Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old Yesterday, 02:07 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Prostar190 View Post
Bama is good, anytime and anywhere .... but the SEC sure recruits and gets warm weather athletes (except maybe Kentucky) .... if Georgia played 3-4 road games in the wet and cold of the Midwest and East Coast maybe they would not be as highly regarded ...

Just saying .... I mean play at Camp Randall or in Nebraska ... heck the SEC doesn't even have to leave their time zone ....

Playoff system should have 8 teams ... with the first 4 teams getting to play at home as a reward for winning their conferences and posting a good season.

No question in my mind that the SEC would deserve to have 3-4 teams in a list of 8 .... but 2 of those teams would have to win on the road in the 8 game format. Maybe even play all the way in Oregon in another time zone.

8 teams would make me feel better ... although I think the top 4 in my book in today;s highly flawed system would be
Bama
Miss State
FSU (regardless of what anyone says they have won over 20 straight in D1 football)
Oregon

My team is Ohio State, and I don't think we are top 4 this year ...
What would be your best guess as to FSU's record right now if they had to play SEC football. I say 6-4 at best. They wouldn't even be in the top 25. I do agree with SEC teams not having to play up north in the cold, you can add a loss or 2 in there for that.
1993 ProStar 190 Star & Stripes - Sold
Old Yesterday, 02:34 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1985 stars&stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain planet View Post
You can say that all you like, T A&M and Mizzou back my observation.
T a&m 3-4 in sec play..... mizzou 5-1 much better than a&m but they got the brakes beat off them by a mediocre ga team. See a trend west much stronger than east, all those wins and still ranked 20th????
Old Yesterday, 03:09 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 X2
Based on Mizzou's schedule they should be well above those who haven't played anyone, I'm thinking top 10 easy.
1993 ProStar 190 Star & Stripes - Sold
Old Yesterday, 04:16 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 Prostar 214, MCX, Mini-Tower
Wheeler,

"What would be your best guess as to FSU's record right now if they had to play SEC football. I say 6-4 at best. They wouldn't even be in the top 25. I do agree with SEC teams not having to play up north in the cold, you can add a loss or 2 in there for that."

Likely a 2 loss FSU team is my pure speculation, maybe worst, maybe not.

No question the SEC has some speed and athlete advantages over the other conferences during this era .... but in today's football, not losing to any D1 school means something .... there are good scholarship players in almost every program.

In an 8 team format, I would invite Marshall. I know in my heart they are not these best ..... but running their schedule should at least allow them to be the 8 seed and try to pull an upset against the #1 seed in the 8 team format.

I guess our collective frustration is that a 4 team playoff really has not solved the problem ... heck most agree that in the field of 68(64) for basketball, at least teams that win their conference or earn an at large bid ... which gets them into the dance ... from there they need to win the 6 games to be named national champion (or in other words) champion of the tournament.

I agree with others that Mizzou is an interesting one this year ... as if WVU (lucky for the committee WVU lost a couple of those huge games, but man are they flirting with some huge wins this season.)

"Left Foot Forward and preferring girls."
Old Yesterday, 05:38 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1998 Prostar 190 Anniversary, LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Prostar190 View Post
Wheeler,

"What would be your best guess as to FSU's record right now if they had to play SEC football. I say 6-4 at best. They wouldn't even be in the top 25. I do agree with SEC teams not having to play up north in the cold, you can add a loss or 2 in there for that."

Likely a 2 loss FSU team is my pure speculation, maybe worst, maybe not.

No question the SEC has some speed and athlete advantages over the other conferences during this era .... but in today's football, not losing to any D1 school means something .... there are good scholarship players in almost every program.

In an 8 team format, I would invite Marshall. I know in my heart they are not these best ..... but running their schedule should at least allow them to be the 8 seed and try to pull an upset against the #1 seed in the 8 team format.

I guess our collective frustration is that a 4 team playoff really has not solved the problem ... heck most agree that in the field of 68(64) for basketball, at least teams that win their conference or earn an at large bid ... which gets them into the dance ... from there they need to win the 6 games to be named national champion (or in other words) champion of the tournament.

I agree with others that Mizzou is an interesting one this year ... as if WVU (lucky for the committee WVU lost a couple of those huge games, but man are they flirting with some huge wins this season.)
http://www.crimsonandcreammachine.co...d-myth-debunke

"The truth is treason in the 'empire of lies'" - Ron Paul
Old Yesterday, 05:56 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 Prostar 214, MCX, Mini-Tower
Planet ... nice .... good article I just scanned .... I was basing my opinion on watching Troy Smith getting chased and caught in a BCS game .... all conferences (like I said before) have athletes, I just believe the SEC in this era not just by speed alone seem to have some of the beasts in positions like the line and LB ... hey man I am a Buckeye and love our players ... but Shazier and the boys last year could not handle the Clemson (ACC) athletes.....

We have special athletes too ..... like Ted Ginn when he returned the opening kickoff in that game against Florida ...... but then the rest of the game we just were a step behind weren't we?

"Left Foot Forward and preferring girls."
Old Yesterday, 10:01 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 ProStar 197 ProTournament Team
Send a message via AIM to TayMC197
Official: "Its College Football Season" Thread

I think it boils down to smart players! Watching the SEC defenses is impressive.. They read into the plays and are quick to react.

Just my observation but it seems like the most BCS teams just try to out score the other team and not actually stop them from scoring. Obviously they are trying to out score but doesn't seem like much defense involvement. When both teams are over 40 points, it just doesn't seem right.
Old Today, 06:42 AM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain planet View Post
The one thing "fact" about statistical data is you can make it so it says what ever you want it to say.

Quote:
The formula is (weight x 200) / (40 time to the 4th power).
Quote:
Of the RB prospects at this year's combine, only 7 running backs had a speed score above 100. None - I repeat none - were from the SEC.
But when you look at straight speed in the 40, the SEC wins.

Quote:
Knowshon Moreno, RB from Georgia, is considered to be a speed back. He posted a 4.60 in the 40 yard dash at the NFL combine. Glen Coffee from Alabama ran a 4.58.
Then the guy goes on to say why the 40 is irrelevant. If it is so irrelevant then why do they make them run it?

Quote:
What Have We Learned?

The 40 yard dash is really irrelevant in terms of "team speed". Team speed is a combination of sprint speed, agility, and angles/football smarts.
Hogwash!!! If I can out run you in a straight line you cannot catch me. There is nothing irrelevant about that!

That guy is a complete tool bag.