Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 06-26-2018, 09:01 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1997 Prostar 190 LT1 with PS
change acc outlet to usb

I am wanting to change my stock accessory outlet to dual usb with voltage readout, linked here.

https://www.amazon.com/LiDiVi-Waterp...12v+usb+outlet

I am not real sure with everything going on behind the switch panel... Being the swithes are always hot on this 97 prostar 190, do you recommend any of these options?

1. placing a switch somewhere on the positive lead to usb outlet to be able to shutoff the power to the voltage readout on new outlet?
2. or trying to use the acc-2 switch on right side of panel as a power source to new outlet to control the power to voltage readout on new outlet?
3. or maybe there is a better way to kill all swithes and posible draws by maybe putting in a battery cutoff switch of some sort. Not sure of best, simplest one to use in this case.

currently I have something called a timer on acc-2 not sure what it is and if it is still on the boat somehow, was told it was not there anymore. There seems to be alot of wiring going on with the current switches, dont want to mess anything up! What are the white blocks below the switches, fuses of some sort?

My goal is to change to usb accessory and not have a trickle power loss due to voltage readout when boat is on trailer or dock.

Maybe the draw is not significant enough to be a problem??? Looking to the pros for some guidance.

Also a side note... Is it possible to power the radio by Acc-2 switch so the radio does not shut off every time I turn the key? That is getting to be a problem.

Thanks for any help or suggestions you guys can offer!

Grip
Attached Images

Old 06-27-2018, 12:15 PM
TT Regular

Has anyone used this usb outlet?
Old 06-27-2018, 12:42 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Haven't used it but I'd just wire it to acc2 like you thought. Timer removed or?
Old 06-27-2018, 12:51 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 X45 L18
I did something similar. I swapped mine for a USB port, but mine is just an extension of the USB from the stereo, so it's not powered unless the radio is on. Either way, I have a battery switch that I turn off whenever the boat is not in the water anyway.

As for using acc-2 for the radio, I tried that, but the radio still shuts off when starting. Very annoying and its on my list to figure out.
Old 06-27-2018, 01:24 PM
MC Maniac

kman not sure on that one - but a common way to do that is to power it by a relay that is energized through the key in the run or aux position, but to interrupt it when the key is in the crank position.
Old 06-27-2018, 02:00 PM
TT Regular

OK leaving radio alone for now.
So if I power usb outlet with acc-2 switch, would you know which connectors to use on that switch? As far as the timer goes... i was told it was not on the boat anymore, I don't even know what it was? or where it was located. The switch appears to still be wired to something, maybe to a terminated end somewhere? I have not tried to follow the wires yet (boat is at the lake). So the white box below switch is a circuit breaker I assume... Do you have to remove the rubber caps to reset these breakers? cause mine feel empty.

If you know how the acc-2 switch is and should be wired for the usb outlet, please fill me in as this is guessing for me at this point.

which way does power flow through the breaker and switch? to help me figure it out. Would I only need to run a wire from the power out of acc-2 switch to the power in on usb outlet and just leave the negative connection as is at the usb outlet.

Do you believe that would work? if so I only need to determine the power out lead on switch...
Old 06-27-2018, 03:22 PM
MC Maniac

If they feel full its tripped and you push in on the boot to reset. So that should be fine. I believe from the factory both accessory wires were run under the dashboard, the end shrink wrapped and they were sort of tied up there to make wiring an accessory easy to do. I would go underneath and look for a coiled up wire capped off and test it with the switch.

The trick for it would be to use a voltmeter to find the switched side of the switch and run that to the positive side of the usb dongle, and then you'd run the negative side to any of the ground points.
Old 06-27-2018, 03:53 PM
TT Regular

Thanks for explaining for me, much appreciated 88! Hopefully under the dash. Where would the timer have been mounted if indeed there was one ever installed?
Old 06-27-2018, 04:12 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
I added one without a readout put it in where the radio should go for now.
Old 06-27-2018, 04:33 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman View Post
I did something similar. I swapped mine for a USB port, but mine is just an extension of the USB from the stereo, so it's not powered unless the radio is on. Either way, I have a battery switch that I turn off whenever the boat is not in the water anyway.

As for using acc-2 for the radio, I tried that, but the radio still shuts off when starting. Very annoying and its on my list to figure out.
Thread here about an in-line gadget to bank power for up to 10 seconds while swapping switch positions. I added one to my boat a while back. Works like a lucky charm...head unit never shuts down within the set time. I use a three second delay. Plenty enough.

The thread was from May or June of 2016. Good write up and instructions.

Last edited by waterlogged882; 06-27-2018 at 07:19 PM.