Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 03-21-2018, 10:39 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft 86 190 351
Faria Gauges on older boat?

We are doing some TLC on our 1986 and our gauges need ALOT of TLC. Our speedos (old Airguide) aren't working well, if at all even with new hoses, compensators and pitots. Almost all the guages the internal paint is flaking off. Not even sure if I am getting anything accurate on any of them.

I have heard good things about the Faria line of marine gauges and thinking about replacing them all, and maybe even using GPS speedo instead.

Anyone had any issues changing out the gauges on an older Mastercraft to newer ones? I would assume, the senders and such on the engine would work with the new ones too... don't think much of that has changed over the years.

Thanks for any advice...

Pete
Old 03-22-2018, 10:31 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1998 MariStar 225VRS
You shouldn't have any issues as long as your senders are still good. I had to update mine a few years ago because some the tach was reading way off, and the speedometer as reading erratically. Not to mention everything doesn't look as dated with a cluster of newer modern looking gauges. I did use Faria gauges on the swap.

1998 MariStar 225VRS, 350ci LT1

Authorized Dealer for
Old 03-22-2018, 10:40 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1998 MariStar 225VRS
Here is the before and after. I installed an identical looking depth gauge a year later.
Name:  Gauge 1.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  58.9 KB
Name:  Gauge 2.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  65.3 KB

1998 MariStar 225VRS, 350ci LT1

Authorized Dealer for
Old 03-22-2018, 11:55 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '04 X9
the previous owner put a faria tach into our 94, and mid last season i put a matching speedo in as well - along with new pitots (those semi-universal ones you trim the base of to get to match your bolt pattern)

i think it came out looking pretty good and matches the overall aesthetic of the older dash. not too modern. plus a lot cleaner (and functional!) than the original speedo

Old 03-27-2018, 10:00 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft 86 190 351
Thanks for all the info... I am definately leaning towards Faria. Might get a bit radical and switch out the dual speedos and tach with one GPS Speedo, one TACH with Hourmeter, and one 4 in one Gauge... and take all the others out or fill them in. If I go GPS Speedo, don't need two so this way I have 3 identical sized gauges in the middle of dash.

Tags
1986, faria, gauges replacement