Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 02-25-2016, 06:39 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX.X-30 fan View Post
Wrong, there is no level playing field either getting in or paying for college.
So it's not about grades? Are there students getting denied admission that have marks at, or above, the competitive average? I haven't heard of this...
Old 02-25-2016, 08:21 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1980 Glastron Carlson CVX-16 Deluxe w 1981 Evinrude 140
Really? Melodramatic? Too close to home for you was it?

Last edited by roadster02; 02-26-2016 at 10:17 AM.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:25 PM
MC Devotee

YES!!!!! YES!!!! YES!!!! Just like we could before 911. No searches, no seizures of nail clippers, no standing there in stocking feet, pants about to fall off because belt has been removed, a time when the family could see you off right up to the gate, you know, the free mans way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzimme View Post
So just so I'm clear on what your stance is on things like this, do you feel that you should just be able to go walk onto an airplane with whatever you want, and nobody saying anything about it?

Do you feel that a screening process is okay, just by different methodology?

Do you feel that we should be required to have a license/insurance/registration to drive a car?

I guess I'm a little confused on what you're arguing here? Just that you shouldn't be able to be searched to do any of this? Or is it you're afraid you're going to get cancer from walking through an x-ray, and you should have a way to opt out of that process?
Old 02-25-2016, 08:49 PM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadster02 View Post
Really? Melodramatic? Close to home was it?
Close? No the definition fits your postings and is spot on.

Quote:
adjective

of or relating to melodrama.

characteristic of melodrama, especially in being exaggerated, sensationalized, or overemotional.

"he flung the door open with a melodramatic flourish"

"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Old 02-25-2016, 09:11 PM
MC Devotee

Ok then.
Old 02-26-2016, 10:56 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: mastercraft, X-30, 2004, MCX.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott023 View Post
So it's not about grades? Are there students getting denied admission that have marks at, or above, the competitive average? I haven't heard of this...

To meet diversity quotas minority students are admitted above students with higher sat's and gpa's. The whole athletic program is another issue where functionally illiterate students are granted admission above far superior students just because they can catch a ball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
Myself I'll live on the edge and surf without a helmet.
Old 02-26-2016, 11:00 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: mastercraft, X-30, 2004, MCX.
Quote:
YES!!!!! YES!!!! YES!!!! Just like we could before 911. No searches, no seizures of nail clippers, no standing there in stocking feet, pants about to fall off because belt has been removed, a time when the family could see you off right up to the gate, you know, the free mans way.
The safety crowd never wants to talk about how ineffective the whole system is at safety. We are so PC we cannot dream of profiling, Israeli airport security just laughs at us for the idiots we are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
Myself I'll live on the edge and surf without a helmet.
Old 02-26-2016, 11:45 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
To meet diversity quotas minority students are admitted above students with higher sat's and gpa's. The whole athletic program is another issue where functionally illiterate students are granted admission above far superior students just because they can catch a ball.
And yet, some players are benched because they don't meet academic standards. Colleges that admit students who don't meet standards are wasting their own time, the students' money & time and any money coming from any other source because they're probably not going to survive the academic environment unless that was exactly what they needed, rather than being in a high school/prep school where the disruptive DBs (this doesn't mean 'Defensive Backs') were allowed to stay in class or the class sizes were too large for the lagging students can get the help they need.

I don't know the financial aid available to college students now, but in 1975, the programs that existed (BEOG and others) required that the income of the student or their parent(s)/guardian(s) didn't exceed a certain amount. For the rest, they worked while they were in school, received some kind of grant from another source or received money from scholarship funds, based on maintaining some GPA and the GPA varied with the school or curriculum. A full-time student in the "I'm taking these classes until I figure out what I want to be" phase would have different qualifications form someone who's in a full-blown STEM (NOBODY called it that, back then), Med-School, Law School or something that would fast-track them through a double major.

If they accept students based on socio-economic quotas rather than academic requirements, they're screwing the ones who actually work for it and that's part of the reason the whole "We need to allow more __________ students, so they'll have the same chances as the wealthy" agenda. They may get in, but they probably won't pass many classes and that will lead to their suspension or being dropped. Well, you know. The ones who can qualify even though they're in those groups will get into some schools, but they do need to look at less expensive alternatives to Ivy League, Big Ten, etc.

If a top-notch student is denied admission, they can always find another school- colleges still want the best and brightest and when their students go on to do something great, they don't usually stop crowing about it. If they're the reason the grad does those amazing things, they should do that but to lower academic standards for some just because the cost was too high is wrong. The real problem is in how fast tuition has become too expensive. Someone needs to look into that- the cost per credit hour has risen far faster than the inflation rate since the mid-'70s. Colleges and universities need to be able to support themselves without charging so much that only a select few can afford to go and that's a self-defeating model and it's basic math- spread the cost over more students and it's automatically more affordable but when the school administration becomes so top-heavy and they spend like drunken sailors WRT their facilities, they have no choice but to charge more.

Like Government, colleges need to stop spending more than their revenue.
Old 02-26-2016, 11:55 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
Quote:
The athletic programs are a whole separate issue, all agree with you there. But students not getting admitted based on their GPA is ridiculous. If you are at or above admission requirements, its absolute horse hockey if you're not getting in because of diversity numbers.
Old 02-26-2016, 11:57 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Yeah, let's stop all inspections. Then, we can be free AND dead.

I don't like the need for inspections, but I'd rather go through that than ride a fireball as it augers into the ground or a tall building. The World is changing and people are broken. In manufacturing, some percentage of items are inspected for defects, foreign objects , etc, based on the requirement that nothing bad gets through. Many times, every item in food or medicine are checked for metal, glass or something that shouldn't be there and if something triggers a response, it's removed from the line. Sometimes, one will get through, but it won't be a large number. We might look at terrorists as a chink of glass or metal in a jar of baby food- it needs to be removed, but all of the jars need to be inspected in order to have a remote chance of being sure. Then, when one (or more) is caught, they can parade the turd(s) past the rest of the people in line, whose time has been wasted. Then, they get to endure anything the rest of us say, yell or throw at them.

The options for the foreseeable future are limited- either profile and guess wrong in some cases, force everyone to endure the inspections or don't use mass-transportation.

Tags
constitution, freedom, frothy, lgbt rights, liberty, revolution, ron paul, santorum, treason