Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 07-15-2018, 04:21 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1993 Stars & Stripes 190, GT40, 1:1, OJ 3 & 4 Blade
There is an "exit" hole for the grease in the bottom of that housing; forget if it's in front of or behind the rudder shaft. However - it is VERY SMALL. I purchased a hydro locking grease gun end by Lincoln and use about half a tube of grease every time I went to lube it. Eventually it builds up enough pressure and will poop out a very small string of grease on the bottom of the boat via said hole. All of this aside it is an infuriating process to waste that much grease to get 1 oz in the freakin' rudder.

Also, my zirk did not have a bearing in it. When full it would puke a bit of grease back thru the zirk (also pretty maddening) when you rudder full in either direction. I assumed this is to keep the rudder shaft from hydro locking completely. The steering was remarkably improved each time I performed this operation though.
Old 07-15-2018, 04:24 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1993 Stars & Stripes 190, GT40, 1:1, OJ 3 & 4 Blade
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS LS1 View Post
I believe the zerk fitting on the cable its not supposed to have a check ball allowing excess grease to escape preventing hydro-lock of the steering cable.
This seems to be the case. Replacing that zerk could be dangerous...
Old 07-20-2018, 03:25 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1992 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIMC View Post
Hi everyone - it's been quite a while since I have been on here - but needing some help with my 2000 Prostar 195. Hard steering left and right. I greased the two zerks on the cable and linkage - no issues. I went to grease the last zerk on the rudder housing and could not get any grease pushed through. I thought it was a seized zerk so I replaced the zerk, however when I went to push grease through the new zerk same result - could not get any grease to go through. SO I removed the new zerk and installed in the grease gun only, no issues and grease came through the back side of the zerk. I assume I have some type of "hydro-lock" in the rudder housing preventing new grease from entering? I also assume this is caused by a clogged excess/breather port? I was holding the grease gun hose on the zerk and had a friend squeeze the hell out of the grease gun - nothing. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to clean out the rudder or port so I can get new grease in the housing, basically remove the vapor lock? Very much appreciated - you guys are the experts - thanks!
Did you get this resolved? Mine also didn't want to take grease and I pulled the zerk to confirm that it was not clogged. I think the grease in the rudder box was so old and gunked up that it had made a seal and wasn't letting the fresh stuff through. I had just bought the boat and have no idea when it was last serviced. I pumped it up until the grease gun popped off the zerk twice, and the third time it blew out whatever was clogging it and fresh grease came out the hole on the bottom. Steering improved a little right away and continued to improve as I used it the next couple times out on the boat.
Old 07-20-2018, 03:52 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterAK View Post
Did you get this resolved? Mine also didn't want to take grease and I pulled the zerk to confirm that it was not clogged. I think the grease in the rudder box was so old and gunked up that it had made a seal and wasn't letting the fresh stuff through. I had just bought the boat and have no idea when it was last serviced. I pumped it up until the grease gun popped off the zerk twice, and the third time it blew out whatever was clogging it and fresh grease came out the hole on the bottom. Steering improved a little right away and continued to improve as I used it the next couple times out on the boat.
Your 92 may be ready for a new cable. Been there several times and the new cable usually does the trick.

$0.02

Old 10-16-2018, 07:47 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1996 Prostar and an Allison xb2002
Has anybody ever tried a heat gun on the rudder box to soften up the old grease before trying to pump new into it? Mine won't take the grease and am trying to think of options.

Last edited by ssv1761982; 10-16-2018 at 10:36 PM.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:26 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1995 Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssv1761982 View Post
Has anybody ever tried a heat gun on the rudder box to soften up the old grease before trying to pump new into it? Mine won't take the grease and am trying to think of options.
Just keep trying, I made a mess before grease started pumping in. Having someone work the wheel back and forth helps a lot too. There’s also a small hole on the outside of the boat for the excess grease to come out of, if you’re careful you can use a small pick or something to clear it out so the grease can come out.
Old 10-17-2018, 01:01 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
I had the same problem of not being able to pump new grease into the rudder box. Turned out that old grease had hardened in the weep hole on the outside, plugging it. You can't pump in more grease if there's nowhere for it to go. Find the hole, stick a paperclip or something into it, then try pumping again. If that doesn't work, it's about an hours worth of work to drop the rudder, clean out all the old grease including making sure the weep hole is clear, maybe an extra hour if you have to drive to the parts store to replace the O-Rings, then putting everything back together.