Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 06-15-2018, 03:01 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
94 prostar 190 battery cables

Would like to refresh my battery cables, anyone do this recently enough to have the measurements/cable end types and gauge?
Old 06-15-2018, 05:19 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
I have 205 but got 3/8 ends..

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 06-19-2018, 05:08 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '04 X9
nothing to add on the ends, other than my old PS had been converted to dual battery by the previous owner and was using the standard automotive ends.
but if youre looking for decent pricing on good wire - check out some of large gauge welding cable on amazon.
i recently redid a car i was rebuilding with a couple sets of pos/neg welding cable. really flexible, quality outer coating.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:45 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88 PS190 View Post
Would like to refresh my battery cables, anyone do this recently enough to have the measurements/cable end types and gauge?
Length depends on where your battery is located. Maybe still in the rear of the enclosure with the fuel cell (OEM)? I moved mine up front and added a battery so my cable lengths are different than OEM (sorry no help).

I used 2AWG tinned wire for each run... best I recall about 10 feet on the black and 11 feet on the red. When you measure, don't forget to measure length up the side of the battery box, under the lid, and across the battery top to each post.

Each connection point will have a different size hole on the ring connector(s).

Hot + battery end
Hot starter solenoid
Ground - battery end (different than the hot + post)
Ground - on a particular bolt size on the engine block (whatever that may be)

Order your cables from Genuine Dealz dot com. Get standard lugs with shrink. Get them to build your cables ($1.00 per crimp). Shipping is USPS if it fits, it ships medium box.

All plug and play when it gets to your door. Can't beat it with a stick.

$0.02

Attached Images

Old 06-20-2018, 08:03 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
If you want to do it right avoid automotive cable and get tinned cable from somewhere like Genuine Dealz.

http://www.genuinedealz.com/

You can use a dock line to trace the route of the existing cable then measure the length of the dock line. Take that measurement to Genuine Dealz and they'll make the cables for you. I'd dump the automotive lead end for terminal ends if you currently have the automotive type ends. The terminal ends are easier to work with, will last longer and provide a more positive connection. As long as you're upgrading, get the cable size off the existing cables and jump up one or two sizes from stock.

You can also make your own cables fairly easy using some bolt cutters (to cut the cable), some solider, a torch, a vise (to hold the terminals while soldiering them) and some red/black shrink wrap (to dress the cable ends). This is the method I've used on several of these projects and haven't had a failure or need to replace any of the cables I've made over the past 15 years.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:34 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
It is in the factory hole - I don't necessarily like it there and would probably move it forwards if I was doing dual batteries, ironically though I think if you remove it the boat lists a bit to the right. Kind of like early 911's and their dual 6V batteries in the front to balance em out