Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 07-04-2018, 10:58 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197
PP wakeboard pro v6.3 speed calibration

How do you calibrate the speed? I've tried to go by the manuals on PPs website but it's not I'm not having any luck.

I'm hitting menu, and then the first screen that comes up is "CALIBRATE SPEEDO." then I hit up arrow for faster because im going 25mph and it's reading like 7mph on the PP, but the PP is not making any adjustments. Doesn't matter if the PP is engaged or not.
Old 07-05-2018, 02:52 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Malibu Sunsetter LS1
almost sounds like your paddlewheel is stuck or not working.

Do you plan to run it in Slalom mode "R" or Wakeboard Mode ? The way to do it is different.

i used to have 6.3 so I've attached that manual.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf DigitalProManual_6-3.pdf (180.1 KB, 31 views)
Old 07-05-2018, 06:02 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiDad View Post
almost sounds like your paddlewheel is stuck or not working.

Do you plan to run it in Slalom mode "R" or Wakeboard Mode ? The way to do it is different.

i used to have 6.3 so I've attached that manual.
thanks. Mine is the wakeboard pro vesion, I think it's different even though its v6.3?
Old 07-05-2018, 10:15 PM
TT Regular

the older PP units had both Digital Pro and Wakeboard Pro software on the same module - you can reset them to go either way. You might want to reset it anyway to as the settings could be all over the place.

Are you wake boarding, free skiing or running the course ?

Running in wakeboard mode is easier to set the speed but Slalom mode provides a smoother pull (but you have to do a lot more work to get the speed accurate)
Old 07-06-2018, 03:50 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
the older PP units had both Digital Pro and Wakeboard Pro software on the same module - you can reset them to go either way. You might want to reset it anyway to as the settings could be all over the place.

Are you wake boarding, free skiing or running the course ?

Running in wakeboard mode is easier to set the speed but Slalom mode provides a smoother pull (but you have to do a lot more work to get the speed accurate)
yup, needed to be reset.

I mostly slalom in the course.

It seems like Slalom/RPM mode is a ton of work and you can't really switch speeds on the fly? The digital pro manual says that you can calibrate and store each rpm/speed value I think, so when you switch skiers you just have to adjust the speed and add in the weight of the crew and skier. But the Wakeboard Pro manual has no mention of this, it just says to set the RPM with the speed. And if that's the case then wouldn't you need to calibrate it every time you switched speeds?

I know this isn't the optimal perfect pass system for slalom but this boat will probably never need a tournament level speed control and I would like to see if I can get by in the course with it at least while I'm at the beginner level (maybe upgrade in a few years). I have noticed some surging when pulling skiers in speed mode but I wonder if I can dial in the KDW and NN settings well enough to help with this. Or find a way to use RPM mode in a way that's not so labor intensive.

Thanks!
Old 07-06-2018, 04:41 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintpollz View Post
How do you calibrate the speed? I've tried to go by the manuals on PPs website but it's not I'm not having any luck.

I'm hitting menu, and then the first screen that comes up is "CALIBRATE SPEEDO." then I hit up arrow for faster because im going 25mph and it's reading like 7mph on the PP, but the PP is not making any adjustments. Doesn't matter if the PP is engaged or not.
I think you're just going the wrong direction.

Boat is going 25 but the reading is 7mph means that you have to press down until the boat is going 7 while reading 7. Atleast try it.

IE. in that mode it will decrease the speed of the boat to the speed of the gauge. You may just be so far off to the opposite direction that it is out of the ability to add any extra throttle (servo wound all the way).
Try that first.
Old 07-06-2018, 05:13 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88 PS190 View Post
I think you're just going the wrong direction.

Boat is going 25 but the reading is 7mph means that you have to press down until the boat is going 7 while reading 7. Atleast try it.

IE. in that mode it will decrease the speed of the boat to the speed of the gauge. You may just be so far off to the opposite direction that it is out of the ability to add any extra throttle (servo wound all the way).
Try that first.
I called PP and the guy said that once your too far off in one direction it won't adjust anymore and you need to reset.
Old 07-06-2018, 07:44 PM
TT Regular

regular RPM mode is not hard - you would just need to take your phone and figure out the speeds you ski with just you in the boat.

examples of results

30 MPH - 3000 rpm
32 MPH - 3200 rpm

add 200 rpm for the skier pull and crew and you will be close.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:30 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
regular RPM mode is not hard - you would just need to take your phone and figure out the speeds you ski with just you in the boat.

examples of results

30 MPH - 3000 rpm
32 MPH - 3200 rpm

add 200 rpm for the skier pull and crew and you will be close.
does it store the settings or do you have to do you need to calibrate it every time you go out?
Old 07-09-2018, 09:27 AM
TT Regular

it will stay on what you had it last set on.