Go Back   TeamTalk > Classifieds Buy/Sell > For Sale: Parts & Accessories

Old 07-16-2018, 04:07 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, 280 SST, 2005, Twin 375 Crusader
Quote:
Originally Posted by slalomjunkie View Post
I never said it sucked, I think it would be a fine product for its intended application/audience. I am just giving you things to think about.
Yep I know what you meant i'm just messing around. I know a lot of people that actually prefer the overshoot start vs the slowdown into the target speed. It's not the intent to force the overshoot though...so yea ..needs work.

I am pretty sure they had a skier in the video clip but as to if they were doing any slalom at the time I doubt it. I know I like to brag about the system but I'm pretty sure we would have seem some dips in there if they had a couple pre-turns and subsequent drag on the ski boat.
Boat: 2005 Maristar 280 SST Twin Crusader 375
Old 07-16-2018, 04:58 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashCourse316 View Post
Yep I know what you meant i'm just messing around. I know a lot of people that actually prefer the overshoot start vs the slowdown into the target speed. It's not the intent to force the overshoot though...so yea ..needs work.

I am pretty sure they had a skier in the video clip but as to if they were doing any slalom at the time I doubt it. I know I like to brag about the system but I'm pretty sure we would have seem some dips in there if they had a couple pre-turns and subsequent drag on the ski boat.

Actually, not a slalom skier – 37 kph is sloowww…

WRT the overshoot, here’s what to think about… With PP or SG, it is easy to overshoot the gates/one ball… Then the boat will overcompensate downward in speed to get the skier an accurate time… So much so that it kills the skier, as if the driver killed the throttle… Then it picks back up again, giving the skier a feeling like skiing with a bungee cord. fast-slow-fast-slow, then it gets normal around 4 ball. SG is better than PP by a mile, but you do need to understand how to drive it.

I hear theres a new software update available to minimize that now.
Old 08-21-2018, 02:33 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1999
Update on Steadypass - working on cabling issue. Some test installs (far not all) revealed EMI/other sensitivity, so trying new cables there. who'd think cable matters

And check out two concepts i'm playing with:
Larger, non-polarized screen
And - mass-produceable gauge body. Yes, not a fancy one, not waterproof yet, but is a something I can include in the DIY kit.

Updates - in Blog.
If you'd like a monthly newsletter - join here.
News also on twitter - @Steadypass
Once we'll get stability and functionality on par - we'll work on screen optimization. Yes, no need to show temps/voltage all the time. Probably "if speed >5 then hide all" kindof optimization.

Old 10-02-2018, 05:21 PM
TT Enthusiast

(2 month revival post)

For anyone that was looking for a better video of the unit functioning. Includes video of servo synced up starting at about 50 seconds. Water was not nearly calm enough to wakeboard or ski as you can see. The system keeps much closer to target with glass water obviously. within .5 MPH in the rough water though is pretty good and the clip shows how active the system is.

Let me know if you have any suggestions!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0iDjN5Jejo
Old 10-02-2018, 09:42 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
This is such an excellent project.
A friend and I have been working on something similar for, oh, about 10 years now - every now and then one of us gets a bit of time, and redesigns the system. We have a few other goals (for example, automated skier pull-up at various levels of acceleration). I just picked it back up again and am in the process of redesigning the HW for a more modern CPU.

I love your servo hardware design - we cheated by going to the local junkyard and finding some nice cruise control servos off late-80's pickup trucks that'll live in the engine compartment, and have sufficient room for the electronics board. Our intention was to make a purely analog control panel - a speed knob, an acceleration knob, and a couple of LEDs for status (armed, controlling, etc).

Let me know if you want to compare notes.
Old 10-02-2018, 10:14 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1981 MasterCraft 351W slot
nice to see a cost friendly speed control!
Old 10-03-2018, 06:03 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2001 X-Star
European Development

Thought I'd pitch in here, I am UK based and have one of the beta kits. I'm in the process of building up all the parts I need - and I think I'm there now. I've got the system powered up on the bench and set the min and max throttle parameters. Next task is to make up a servicable servo and cable end mount as it's currently screwed to a bit of left over siding from the shed.

Boat is out for the winter now, so I'll install over off season and test on my local lake before heading back to Scotland for the season.

Fun project!

Boat is an '01 xstar.

Tom
Old 10-03-2018, 01:07 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankSchwab View Post
This is such an excellent project.
A friend and I have been working on something similar for, oh, about 10 years now - every now and then one of us gets a bit of time, and redesigns the system. We have a few other goals (for example, automated skier pull-up at various levels of acceleration). I just picked it back up again and am in the process of redesigning the HW for a more modern CPU.

I love your servo hardware design - we cheated by going to the local junkyard and finding some nice cruise control servos off late-80's pickup trucks that'll live in the engine compartment, and have sufficient room for the electronics board. Our intention was to make a purely analog control panel - a speed knob, an acceleration knob, and a couple of LEDs for status (armed, controlling, etc).

Let me know if you want to compare notes.

Better than nothin...
You have any issues with yours that have gone unsolved?

My main focus is going to be working on and acceleration profile and overshoot control while the "CEO" is working on hardware design improvements. Hopefully working towards a plug-n-play solution that we can mass produce easier. The current code is open source and will be distributed upon request. If you want to take the code and redesign your own controller vs buying an already made solution from us at very low profit, more power to you, have at it. :-)

Feel free to email us a request for the source code if you want to look at it. Also feel free to attach your source code as a gift for me to browse through and see if there's anything I like
Old 10-03-2018, 01:18 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1redTA View Post
nice to see a cost friendly speed control!
We are doing our best to keep the cost as low as possible for the base units!

the first test phase was $200(at cost) shipped. With the new improvements to the design and help from some testers, the code has been improved and the design of the unit is much better since the start of the season. The second round of units which is shipping now is $250. Better cable management and a 3.5" 3d printed gauge case(or other custom case upon request) along with many other improvements. We hope you will see the extra improvements make up for at least $50 worth of your future years of precise speed. We will supply the servo for around $77(at cost) upon request, or you can research and buy your own(we have recommended specifications). Add on a bowden cable kit for about $20-50 and the total cost to install is under $400.

No word on production pricing yet since there is not a current estimated final cost. But I can say it will not be $1000+
Old 10-03-2018, 01:20 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomski2001 View Post
Thought I'd pitch in here, I am UK based and have one of the beta kits. I'm in the process of building up all the parts I need - and I think I'm there now. I've got the system powered up on the bench and set the min and max throttle parameters. Next task is to make up a servicable servo and cable end mount as it's currently screwed to a bit of left over siding from the shed.

Boat is out for the winter now, so I'll install over off season and test on my local lake before heading back to Scotland for the season.

Fun project!

Boat is an '01 xstar.

Tom
Sweet boat! don't forget to Take a bunch of install picture and send them our way!
I'm working on a way to submit installation pictures for each step of the install. will be trying to get that open by the start of next season for all the spring installs!

Tags
speedcontrol, steadypass