Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 06-06-2013, 12:39 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2000 Mastercraft X-Star
Transmission Plug

I've have a 2000 X-Star with the Hurth transmission. When i bought the boat last year they had just replaced the oil cooler because they said it was leaking. I have changed the fluid a few times and it still gets milky like there is water in the transmission. I am pretty confident there is no leak as the fluid level doesn't change over time. I just don't think i am sucking all the fluid out from the top. Has anyone put a hose where the plug is on the transmition to make it easier to drain the fluid and have the ability to get more fluid out?

I did recently change from tranmission flud to 15W-40 motor oil. The MC dealer said to put half a can of sea foam with the oil to help get the water out also. Thanks!
Old 06-06-2013, 01:29 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190

Last edited by waterlogged882; 09-13-2015 at 08:32 PM.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:59 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2000 Mastercraft X-Star
Thanks for the recomendation on the pump! I currently use a hand pump that works ok, i just want to be able to ensure i get as much fluid out as possable. I currently just keep moving the hose around when i stick it in the top untill i can't get anymore.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:49 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
The solution is dilution.

I usually will figure that a quart or two is pretty inexpensive, so I'll suck the fluid out as much as possible, then I will put in a full load of fluid, and even over load. Then I start boat with a bit of tension on the lift and engage the trans in idle (so long as safe on your lift/trailer). I let that go for awhile, then I suck out as much as I can and refill to the full mark.

While flushing is not necessary, if you are chasing an issue with milky fluid I would start there till you got it diluted very thoroughly, if you want to spend very little money buy cheap oil or cheap ATF for your flushing.