Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 03-08-2016, 12:12 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1995 Mastercraft Prostar 190
'95 MC Prostar 190 Light Restoration Work

Hi everyone. My girlfriend, Katie, and I picked up our first ski boat a couple weeks ago and we are looking forward to a few restoration projects. We don't have much knowledge or experience in fixing up boats, but we've been lurking the forums and finding a ton of valuable info (thanks for that!). Thought we would start a thread to document our progress, share what worked/didn't work for us, and ask questions along the way. Pretty stoked to have found this awesome community of boat lovers.

A little bit about the boat... It's a '95 Prostar 190. It's got a 2011 Corvette LT1 engine with just under 200 hours on it. We're the 4th owners and the guy we bought it from had it for 11 years. I think it's in pretty good shape (don't have much to compare it to though). It needs some oxidation removal, new decals (that match), teak oil, to have the speakers wired through the wake tower, new upholstery (eventually... it's not in terrible shape, but has a few nicks. We'll just clean it up for now), to have the cup holder piece that screws into the engine cover repainted or replaced, and a few more little things here and there. I think, haha. I'm sure more will come up.

Here's a few pictures from before we'd done anything. I'll get some up without the cover within the next couple days.
Attached Images

Old 03-08-2016, 12:25 AM
TT Newbie

Decal Removal

We were able to get most of the old decals off just by using a blow dryer and peeling them up. Some of them (mainly all the ones that were silver) were just chipping away, so we picked up a 3M eraser wheel from Advanced Auto Parts, which got them off really easily. It's naked now and we're just waiting on the sander/polisher, rubbing compound, polish, and pads we ordered before we get back to work. There's definitely a noticeable difference in color between where the decals were and weren't and looks like there's been at least 2 sets on it already. Hoping to be able to fix that with the wet sanding/compounding/polishing process.
Attached Images

Old 03-08-2016, 12:39 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2011 X25
Have fun!. Went through this a little over a year ago with the same boat, but most of mine were mechanical issues. LT1 was an option from 93-98.
Old 03-08-2016, 12:58 AM
TT Newbie

Re-wiring through the wake tower

Alright, here's a couple before pictures to show how the tower speakers were wired. We taped off and marked where in the fiberglass we'd drill a pilot hole followed by a 3/8" hole (big enough to fit all 4 wires). I used a wood drill bit in reverse and had a pretty easy time with it. I read some info on using a stone ball/pyramid attachment on the surface of and inside of the hole to keep the gel coat from cracking, so I went ahead and did that just to be safe. Looks clean I think. I removed and replaced the existing wires (to have 1 continuous line of wire to each speaker instead of several different lengths attached with connectors). And then the fun part...
Attached Images

Old 03-08-2016, 01:01 AM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun R View Post
Have fun!. Went through this a little over a year ago with the same boat, but most of mine were mechanical issues. LT1 was an option from 93-98.
Thanks man! Oh okay, didn't know that. I'm glad to have a list of cosmetic issues to work on instead of mechanical, for sure.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:23 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 2008 X14, w/ LY6 400HP w/ 1.22 Ratio Tran
Looks like your pretty handy so far. Congrats and have fun!

2008 MasterCraft X14, LY6, 400 HP
1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205 (SOLD)

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 03-08-2016, 09:39 AM
TT Newbie

Thanks Double D. Just taking it nice and slow and trying to have fun with it.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:52 AM
Banned

Boat: 2006 X9
I've never seen a tower wired like that.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:00 AM
TT Newbie

@kylenowad. Are you saying you've never seen a tower wired how the before pics showed it or how we decided to wire?
Old 03-10-2016, 11:44 PM
TT Newbie

Re-wiring the wake tower, cont....

Sorry for the delay but we didn't have any pictures of the finished project! So to end the project...We drilled holes around the break down point of the tower so we would still be able to drop it down for storage. We then tied a small plastic bag to a fishing line and used a shop vac to suck the fishing line to the next hole. It was a very tedious process but we think it turned out great! We realized we had to tape off each hole as we went along to create enough suction to pull the line through each hole. Once the fishing line was through a hole we tied it to the wire and pulled the wires through. To get the wires through the hole we used a bobby pin and rigged a loop in the end. The project took approximately 3 hours to complete.
Attached Images

Tags
decal removal, prostar, restoration, rewire