Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 04-19-2018, 10:20 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2003 Prostar 209
Surfing behind 2003 Prostar 209

Have a Prostar 209 with a tower but no build in ballast. Anyone tried or been able to use fat sacks or lead to get a big enough wake to surf behind a 209 or an X-9?
Old 04-19-2018, 11:47 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Maristar 1995 275 hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence1Hall View Post
Have a Prostar 209 with a tower but no build in ballast. Anyone tried or been able to use fat sacks or lead to get a big enough wake to surf behind a 209 or an X-9?

If theres a will theres a way but youre gonna end up spending hundreds of dollars on ballast and/or a wake shaper. Yes you’ll need a lot of ballast and my advice is to get a wake shaper like the mission delta one so that you can use all of the ballast to weight the boat evenly and then let the wake shaper create the wave. Then you dont have to move bags for regular and goofy riders too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-19-2018, 12:10 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: MasterCraft X-14, '09 Blue
Yes, with enough weight. I think the swim platform cuts into the wave, it's been a couple years. the kids were able to hang onto the line (with slack in it.) and follow along behind. we never had ballast...other than a couple heavy people.
Old 04-19-2018, 12:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Maristar 1995 275 hp
Helps to ride a bigger board too if youre still looking into buying one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-19-2018, 01:01 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2017 X10
Location: Center Hill Lake, Old Hickory, and Norris Lakes in TN
I used to surf the X9 a lot and you can make a very nice wave, but it takes substantial weight. I used a U-Shaped 1100lb fatsac, and folded in the starboard side leg so that it was also in the rear of the engine forming a larger L shape. I also put some weight under the observer seat with lead. There are several threads on this site with videos and how to tips with this boat that I have posted previously.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=46147

Good luck!
Old 04-19-2018, 09:27 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2014 SV244 w/ ZR409
I bought a Nauticurl suck gate last Feb and it works great, floats and is built out of aircraft aluminum, sticks great and has the "wing" in the back which I think helps with adjustments (lot of them are up front). Also one of the cheapest out there. Absolutely best customer service ever too, I heard a couple lost theirs and they even replaced it, but when they came out with some upgrades after sending mine out, they sent me the upgrades for free. Good group of people, worth checking them out if you buy a suck gate....Nauticurl.com
Old 04-26-2018, 11:00 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2001 prostar 209
We surf my 209 some. I have 2 suckgates, one on the rear and one a few feet ahead. Added a bag in the ski locker, under the rear seat and in the rear locker. Used tsunami 1200 pumps 1 per bag fill and drain.
Old 04-26-2018, 01:25 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '04 X9
I actually surfed behind our x9 last night... Not a huge wave but certainly doable.
Factory rear ballast mostly full, since the seat was still down, front ballast full, two people on the rear seat on my side. I'm not good enough to drop the rope anyway, but the other guy with us could just about do it. Probably need a suck gate to clean up the wave a bit but at around 10mph it definitely works.

edit - i should add i think ive seen some specs on here for a bag that fill most of the rear space behind the engine and under the rear seat (in sun deck mode) and connects to the factory ballast lines... would probably help to fill something like that back there

Last edited by ValveCoverGasket; 04-26-2018 at 01:39 PM.