Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 08-28-2018, 02:42 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, prostar 2001 205v
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC25 View Post
See I wish I could agree with the resale comment too, but Iíve experienced first hand itís not true. Lol
buy a diesel for resale is what I keep hearing
Old 08-28-2018, 03:09 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X2, Pontoon, Nitro 882
I Have owned toyota and chevy. For me the highlander would be more reliable. However that is about it. It won't be as comfortable and you won't get the technology you may or may not want. Toyota is always behind on that stuff. They just don't change anything. But that does add to reliability but leaves them at the bottom for the fun stuff.

i had a 4 runner once, it was a terrible POS. Upgraded to a sequioa and that was great other than mpg. Now in a tahoe which has all the bells and whistles but not sure it will compete with the reliability after 100k miles.

its give and take. Buy the one you want to drive. If you don't like the comfort in the Toyota, get the GM.
Old 08-28-2018, 03:23 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, X2, 2004, Violet (purple) & white ... previous 1983 black/silver stars
Quote:
Originally Posted by curver900 View Post
buy a diesel for resale is what I keep hearing
ha, yeah but neither of those come in a diesel model

as I stated, I have done a detail comparison between these two and each have very few cons between them including reliability. I was even surprised to find the Traverse has more cargo capacity than a Tahoe with rear seat up and down. I have been very impressed with my Chevy Cruze commuter car so far, and very pleased with the service at the dealership. I haven't been as impressed with the service department at the Toyota place.

keep the comments coming, we are looking to move pretty quickly with some of the incentives available right now.
Old 08-28-2018, 03:25 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, X2, 2004, Violet (purple) & white ... previous 1983 black/silver stars
Quote:
Only reason I commented on it, is because I have a new Tacoma with this engine and I hate the way it operates.
I need to look into this ... what is it you don't like?
Old 08-28-2018, 04:48 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: X-45
This reliability claim of superiority for Toyota over Chevy is interesting. My first hand experience with both is they are the same since I have put 100,000 miles on both cars and trucks. I still drive an old Toyo as a commuter since it just runs but I have the same issues. I have replaced suspension parts and leaking gaskets and air flow sensors at $235 a pop for the part that failed at different times on both banks of the V6. Now I am battling more gaskets but the Toyo dealer said it's normal for my engine. Huh? This is supposed to be the bullet proof V6.

Now that being said..... how reliable are they compared to other brands? I will leave that alone and to each their own but I am shopping cars for my daughter who will start driving soon. Where I am looking? Chevy and Toyota.

Both the Highlander and Traverse will suit you well. The V6 in the Traverse is a proven engine and very good. I have multiple family and friends with that V6 and are very happy.
Old 08-28-2018, 04:50 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2016 X30, 85 S&S
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmkkdx View Post
I need to look into this ... what is it you don't like?
Itís like VTec in a Honda motor. You have to rev the daylights out of it

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2018!!!!!!

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...30#post1417530

2016 X30-Wetsounds galore
2017 Misty Harbor Tri-Toon
1985 S&S- Gone but never forgotten
Old 08-28-2018, 05:17 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2003 PS197, MCX, Powerslot
My company 08 Highlander AWD is just shy of 310,000 miles. Original engine and tranny. Still has the original tranny fluid in it. I would take it over any similar gm/chevy any day of the week and twice on Saturday. My boss gave it to me and went into a traverse in 2011 and regrets it. He has had many issues with the traverse including the fun swaying at highway speeds issue. It was interesting having 6 grown adults in his traverse going to lunch one day....all swaying in unison. He has already gotten rid of the traverse for a Honda Pilot....and the Highlander remains. No question here, just a smart purchase to make.
Old 08-28-2018, 05:42 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2003 X-Series MCX
Quote:
Itís like VTec in a Honda motor. You have to rev the daylights out of it
Dude.... it ain't a big block. you have a mid size V6. It needs the revs to make power..
Old 08-28-2018, 05:43 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2003 X-Series MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain planet View Post
My company 08 Highlander AWD is just shy of 310,000 miles. Original engine and tranny. Still has the original tranny fluid in it. I would take it over any similar gm/chevy any day of the week and twice on Saturday. My boss gave it to me and went into a traverse in 2011 and regrets it. He has had many issues with the traverse including the fun swaying at highway speeds issue. It was interesting having 6 grown adults in his traverse going to lunch one day....all swaying in unison. He has already gotten rid of the traverse for a Honda Pilot....and the Highlander remains. No question here, just a smart purchase to make.
BIAS!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-28-2018, 05:50 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2016 X30, 85 S&S
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakedrum03 View Post
Dude.... it ain't a big block. you have a mid size V6. It needs the revs to make power..
The 4.0 V6 it replaces had adequate low end torque delivery

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2018!!!!!!

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...30#post1417530

2016 X30-Wetsounds galore
2017 Misty Harbor Tri-Toon
1985 S&S- Gone but never forgotten