27-2016, 07:16 AM
bturner2's Avatar
bturner2 bturner2 is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Location: Brighton, MI
Posts: 3,842
Boat dealers are not in the business to provided the lowest cost by any means. They have a ton of overhead they have to cover and are primarily focused on the boaters that are in urgent need or would prefer (and can afford) to have the work completed bfor them.

You're always better off shopping on line and even then shipping can be a "wild card". I've found an Amazon Prime membership will pay for itself most times in about 3 orders, in your case this one....

https://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Pump-...THHEJ0KDZJGK0P

Another suggestion.... if you need one impeller now, you may want to consider getting two since shipping will be a considerable part of the total purchase price.

There are several places to go for boating parts on the internet. Depending on what I need I'll typically go to Discount Inboard Marine (www.skidim.com) first. I have to say though that lately Amazon with Prime has been far cheaper when including shipping. You just have to be dang confident that you know exactly what you want/need.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-27-2016, 07:30 AM
jgraham37128 jgraham37128 is offline
TT Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Boat: 2016 Mastercraft X23
Location: Center-Hill Lake
Posts: 2,770
We all buy ours from Amazon at half the price. Would love to buy from the dealer but it's almost double and Amazon delivers to my door for the half price cost.

However we have the same problems when you buy an Italian Motorcycle or German car. Those parts are aLways higher too in the US.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-27-2016, 08:21 AM
geordie-wake's Avatar
geordie-wake geordie-wake is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Boat: 99 Prostar 205v 330 LTR
Location: UK north east
Posts: 269
http://www.asap-supplies.com/johnson...ller-09-812b-1
Why buy an impellor from MC? I use a genuine impellor from these every season gasket impellor and lubricant for around 35

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-27-2016, 08:24 AM
eurosysytem0's Avatar
eurosysytem0 eurosysytem0 is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Boat: X7 MCX350
Location: UK south
Posts: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgraham37128 View Post
We all buy ours from Amazon at half the price. Would love to buy from the dealer but it's almost double and Amazon delivers to my door for the half price cost.

However we have the same problems when you buy an Italian Motorcycle or German car. Those parts are aLways higher too in the US.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
Boat dealers are not in the business to provided the lowest cost by any means. They have a ton of overhead they have to cover and are primarily focused on the boaters that are in urgent need or would prefer (and can afford) to have the work completed bfor them.

You're always better off shopping on line and even then shipping can be a "wild card". I've found an Amazon Prime membership will pay for itself most times in about 3 orders, in your case this one....

https://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Pump-...THHEJ0KDZJGK0P

Another suggestion.... if you need one impeller now, you may want to consider getting two since shipping will be a considerable part of the total purchase price.

There are several places to go for boating parts on the internet. Depending on what I need I'll typically go to Discount Inboard Marine (www.skidim.com) first. I have to say though that lately Amazon with Prime has been far cheaper when including shipping. You just have to be dang confident that you know exactly what you want/need.
In a way guys I sort of get it on the part although is it not better to sell some parts at a smaller margin and enhance the Mastercraft through life spares/support reputation than blatantly rip of customers who (have access to the www) have invested in their brand. Although I suppose if you have been mad enough to give your boat to them for routine servicing they can then screw you!!! The real stinker is the shipping cost for delivery in the same town. $25 for two impellers!!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-27-2016, 08:26 AM
eurosysytem0's Avatar
eurosysytem0 eurosysytem0 is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Boat: X7 MCX350
Location: UK south
Posts: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by geordie-wake View Post
http://www.asap-supplies.com/johnson...ller-09-812b-1
Why buy an impellor from MC? I use a genuine impellor from these every season gasket impellor and lubricant for around 35

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Hi Geordie-wake. funnily enough that's where its being delivered from. But thanks for the tip.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-27-2016, 08:35 AM
mwenger mwenger is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Boat: 2008 X-Star sold. In the market.
Location: Midwest
Posts: 297
Even MC dealers vary a ton on prices. My local MC dealer is at least double on everything I have looked for. Double even after it has been shipped to my door. Its always good to price shop.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-27-2016, 09:18 AM
mzimme's Avatar
mzimme mzimme is offline
MC Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Boat: 2006 20' Vdrive
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 5,454
This forum could probably be very helpful for you.

I just looked to see what the US postal service flat rate boxes would charge for shipping. To the UK, in 6-10 business days, a small flat rate box (fit however much you can, but two impellers should be no problem) would be $33.95 USD for shipping. If you paypal someone over on this side of the pond the money to purchase impellers on amazon, and add those shipping costs, you'd still likely come out ahead.

I'd do it for you if you need it in the future. Keep that in mind.
__________________
-Mike
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-27-2016, 09:22 AM
Wicker68's Avatar
Wicker68 Wicker68 is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Boat: '09 CSX220 SS
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by eurosysytem0 View Post
In a way guys I sort of get it on the part although is it not better to sell some parts at a smaller margin and enhance the Mastercraft through life spares/support reputation than blatantly rip of customers who (have access to the www) have invested in their brand. Although I suppose if you have been mad enough to give your boat to them for routine servicing they can then screw you!!! The real stinker is the shipping cost for delivery in the same town. $25 for two impellers!!
It's not the same town. South Florida Mastercraft is located in Boynton Beach which is about 30 miles north of Fort Lauderdale. I have been dealing with Mike, Bruce and Dan from there regularly and have always been treated well.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-27-2016, 10:14 AM
eurosysytem0's Avatar
eurosysytem0 eurosysytem0 is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Boat: X7 MCX350
Location: UK south
Posts: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicker68 View Post
It's not the same town. South Florida Mastercraft is located in Boynton Beach which is about 30 miles north of Fort Lauderdale. I have been dealing with Mike, Bruce and Dan from there regularly and have always been treated well.
I stand corrected. I googled Ft Lauderdale Mastercraft and they came up. Having now checked, you are right its 30 miles. So apologies. You are better placed than I to know whether $25 is a fair and reasonable price to move an impeller from Boynton Beach to Ft Lauderdale in 4 days. Especially as another US supplier wanted $18 to ship to UK.
Good to know you have been treated well.

Hence the title of this thread "Is it just me?"

This thread has probably run its course with the consensus being, unless you have to, don't buy spares from MC dealers.

Same over here.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:16 AM.


2018