Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 03-23-2018, 03:25 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2017 X23 6000GDI (previous boat was 2014 X25) (4 other boats prior, but none MC)
Send a message via Skype™ to Loewen
I'd let my kids take out any boat I own/owned that cost me less than $10k. If they want to take one like this out, they can buy it themselves. VERY responsible kids and good boaters. That being said, my NO answer on our current MC is an economic lesson more than anything else.
Old 03-23-2018, 03:31 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2008 197
At age 16-18 we had earned the trust of our parents and 4-6 of us would go out Saturday afternoon , ski then camp on the beach. The folks would all join us on Sunday. We never had a problem other than minor breakdowns. I ran into our local game warden 25 years latter. After introducing my self he said”oh yeah, I remember you kids. I left you alone because you never drank beer until the boat was put away and you always picked up your trash. “.
Old 03-23-2018, 03:53 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 98/99 MariStar 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by eecyclone View Post
My sister was probably 21 when she took the boat out with friends for the first time. I didn't think it was a good idea but my parents trusted her. She got along fine and probably used the boat more than the rest of us that summer.
I was always the same way with my brother about things...ohhhh siblings
2017 B1G Champions
Old 03-23-2018, 03:55 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2008 Prostar 214, MCX, Mini-Tower
I agree with a lot of the great advice that has been posted on this thread. I would add to spend sometime understanding how to handle emergencies including a possible injury of a skier or rider.

I think it is also important to understand the "friends" for the first few times and make sure that as group they have some sense about them.

To me (even though I love my boat) it is more about the safe return of everyone involved ... after all we can fix fiberglass.

Boating is for life .... so earlier is ok with me.

"Left Foot Forward and preferring girls."
"Do you have Flake on that boat?"
Old 03-23-2018, 04:06 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: X-45
I grew up on Lake Washington and my parents let me take the family boat out when I was 16 and moored on Mercer Island. The huge benefit being moored and not having to trailer and launch the boat. As mentioned by others it really depends on the kid and if they are ready for the responsibility. I have the same tough decision approaching fast as my daughter will be 16 soon but my decision will be easier since I don't moor our boat unless we are on family vacations in Eastern WA. Then the circumstances will change if the boat is in the water.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:48 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2017 NXT 22
Tom, Give him several bags of Cheetos, Red Wine coolers and a few packs of cigarettes on the new interior and he should be good to go!
Old 03-23-2018, 07:25 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2017 X10
Location: Center Hill Lake, Old Hickory, and Norris Lakes in TN
True story: The very first time I ever drove a vehicle on the road, my dad hooked a 16 foot Thundercraft up to a three-tone, green, column-shift Ford van, and told my brother and I to get out of the house for a while because we were driving him crazy. I was 15 and my brother was 14. Of course, I had spent a lot of time driving go-karts, boats and various pieces of farm equipment, so apparently Dad didn't think much of it. The fact that neither my brother nor I had a driver's license didn't really seem to play into the picture either. Long story short, we drove 35 miles to the lake and then took another 30 minutes figuring out how to back the stupid thing down a 20-yard ramp. It was one heck of a learning experience, but these days I can guarantee you that I'm one of the fastest guys at the boat ramp.

My daughter has been taking the boat out by herself since she was 16, and she's a far better driver than most of the adults I know. While I certainly do not recommend the approach that my father took with me, I do think that your question is far better answered by considering the responsibility level of your kids instead of their age. Unfortunately maturity has very little to do with how long a person has been alive.

My $0.02.

Last edited by FoggyNogginz; 03-23-2018 at 07:39 PM.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:29 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2016 X30, 85 S&S
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoggyNogginz View Post
True story: The very first time I ever drove a vehicle on the road, my dad hooked a 16 foot Thundercraft up to a three-tone, green column shift Ford van, and told my brother and I to get out of the house for a while because we were driving him crazy. I was 15 and my brother was 14. Now, I had spent a lot of time driving go-karts, boats, and farm equipment, so apparently dad didn't think much of it. The fact that neither one of us had a driver's license didn't really seem to play into the picture either. Long story short, we drove 35 miles to the lake and then took another 30 minutes figuring out how to back the stupid thing down a 20-yard ramp. It was one heck of a learning experience, but these days I can guarantee you that I'm one of the fastest guys at the boat ramp.

My daughter has been taking the boat out by herself since she was 16, and she's a far better driver than most of the adults I know. While I certainly do not recommend the approach that my father took with me, I do think that your question is far better answered by considering the responsibility level of your kids instead of their age. Unfortunately maturity has very little to do with how long people are on this planet.

My $0.02.

Man I grew up in the wrong time lol

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2018!!!!!!

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...30#post1417530

2016 X30-Wetsounds galore
2017 Misty Harbor Tri-Toon
1985 S&S- Gone but never forgotten
Old 03-23-2018, 07:33 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2017 X10
Location: Center Hill Lake, Old Hickory, and Norris Lakes in TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC25 View Post
Man I grew up in the wrong time lol
Yeah, and I can't even tell the good stories.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:27 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2018 XT22
NEVER! well maybe at 35....... definitely never under 25.