Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > MasterCraft In Your Area

Old 04-20-2018, 10:56 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2017 X-10
Smith Mountain Lake, VA

How many others enjoying our pristine waters?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-21-2018, 10:23 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001, 205v
We rented a house for a week a few years ago. Was a great time and a Great Lake. I had a job opportunity 9 years ago down there. I should have taken it. Stuck in Ohio with crappy weather

Old 04-21-2018, 11:53 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1999 MasterCraft ProStar 205 LTR 330HP
Thumbs up Love it

We have been enjoying SML for many years now...rent houses twice a year. always 4 of July
Old 04-21-2018, 09:01 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: None
We rent almost every summer and will be back this August. If it were an hour closer to our house in Arlington, we'd probably pull the trigger on a place, but at 4+ hours it's hard to imagine getting there regularly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 04-21-2018, 09:19 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X-14 MCX w/Powerslot
I've heard tons of good about SML. Would love to check it out sometime. It's similar to the lake I grew up on, Fontana. Though I think Fontana is a bit more rural.
Old 04-29-2018, 02:22 PM
TT Regular

Boat: N/A
My parents moved to SML (Penhook) last August. Looking forward to spending much of the summer down there this year. I'll be down in a few weeks for Poker Run, staying through Memorial Day. Hopefully, the weather stays warm, so the lake can warm up before then!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 04-30-2018, 12:05 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: None
I visited SML this February to buy a used 09 Ski Nautique. Unfortunately, after a 750-mile drive I found the boat was misrepresented and I return home without a boat.

I did get to waterski in mid-February. I thought it was a great spot. I hope to go back for a vacation sometime.
98 Moomba Boomerang 310 HP 350 Carb
88 MC PowerSlot 240 HP 351 Carb Black on White
Old 04-30-2018, 02:37 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1992 PS 205-351w,285HO
I had my boat out for the first time on Saturday, weather was very nice and the water temp is slowly warming up. Here is a website with water temps as reported up near Hales Ford Bridge recorded at 3' depth: http://smlfishfinder.com/

I didn't bring a board or ski - but really wished I had. I saw a group in an I/O pulling someone on 2 skis w/o a wet suit, but I'd have wanted at least my surf top or farmer john.

It's a beautiful lake. Gets nuts on the weekends so I try and get in my sets either really early or wait until Sunday afternoon and Monday to avoid the crowds.

My dad worked at a marina there (Saunders, now Parkway) when the lake reached full pond in the mid-60's. I've been around SML since those days and last August we finally bought a condo there, which we rent to offset the expenses. I'm trying to work out a TeamTalk discount with the rental management company - but they've booked so many dates already, there isn't much availability. If I get something put together, I will post it on TT. Or, message me and I can check on availability.
(Former) 1989 ProStar 190 Power Slot
Smith Mountain Lake, VA
Old 05-02-2018, 01:26 PM
TT Regular

Boat: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2jp View Post
I had my boat out for the first time on Saturday, weather was very nice and the water temp is slowly warming up. Here is a website with water temps as reported up near Hales Ford Bridge recorded at 3' depth: http://smlfishfinder.com/

I didn't bring a board or ski - but really wished I had. I saw a group in an I/O pulling someone on 2 skis w/o a wet suit, but I'd have wanted at least my surf top or farmer john.

It's a beautiful lake. Gets nuts on the weekends so I try and get in my sets either really early or wait until Sunday afternoon and Monday to avoid the crowds.

My dad worked at a marina there (Saunders, now Parkway) when the lake reached full pond in the mid-60's. I've been around SML since those days and last August we finally bought a condo there, which we rent to offset the expenses. I'm trying to work out a TeamTalk discount with the rental management company - but they've booked so many dates already, there isn't much availability. If I get something put together, I will post it on TT. Or, message me and I can check on availability.
Where on the lake are you? I find that if you get away from the main channel and Huddleston, it isn't too bad, even on the weekends. That cove with the slalom course (called Bull Run, I think) is usually a pretty good spot. The further you go up the winding section of the lake in Union Hall isn't too bad either. I am curious about the new cable wake park. Has anyone checked it out?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 05-02-2018, 10:36 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2017 X-10
We have a place near g2. Just a few houses in as you enter Gills from the Blackwater
Love the location. Plenty of action w the marina nearby, then plenty of clean water not too far