Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 12-19-2017, 06:34 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle80mc View Post
Hey all,

Sorry for no activity for the past few months. I have been extremely busy at school and am now on winter break. That being said I will be updating my progress later this week.

I also wanted to take the time to reply to the comments about the way we redid the stringer. In hindsight, yes, I should have listened to everyone's advice and done it the way that is guaranteed to work. So, down the road if the replaced stringer goes bad so be it and I will pay for the repercussions. I know you guys are just trying to look out for my best interests with the boat. Moving forward, we have gotten the engine all assembled and will be posting pictures when I update my progress so stay tuned.

Thanks everyone,

Kyle
If it works for you that is all that matters.

Last edited by waterlogged882; 12-20-2017 at 12:57 PM.
Old 12-25-2017, 07:47 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1980 Stars and Stripes, 351w
Hey everyone,

Since I last posted, we had not made really any engine progress since we were more focused on replacing the rotten stringer. Originally, we had two engines come with the boat. One in the boat that the previous owner hadn't winterized and was cracked, and a crate engine that he told us was in good condition. Upon getting the crate engine home, we tried to turn the engine manually but no luck. We even tried hooking the transmission up with the starter to see if the engine would turn with the help of it but it was frozen up. Before beginning to take the engine apart we stuck a borescope through the spark plug holes to inspect the cylinders. 6 out of the 8 cylinders were in ok condition but two were extremely corroded and were most likely the culprit of it being seized up. We took off the valve covers, intake manifold, heads, oil pan, and started to take the pistons and rods out. I took the drill with a wire brush attachment to where the heads connected to the block to remove the rust and look for cracks. Since we have continued to find more and more surprises with the boat I should've expected that the engine wouldn't have been different. There was a crack in between the cylinders rendering the crate engine useless. I was now considering looking into other engines, which would have really broken the budget I had originally anticipated. To try and save money, we inspected the original engine to see if the cracks in the block were repairable. Unfortunately the cracks in the block were not in a location where it could have been repaired.

Lucky for us, however, over the summer our neighbor had a wedding at his house. One of the guests who we know was staying at a friends house across the lake and planned to take a little row boat back. After heavily drinking at the wedding he fell into the lake and was too drunk to swim with all his clothes on so he took off his pants with his phone and $1200 cash he had in it. A few days later my dad heard about it and since he is a certified scuba diver he went looking for his pants in the bottom of the lake. He surprisingly found the pants and returned them. He got talking to the guy and he had heard we were restoring an old boat and was in need of an engine. As a thank you for finding his wallet and phone, he gave us an engine he had laying around in his garage. It was off of his old Nautique that had actually sank in Lake Michigan. He had had it running after it sank but he said it never ran the same. This engine turned but had some heavy corrosion in a few of the cylinders. Just to be safe that it wasn't cracked we took it into the local machine shop to be inspected. We dropped all six of the heads off to be inspected along with the new block. $1400 later, they had bored out the cylinders 40-thousandths of an inch along with new rods and pistons, luckily no sleeves were needed, and had only found two heads that weren't cracked out of the six total. I had also sent the carburetor that came with the new engine to Peter Biever, who is in the Mastercraft Project on Facebook. He did an excellent job and can't wait to see how it performs. The shop assembled all the internal components of the block such as the drive shaft, cam shaft, rods, and pistons. The shop did an excellent job.

The new engine is an engine with parts coming from 3 total engines. We picked each part from the inventory we had and I was left to do the grunt work and remove as much rust as possible then spray paint. Long story short, it was a long and tedious process to do that for nearly all of the engine parts. The order of things I'm describing might be a little out of order, it's kind of hard remembering what you did in what order after 3 engines haha. I believe first we installed the oil pump, then put the water pump separator on, and then the oil pan. After that I sprayed the engine black with engine paint. We then put on the harmonic balancer and then the heads, torquing the bolts according to the specifications in a 351W rebuild manual. We then primed the oil pump until some oil came up into the heads. Next, the painted intake manifold was put on. I put the old valve covers on the spray painted the heads black as well. From the crate engine, I took the valve covers with the Mastercraft Power sticker and removed the rust then polished it with a polisher. I wasn't able to remove all the rust but was able to get the majority to where it looks pretty good. The alternator, belts, water pump, fuel pump, and fuel filter. We finally put the rebuilt carburetor and then the red plug wire organizers coming the distributor.

Kyle
Old 12-25-2017, 07:50 PM
TT Newbie

Engine pictures:
Attached Images

Old 12-25-2017, 08:29 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2008 X2, MCX
Cool story. I love the scuba bit

does anyone know know at what year nautique started with the RH rotation engines and what components are actually different?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-04-2018, 01:20 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1983 Starts & Stripes Powerslot, 92 Hydrodyne Comp
Great story. Glad to see the engine is together! Keep the forum folks updated. We love to see these old boats come back to life
Old 01-04-2018, 10:09 PM
TT Newbie

Hey all,

Another quick update. I'm getting ready to wet-sand and remove the metal flake to be resprayed on. Unfortunately, the DA owner before me must've run the boat up on a lot of beaches because as you can see in the first photo, there are some deep cuts out in the hull under the bow. I asked what was the best way to fix this in the Mastercraft project and got some good info. The people in that group are extremely knowledgeable and helpful. I learned a way to check to see if it's surface level or structural damage is to shine a light through the bottom of the hull and see if the light coming through is uniform moving across the damage. I saw some threads where people removed the foam up in the bow for more storage so I wanted to do this and also remove the foam because there was a smell coming from the bow whenever it got wet.

If you saw my original post, you would've seen that the entire boat was covered in raccoon poop and they had chewed most everything in the boat. I thought I was done with the raccoon poop but I obviously thought wrong haha. Upon cutting the fiberglass on the left side using a vibrating saw, I saw that the bow was filled with raccoon poop. They had also removed most of the foam there as well. I was surprised to see bugs still living in the mess, since it's been very cold in Michigan. Using a chisel I broke the mess up pulling out chunks of saturated foam and poop. I also found an animal skull in it too; you could say it got what it deserved messing up the boat haha. It took me about 3 hours to cut and remove the mess. I'm going to also clean it then epoxy over it to make sure the smell doesn't come back. Just to be safe I'm also going to put some fiberglass in the bow.

Kyle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-17-2018, 01:47 AM
TT Regular

Yikes! What a mess. It's amazing what some of these projects can turn into. You're doing an a fabulous job on this . The good news is that as bad as it is- you know EVERYTHING will be right when it's done- and you'll have a WAY cool boat. Keep up the good work
Old 01-17-2018, 01:48 AM
TT Regular

And keep the pictures coming!
Old 04-20-2018, 04:01 PM
TT Newbie

Got all the upholstery back today!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 04-21-2018, 12:48 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft 205
Can't wait to see it done, that motor is beautiful.

Tags
1980, restoration, stringer