Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 08-04-2017, 08:38 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle80mc View Post
Hey all,

Another quick update on my progress. I dropped the tracking fins off and picked them up today. They were in horrible condition, they were bent and somehow the middle fin had nearly half of it missing. How only the middle fin got broken is still a mystery to mean. Anyway, the fins look great but it ended up costing nearly $400. You know how the saying goes, break out another thousand (BOAT). We also got the carburetor and transmission of the old engine. I was planning on buying a new carburetor but a new one would've costed about $800 so I settled for a rebuild kit for about $115. The new engine and old transmission is in good shape. New engine came with a new alternator but one of the exhaust manifold bolts is broken off in the block. We now have to remove it, which will be a major chore. One little slip up and I could be buying a whole new block. Let's hope nothing goes wrong. My neighbor Dan had the genius idea of cleaning the carburetor using a gravity fed blast gun and baking soda. He said that the carburetor metal is too soft to use any metal brushes on it so just fill the gun with baking soda and blast away. The carburetor looks much better and will get to rebuilding it this weekend.

Cheers,

Kyle
What carburetor kit did you buy for $115?

$125 LED TRAILER LIGHT PACKAGE - FREE SHIPPING
REBUILDING HOLLEY MARINE CARBS - $325 DELIVERED
REBUILT COMPLETE MARINE HOLLEY 4160 CARBS $495 DELIVERED
Email - [email protected]
Old 08-05-2017, 07:45 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '13 x10 with 6.0 and '93 25th Anniversary Limited Edition
Looking good ... love these threads
Old 08-08-2017, 07:52 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2003 Prostar 197 35th Anniversary #8
Take it for what its worth, but I would return the rebuild kit and send it to "thatsmrmastercraft" on here and save yourself alot of headache.

Don't get me wrong I can appreciate the "I can do it myself" attitude but a man has to know his limitations on a project like this, and if you are willing to take some sound advice from pretty knowledgeable gentleman on here, this advice is well constructed to help you not hinder you.
2003 Prostar 197 35th Anniversary
Old 08-18-2017, 06:52 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1980 Stars and Stripes, 351w
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1redTA View Post
did you set the pine in the old fiberglass shell? I saw the pics and I think that is the method you used but I wonder about how well the strength from the board will transfer to the hull. It's just a thought I'm not criticizing I have the same project ahead of me.

Thanks Art
Hey Art, you are correct in how I did it. Structurally it feels as strong if not stronger than the other stringer. Of course I don't have a quantitative way of knowing how strong it is versus the other.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:58 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by footindave View Post
Take it for what its worth, but I would return the rebuild kit and send it to "thatsmrmastercraft" on here and save yourself alot of headache.

Don't get me wrong I can appreciate the "I can do it myself" attitude but a man has to know his limitations on a project like this, and if you are willing to take some sound advice from pretty knowledgeable gentleman on here, this advice is well constructed to help you not hinder you.
I appreciate the concern Dave. I have my dad and neighbor who have both rebuilt carbs when they were younger. I would have never bought the kit on my own, it's way over my head to take on by myself. I bought the rebuild kit from my local parts store, they matched the kit to the carb when I brought it in.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:41 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1979 Mastercraft Stars and Stripes
Any more work??
Old 09-27-2017, 05:41 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1994 prostar, 350 indmar
great project you and your dad have undertaken, and i love a good project thread. but im going to be the guy asking the unpleasant questions right now and for that im sorry. Why would you disregard sound advice on wood selection to save 50 bucks when its such a big deal to replace when the pine rots (i have built 3 boats from plans and raw stock and learned the hard way) and it will not last more than 5-10 years if your just sticking (or glueing) a board in between the old glass/polyester leftovers... all it takes is moisture to travel along the screws securing the engine/tranny mounts to rot the wood around the screw use douglas fir as a minimum.

the correct way to do this job is to remove the stringer completely, including whats left of the fibreglass. sand 6 inch wide area where the stringer sits, cover that with biax fibreglass tape /epoxy. to get a sound bond. then place the pine or laminated marine plywood stringer (BS1088 or BS5656) in a bed of epoxy/wood flour mix (consistency of peanutbutter) then working wet in wet, do a 1/2 inch fillet in the paste and cover with biax glass tape with 3 inch overlap on both sides...
cover the stringer with biax glass and epoxy ..

use marine grade or GOOD exterior grade preforably okume (but meranti will do) plywood only for the floor, and seal it with epoxy (thinned on the first coat for penetration) om BOTH sides

i would consider using polyurethane foam under the floor, it makes for a stiffer boat and quieter ride

you are spending hundreds of hours on this project so there is no justification to skimp on materials unless you got it for free and intend to flip it for quick and dirty profit

sorry for the bashing... but its important
Old 09-27-2017, 09:34 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1994 prostar, 350 indmar
pretty good How to: https://bateau2.com/howto/repair.php
Old 11-16-2017, 05:02 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1993 Stars and Stripes 190
subscribed! Keep going! And keep us posted! Great project!
Old 12-19-2017, 05:47 PM
TT Newbie

Hey all,

Sorry for no activity for the past few months. I have been extremely busy at school and am now on winter break. That being said I will be updating my progress later this week.

I also wanted to take the time to reply to the comments about the way we redid the stringer. In hindsight, yes, I should have listened to everyone's advice and done it the way that is guaranteed to work. So, down the road if the replaced stringer goes bad so be it and I will pay for the repercussions. I know you guys are just trying to look out for my best interests with the boat. Moving forward, we have gotten the engine all assembled and will be posting pictures when I update my progress so stay tuned.

Thanks everyone,

Kyle

Tags
1980, restoration, stringer