Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Upholstery

Old 01-23-2006, 05:54 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1990 Prostar 190 351
Back seat construction

Hi everyone,

A couple people asked for some pictures of the construction of the back seat I built last winter. I tried to e-mail them through the private messages area but was unable to figure out how to send attachments so I am sending them out this way. If you are not interested in how I built my back seat, I apologize. If you are interested and have any questions please feel free to ask away.

Bruce
Attached Images

New boat - 1993 Prostar 205. Bought in better shape than the 190 was but still needed some work.
Old 01-23-2006, 05:55 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Looks good, Bruce!

Red 1998 Ski Nautique, PCM GT40, 310 hp, , Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG/Zbox.

FAQ

Be kind. Have fun.
Old 01-23-2006, 05:59 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, ProStar 190, 1986, 351.
what did you make the frame out of? did you do the upholstry yourself?
Old 01-23-2006, 06:11 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2017 PS
Send a message via AIM to rodltg2
yeah, that looks really good.!
Old 01-23-2006, 06:22 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1976 Mastercraft Stars & Stripes 351W
Wow! Very nice!

Our '76 Stars & Stripes

Canis meus id comedit
Old 01-23-2006, 06:34 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: What ever floats your.....
Nice work. Did you duplicate an existing, or did you do that from scratch?
Old 01-23-2006, 06:51 PM
TT Enthusiast

Hi again,

I made the frame out of 2X2's and plywood. I basically built a simple box for the base, then cut two pieces of plywood to form the curved corners. I really wanted curved corners, not 90 degree ones, as think they look much nicer and are more comfortable. They do complicate things though. What I did was draw the curve I wanted on the top piece of plywood leaving two inches at the back. I then cut the same curve in the bottom piece but left four inches at the back, which gave me a two inch 'slope' to the back. The tricky part was filling the curves in. When I started I thought I could build a 90 degree corner and the upholstery guy would fill the corner with foam or something. Not to be said the upholstery man. So I had to bend a mahogany door skin around the curve and glue and screw it in place. I hadn't done that before and it was a bit tricky. You can see in the picture where I had to have a seam and I glued a small piece of thin plywood on the backside of it.

I covered all surfaces with a sealer and paint so I expect the seat to last as long as the boat and it is very easy to lift in and out.

If you are thinking about building a back seat here are a couple recommendations:

A two inch slope is about right. A thirteen inch high back is minimum. I used two inch foam on the seats and it's not thick enough. It's o.k. on the backrests but three inch is required on the seats. I'm changing that this year. If you want storage under the rear seat, like I did, then you will sacrifice comfort by having a lower backrest. I have 5 1/2 inches under the seat so I can fit bumpers etc. under there. Someone mentioned wanting a fat sac to fit under. You could, but you would really sacrifice backrest height and comfort.

I did not do the upholstery myself as it is really key to having a good looking finished product and I don't know what I'm doing.

Here's what it looks like in the boat. It's not perfect but it works pretty well.

Bruce
Attached Images

New boat - 1993 Prostar 205. Bought in better shape than the 190 was but still needed some work.
Old 01-23-2006, 06:57 PM
TT Enthusiast

Workin 4 toys,

No I had no template. there was nothing in the boat when I bought it except a broken motor cover. I got all my ideas from poking around this web-site and looking at peoples pictures. I had never been in a PS 190 prior to buying this one last year so it's been a great learning process.

Bruce

Old 01-23-2006, 07:07 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1976 Mastercraft Stars & Stripes 351W
That looks awesome!

Can you tell me the dimension from the finished floor to the top of the transom? I think my boat has less room to work with...so I may have to sacrifice either cushion thickness, height off the floor, or backrest height...

Thanks!

Our '76 Stars & Stripes

Canis meus id comedit
Old 01-23-2006, 07:08 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: MasterCraft, Stars and Stripes, 1983, 351 W.
Send a message via AIM to SKI*MC Send a message via MSN to SKI*MC
Could you PM me those measurements that you had, i want to compare them to mine. We are making a new back seat for our 83. The bottom of the seat is going to double as ballast. It is going to be all fabricated of alluminum. Hopefully it turns out as nice as yours. Good Job!