Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 05-25-2015, 01:12 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: x30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kweisner View Post
I agree--my earlier suggestion to check temp AFTER running would tend to confirm Table Rocker's post. His answer is much more to the point!
Took it out this weekend temp was good only negative was put a big scratch in it while putting it on the lift. I used to have an inboard outboard this is my first v drive and it is a lot harder to dock,do you have any tips?
Old 05-25-2015, 09:04 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: mastercraft PS190 1988 351
Practice! Lots of practice!
Old 05-25-2015, 10:03 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, x-star, 2002
Google prop walk to better understand what's happening - it truly is all about practice.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:09 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2007 Prostar 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_kc13 View Post
Took it out this weekend temp was good only negative was put a big scratch in it while putting it on the lift. I used to have an inboard outboard this is my first v drive and it is a lot harder to dock,do you have any tips?
Unlike an I/O where your thrust source is also your steering source (the outdrive), these prop and rudder boats are definitely different in terms of wheel response. As others have said, practice is key, but here's a few hints.

When low speed maneuvering, you do need to anticipate your turns and start earlier.
Small amounts of throttle and wheel input are key--almost like backing up a trailer!
Finally, know that in reverse, the boat will be pretty difficult compared to an I/O. In my boat, while in reverse, it will pretty much only go to the right (driver's side)--no point in even trying to get the stern to move left so don't frustrate yourself trying. It was to do with the rotation of the prop.

If you keep these "limitations" in mind, then you'll learn to overcome them by maneuvering the boat the way it naturally wants to go.

Tags
2008, batteries, perfect pass, trim, x30