Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 06-30-2018, 08:23 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1997 Prostar 190 LT1 with PS
Question, in my case... if I programmed the time to 10 minutes, would I have any issues with function. Sometimes the boat requires a few tries to start, maybe a fuel pressure issue... If I do ten minutes, worst case is just like in the car, take the keys out and radio can play for up to 10 minutes before it shuts off, correct? Or will that length of delay cause a problem. Excited should be delivered tomorrow!

Grip
Old 06-30-2018, 08:46 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookin4grip View Post
Question, in my case... if I programmed the time to 10 minutes, would I have any issues with function. Sometimes the boat requires a few tries to start, maybe a fuel pressure issue... If I do ten minutes, worst case is just like in the car, take the keys out and radio can play for up to 10 minutes before it shuts off, correct? Or will that length of delay cause a problem. Excited should be delivered tomorrow!

Grip
I see no problems with that. Theory and application is the same as would be for three seconds. Just make sure the relay has that capability in the functionality when programming. I am not certain it will go for 10 minutes.
Old 07-01-2018, 09:33 PM
TT Regular

Talking

Successful with the relay! It looks like setting the timing has changed a little bit for the better with the TR-7 relay. Max time delay is 4 minutes 15 seconds, I set for 4 minutes because of my hard starting at times. I will probably have to address that eventually. Anyways, got it wired in and seems to work as expected.

Thanks to all who have helped me with these two mods, much appreciated to say the least, could not have the confidence without this forum!

Thanks,
Grip
Old 07-01-2018, 09:49 PM
MC Master Poster

Thanks for the update. Glad you had success.

Old 07-04-2018, 02:46 PM
TT Regular

Well had a chance to start the boat now that it is back in the lake. I believe I still have power interup upon engine crank/start. So this mod will not work for me... You guys believe wiring direct to battery will act same way, so it looks like I will have to live with it. Any other suggestions?
Old 07-09-2018, 12:11 PM
TT Regular

One cool thing with the readout on the usb power port is I can see that battery voltage drops to 9.5 volts in the cranking phase... for what its worth.
Old 07-11-2018, 05:36 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Well had a chance to start the boat now that it is back in the lake. I believe I still have power interup upon engine crank/start. So this mod will not work for me... You guys believe wiring direct to battery will act same way, so it looks like I will have to live with it. Any other suggestions?
I paid particular attention to my boat yesterday. The head unit stays on in all directions of key switch positions with the relay installed.

Just an FYI.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:10 AM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterlogged882 View Post
I paid particular attention to my boat yesterday. The head unit stays on in all directions of key switch positions with the relay installed.

Just an FYI.
And during cranking of engine I assume... Dang, not here for some reason. Must be the 9.5V upon cranking, you would not happen to know what your voltage is during cranking of engine would you? Does my 9.5V sound like a weak starter or something, it is original with a ton of starts, I am sure it is tired, does crank slower than I would expect, but usually gets the job done.

Thanks,
Grip
Old 07-12-2018, 10:52 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 X-star 5.7L LTR, 2000 Prostar 190 5.7L LTR, both dark green
Low voltage while starting is usually an indicator of a weak battery rather than weak starter.
Old 07-13-2018, 07:53 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
And during cranking of engine I assume... Dang, not here for some reason. Must be the 9.5V upon cranking, you would not happen to know what your voltage is during cranking of engine would you? Does my 9.5V sound like a weak starter or something, it is original with a ton of starts, I am sure it is tired, does crank slower than I would expect, but usually gets the job done.

Thanks,
Grip
Correct...that is in the starting position as well. I do not know the voltage reading during start. I have a volt readout but never pay attention to it when I turn the key.

I say a new battery is in order. Better now than on the water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsumi View Post
Low voltage while starting is usually an indicator of a weak battery rather than weak starter.
Agree.