Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Storage / Winterization

Old 04-09-2013, 07:01 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Med Blue 2012 X2, Illmor 5.7
Send a message via MSN to dpolen
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRENT View Post
@dpolen - As for the exact model I'd have to go look at the paperwork, of which I'm not exactly sure of it's location. I'll give them a call and ask. They keep all those records. It was around $4k.

As for ease of moving it... it's pretty heavy. It takes 2 people to drag it around on dry land. It slides pretty easy when it's inflated. All and all it's way easier then a hoist. Most of my neighbors have hoists and they struggle in the muck every year! Then there's me, floating my dock into place tying it off and opening a beer.

In the fall I pull it into my backyard, deflate it and fold it onto itself. Pull the compressor box off and store that in the garage.
CBRENT...Wow, that sounds like it might be a solution I need to consider...my slip is about 1000 feet from a public boatramp here in Minnesota where I could drag it out with a buddy's help, put it on a small trailer and bring it home to store for the winter. I'll give them a call once I finalized the deal on the new boat...btw...great looking X2!

He who dies with the most toys wins...I'm losing right now!!!
Old 04-09-2013, 09:53 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2006 MasterCraft X2
What a concept, CBRENT, thanks for sharing!

Was liking the idea of a canopy for the protection from the sun, but will have to check this option out for sure! I take it water doesn't get trapped between it to cause any maintenance issues? And it looks like the prop/rudder sits in the water a bit, but guessing that is easy to clean up if needed?

Curious how long does it roughly takes to inflate/deflate?

I also couldn't spot on the their site if the pump requires power or can a battery be stored in the box?

Thanks again!
Old 04-09-2013, 10:44 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
DoubleE - one thing I've always been tempted by are the "drive on" floating type lifts.

http://www.jetdock.com/products/univ...-boat-dock.asp

The idea being the lift floats always, you then drive on.

Big disadvantage is that to get off the lift you have to use a crank style system to "push" the boat off.
I like that the boat is out of the water, and you could probably put a cover onto this style.

I also like that they are much less likely to sink if one is holed than a bladder.

A risk of any floating type would be if you forget to pull the plug and your tarp collapses full of rain.

No floating lift is sufficient for the big waves we get.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:36 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2015 X2
@dpolen - So I contacted the Air Dock folks and the model I have is the C/B Model $2,620. That price is def lower then what I told you I originally paid. Amazing how time robs you of your memory, but back when I bought it I think 2K felt like 4K!

@DoubleE - It's takes a couple minutes to inflate. I'm pretty anal about getting it perfectly balanced and lined up correctly on the lift. You can control each "bladder" by turning 1 of 3 valves in the control box. While it's inflating I start to clean out the boat and clean so never really timed it. When I'm going to take the boat out... I just open the valves and then proceed to take the cover off and or any other prep that needs done before we shove off... so again it takes a couple minutes for it to fully deflate so the boat is floating.

Prop and rudder - I generally pull the boat high enough so the surf tabs and the attitude plate are out of the water. Yes this means that the rudder and prop sit a bit in the water. We are on the main body of the lake and there is no issues with standing water, weeds or any other debris that might gather on the prop or rudder.

As for power: I have electricity at the water so I just wind an extension cord from the outlet through the dock and plug it in. Not sure on using a battery. Def need to ask them. Inside the box is a little compressor motor... sure you could hard wire something together.

Boat goes in on the 27th, I'll take some pics so everyone can get a good idea of how it all comes together. Maybe a video of me putting it in the water, cold cold water!
Old 04-14-2013, 05:02 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2006 MasterCraft X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYshooter View Post
Instead of a canopy I had a cover made that covers the whole boat including the tower and swim platform. Works awesome because I have plenty of space to hang stuff to dry under the cover and gives some air space to help with condensation.
KYshooter, do you have a picture? Love to see it!
Old 04-19-2013, 01:58 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 Mastercraft X2
Great thread!

I am considering buying a 2006 X2 up to 2008.

I have an existing lift that has a 4500 lb capacity, and is 108" wide. Weight wise it will be fine, a bit tight on the width with a 96" beam, but it should work.

I also have a canopy. Trying to figure out if I will need to raise it.

Does anyone know, or have a rough idea how high the top of the tower is from the water line?