Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 09-08-2014, 03:22 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Inboards
OK found out a bit more info today and not good news on my end. seems that the strut has been replaced which probably explains why the piece that is broken is the way it is. Anyway I'm going to pull it to make sure there is no real glass damage under there if there is fix it and 4200 it. In doing this does anyone have a procedure on how to properly align the strut so it is inline with the center of the boat. At this point I do not want to cut out the log as it might be in the proper place currently and the strut may be misaligned.

any help would be appreciated. thanks again
Old 10-01-2014, 01:45 AM
TT Regular

oh my oh my if there is a cover on the pylon kids check it out. So the corrosion had it so ballooned up that there was no way to pull it out. So I ended up having to unscrew the floor up around it. lift it up slightly, put a sawzall in between the floor and cross-member and cut it out. yes that is al dust in the second picture there.

and now some pictures of the corrosion and the dumb pylon embedded into the cross-member along with a few pictures showing how bad the pylon was

finally drilled a few holes on the bottom part of the pylon, got one side to slightly crush put a lot of heat on it and it finally came out. that was a pain.

then in the back end of the boat i had to remove the prop shaft so that i can get to the cutlass bearings and replace them. here it is seperated

Attached Images

Old 10-28-2014, 05:31 AM
TT Regular

so went to change the cutlass bearings as described here http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/replacing_a_cutlass and it did not go as nicely as they show. any ideas if i have the bearings cut through and all the screw did was pop out a small round piece in there. now i have it cut in several places and and not doing very well with it. any help is appreciated.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:40 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: ProStar 190, 1989, 351W
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_2_o View Post
so went to change the cutlass bearings as described here http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/replacing_a_cutlass and it did not go as nicely as they show. any ideas if i have the bearings cut through and all the screw did was pop out a small round piece in there. now i have it cut in several places and and not doing very well with it. any help is appreciated.
I changed mine two years ago. I'd recommend spraying w/ PB Blaster and let it soak for a couple of days. At least, and keep adding PB if it's drying out. The pieces should come out with some light tapping using a hammer and wooden dowel.
Somewhere between SML and LKG
Old 10-30-2014, 02:25 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft Tristar 190 1989 351 Indmar
I agree with Waterlogged 882. Use resin and fiberglass mat, its stronger. Make sure you saturate the mat well with resin, it will make it stronger. Do not use too much hardener as if it sets up to fast, I find is get a bit brittle.
Hope this helps
Old 11-22-2014, 07:41 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 M/C 205, 5.7 TBI
H2O- Was this boat a salt water boat?? the corrosion on the pylon and other areas you have shown look suspiciously like salt water. I had a similar issue with the 205 I finished- Had to hunt all over but found replacement plates in a parts room in alabama. Additionally I think youve already fixed the shaft log but the aluminum one you had in the boat stopped being manufactured and MC went to a replacement composite shaft log. Ill send a picture.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:43 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 M/C 205, 5.7 TBI
This is the replacement shaft log I ordered thru MC - $17.50
Attached Images

Old 11-23-2014, 12:08 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '83 Metalflake Blue on Grey S&S Powerslot, 351W
Shaft log

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnut View Post
This is the replacement shaft log I ordered thru MC - $17.50