Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 06-16-2009, 10:25 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1988 Mastercraft ProStar 190, 351 Ford
Fuel Sender

Can the fuel sender be removed without removing the gas tank in a 1988 ProStar 190?
I removed the rear seat to look at the top of the sender but looks a little tight for removal. My gauge is fluctuating when the boat is moving, when I'm stationary everything is fine.

Thanks
Old 06-16-2009, 10:35 PM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasteddie View Post
Can the fuel sender be removed without removing the gas tank in a 1988 ProStar 190?
I removed the rear seat to look at the top of the sender but looks a little tight for removal. My gauge is fluctuating when the boat is moving, when I'm stationary everything is fine.

Thanks
Fluctuating is normal, but suddenly dropping to empty or to full, the gauge clicking as it stops and staying there for a time is not normal. Yes, you can replace the sending unit w/o removing the tank, I've done it, with plenty room to spare.

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:40 PM
TT Newbie

It drops suddenly from empty to full constantly when the boat is under way.
I ordered the Teleflex swing arm unit from Skidim, will this work?

Thanks again
Old 06-17-2009, 10:59 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 91 prostar 190
Fasteddie,
I bought a fuel sender from skidim last fall. (only 6 months old). I never installed it. I had a 91, 190. I sold the boat and bought another boat. I still have the fuel send that would work in your boat.
If you want it, I would sell it for 1/2 of what skidim wants for them. I think I paid around $70, but I"d have to check. Let me know if you want it. Again, it's brand new, with the box and instructions.

Shoot me a PM if you are interested.

BOYD
Old 06-18-2009, 08:48 PM
TT Newbie

Boyd, thanks for the offer I may take you up on it. I need to remove the sender and see if it is a float or tube type. I think they made a change to the sender in 91 or 92.

Thanks