Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 07-16-2018, 10:29 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintpollz View Post
got it. And I think that's why when I hit the ^ arrow for recalibrate, it says there is a timer error, because it knows there is no magnet.
So you need to give it times, I wouldn't dork with adding magnets to your course, lots of expense if you're the only one using it and that just triggers the smart timer if you install one on your system. For that kind of money I'd go stargazer upgrade.

What you can try is calling up PP to see if you can get a hand timer - or try places that resell PP - great lakes skipper, skier to skier etc

Functionally then you drive the course triggering the timer as the entry and exit gates pass your throttle hand. On each pass you then hit calibrate, once you have those then you adjust the speedometer speed reading from the paddlewheel to "match" the set speed timing.

Its a manual process from back before GPS when drivers were used to hand timing with split stop watches.

NEVER MIND - one on Ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PERFECTPASS...itleDesc=0%7C0
Old 07-16-2018, 10:57 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Malibu Sunsetter LS1
@paintpollz - don't buy a hand timer - i have one if you want it - it's brand new - came with my boat but was never used. If you are not going to mess with magnets that is easier way to calibrate.

PM me if you want it free of charge.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:26 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiDad View Post
@paintpollz - don't buy a hand timer - i have one if you want it - it's brand new - came with my boat but was never used. If you are not going to mess with magnets that is easier way to calibrate.

PM me if you want it free of charge.
that's great and very generous of you. I'll PM you! Thanks!
Old 07-16-2018, 02:35 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: NA
Quote:
got it. And I think that's why when I hit the ^ arrow for recalibrate, it says there is a timer error, because it knows there is no magnet.
Your course has magnets.

I'll try to get my hands on that magnet pickup for you this week

calibration is easy easy after that
Old 07-18-2018, 09:07 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by slalomjunkie View Post
Your course has magnets.

I'll try to get my hands on that magnet pickup for you this week

calibration is easy easy after that
Thanks SJ!
Old 07-26-2018, 10:21 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Malibu Sunsetter LS1
Quote:
Skidad is right. I was able to switch it to digital pro software during the reset.

Two problems in having.

1 - for ex. if i set the boat at the rpm for 30mph and go heavy throttle out of the hole shot, the boat beeps once it meets my calibrated rpm but it will continue to climb in engine speed for maybe 5-7 more seconds before settling back down to the Rpm/speed setting. So the boat could get up to like 36-38mph before it settles back down to the right rpm/ speed setting. Iím hoping there is an adjustment for this because it pretty much renders the system useless.

Hi Again, i ran into an issue the last few outings where it was over shooting me big time. I found out my battery was not charging due to a broken wire to my alternator - anyhow I gave my battery a real good charge (it was down to about 12v) and tested it today and it locked perfectly no matter how much throttle i gave it. might be worth checking.