Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-16-2009, 02:53 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Used to have 2006 X-45....
Is My Hydraulic Steering Supposed to Be Stiff?

So I got to spend 4 days at Lake Powell this weekend. Got to really put the X45 through the paces in some less than desireable conditions. Tubing heaven really, and I think that pushes a boat more than anything. The boat performs very well overall. But more on that for another thread with pics.

I have a 2006 X 45 with hydraulic steering. The steering is pretty stiff. It takes both hands on the wheel to turn either direction. I won't mention another brand....but my friend who has a 24 foot boat from another manufacturer, has steering that can be handled with my pinkie. It is not hydraulic.

I also noticed that if I have the boat on the trailer, I cannot budge the rudder, if I crawl under there and turn it by hand. The rudder stays rock solid if I let go of the steering wheel as well while driving.

There is no play in the steering. It simply takes a fair amount of effort to turn that boat.

I like that when I am cruising along, I can actually walk away from the helm (not that I want to very often) and the boat won't curve wildly like my last boat did, but I literally got fatigued after an hour of driving kids in circles.

I never really noticed it before, because this was the first time out tubing seriously. Wakeboarding has been mostly what we have used it for... and driving straight lines has not given me any trouble.

Is this normal?
Old 06-16-2009, 10:30 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft X-Star 2006 L18
This is not normal, I have an 06 X-Star that has hydralic steering and you can turn it with one hand with no problem, have you checked your fluid level ?
Old 06-16-2009, 10:37 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1978 Stars and Stripes, PCM 351 (60hrs)
Sounds like it's too stiff. I pulled tubes at our church middleschool camp for a week behind a borrowed B'liner two years ago and I feel your pain - I was completely exhausted after a few hours! That was actually the catalyst/justification for me getting my MC! My '78 S&S (w/ cable steering) can be easily be steered with a pinky. I had a 26' tollycraft (cabin cruiser) with hydraulic steering that could also be steered with one finger in the spokes. Hydraulic steering typically has no or very little feedback, i.e. pushing on the rudder won't turn the wheel, so the trailer test isn't very telling.

You didn't state whether the wheel is stiff while the boat is on the trailer, or just when it's in the water and moving. If it's free on the trailer, but stiff while at speed, I'd say there's a rudder balance issue, but that's very unlikely as long as it's a stock rudder and no one cut off the part in front of the rudder post.

Disconnect the steering ram from the rudder arm and see if the rudder will move freely (by hand). If not, your rudder stuffing box is too tight or something is bound up where it passes through the hull. If the rudder moves freely and the (disconnected) ram is stiff, you've got hydraulic issues. If they're both free, but stiff when connected, then something is misaligned. bound up, or not right in the way the ram is connected.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:30 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum View Post
This is not normal, I have an 06 X-Star that has hydralic steering and you can turn it with one hand with no problem, have you checked your fluid level ?
How do I check the fluid level?

Obviously if the fluid is low, then I will have to investigate where it went...
Old 06-16-2009, 04:25 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft X-Star 2006 L18
Someone else might can add to this but I was told that you add fluid thru a cap that is on the right side of the drivers dash on top , mine has a little black cap that unscrews
Old 06-16-2009, 04:52 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum View Post
Someone else might can add to this but I was told that you add fluid thru a cap that is on the right side of the drivers dash on top , mine has a little black cap that unscrews
I have that little cap. Have never dared fuss with it though. I suppose that air in the line might make it harder to steer, somewhat like air in your brake lines on a car makes it harder to brake. But I have no idea exactly how this mechanism works and if that is a plausible explanation.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:31 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 14 xstar
GoRed - My 45 has the hydraulic steering, and i can turn it with one finger. Also, when changing my oil last week, I grabbed the rudder, it turned fairly easy. So you've got something wrong. FYI - the manual says "don't fk with this, take it to the dealer". I recommend a call to them to ask if there's a few checks you can do without bringing her in.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:02 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpabreo View Post
GoRed - My 45 has the hydraulic steering, and i can turn it with one finger. Also, when changing my oil last week, I grabbed the rudder, it turned fairly easy. So you've got something wrong. FYI - the manual says "don't fk with this, take it to the dealer". I recommend a call to them to ask if there's a few checks you can do without bringing her in.
In fact, when I swapped out the prop for a different prop last week, I needed to turn the rudder a little to make space for the prop to come off the shaft. I tried my best to turn it and it was rock solid. I ended up having to get in the boat and turn the steering wheel.

Thanks for the input. I will give them a call tomorrow and see what they say.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:11 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft X-30 2007 LY6
I have hydraulic steering on my X30 and it is much tighter than the standard cable rack, but not to the point of being hard to turn. My rudder stays locked if you try to turn it from under the boat which seems normal because when underway the wheel stays where you put it unlike the cable control. There is a bleed proceedure for the rudder cylinder, but if you are uncomfortable with doing it don't because you could loose all steering if you let a bunch of air in the system. Look under the dash at the clear tube that the fill cap on your dash connects to. You should see fluid in the tube. If you want the fill & purge proceedure let me know & I'll send it to you.
Old 03-07-2016, 11:38 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft, X30, 2006, MCX
Re: Power Steering Bleed Procedure

Eagle Lake Rebel:

I have a Mastercraft X30 from 2006 with a small leak at one of the 90 degree L's as they thread into the steering wheel. I'll need to correct this leak by removing the hose and then tightening the L. I'm guessing afterwards I'll have to do a purge procedure. If you still have it would you send it my way?

Thanks,

Tim