Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 04-08-2018, 08:32 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: pontoon
Nothing wrong with super loud, but are you getting distortion somewhere beyond that 1/2 volume mark? If there is a concern, you can switch to the purple non-fade and set its level down to low in the head unit. Also note, there are adjustments inside the EQ.

Is the amp setup and configured properly for bridging 1/2 & 3/4? Have you checked the impedance of those speaker's circuit? Easy to do by pulling one of the amp plugs and put your meter leads across the two speaker leads. Its a 4 ohm speaker, so its measured impedance should be close to that, give or take a couple tenths.
Old 04-08-2018, 01:39 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2012 MasterCraft X2
The loudness concern is if the kids touch the volume control and blow all the speakers. My old sub was bad so that is solved. I think Iím going to go with a 10Ē JL M series in the stock location as I can't figure out a place where a 12" will fit (won't fit in kick panel). Iíve swapped to the non fade leads and I think that will be best. The amp still goes into protect though with the tower speakers. The amp is bridged correctly. Iím in the boat now. Impedance on both the Rev8's is 4 ohm (reads 4.4). I have the tower RCA's going into input's 1/2 and the switch for inputs 3/4 are set to "from 1/2). All the gains are set to minimum. All crossovers are set to full (disabled).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLA View Post
Nothing wrong with super loud, but are you getting distortion somewhere beyond that 1/2 volume mark? If there is a concern, you can switch to the purple non-fade and set its level down to low in the head unit. Also note, there are adjustments inside the EQ.

Is the amp setup and configured properly for bridging 1/2 & 3/4? Have you checked the impedance of those speaker's circuit? Easy to do by pulling one of the amp plugs and put your meter leads across the two speaker leads. Its a 4 ohm speaker, so its measured impedance should be close to that, give or take a couple tenths.
Attached Images

Last edited by lentiman; 04-08-2018 at 02:06 PM.
Old 04-09-2018, 12:56 PM
TT Enthusiast

Talked to Wetsounds today. All of the hook up info sounded fine to them though they gave me some crossover setting advice. They suggested to completely disconnect everything, then bridge the +/- to reset the amp internally. Then hook back up the power/ground/remote and rca's then try one speaker channel at a time. If it's still giving errors after that setting up a return/exchange would be the way to go. Hopefully that will solve the problem. It's almost the start of the season here and I'm excited to get out on the water with a functional system.
Old 04-09-2018, 01:17 PM
MC Devotee

Sent you a PM.
Old 04-09-2018, 02:48 PM
TT Enthusiast

Additional Q: I'm putting in a 10" JL M series IB sub in the stock location. Amps are under observer seat. Would you suggest 12 gauge wire from the amp to the sub or is 16 gauge okay? I could also do a dual run of 16 gauge as I have plenty of 16 gauge leftover from rewiring the JL M770's. Power will be coming from a JL 500/1 so I'll need to dial it down quite a lot to not blow the sub.
Old 04-09-2018, 03:35 PM
MC Devotee

Presuming the woofer is 4 ohm and the 500/1 is 250W x1 @ 4 ohm, you are right in the wheelhouse of the M10. 14ga is perfect but if you are running wire, id go ahead and run 12ga and likely never have to upgrade again.
Old 04-09-2018, 04:20 PM
TT Enthusiast

The woofer is 4 ohm. The 500/1 is 500 watts into 4-1.5 ohm, I basically have 2x the max power. I'll get 12 gauge.
Old 04-09-2018, 04:33 PM
MC Devotee

Gotchya, must me an older slash?
Old 04-09-2018, 06:14 PM
TT Enthusiast

It's the original slash, but in general they all put out the rated power on the label (I thought).
Old 04-09-2018, 10:32 PM
TT Enthusiast

Found the problem. Amp is good. Seems as though one of my Rev8's is the issue. Time to send it in for warranty repair...

Aaaaand, it's a bad crossover for the win! At least that's sorted out. Anyone deal with WS warranty service before? I'll find out tomorrow but it would be nice to know if I need to send in the whole thing or if I can just send in the crossover.

Last edited by lentiman; 04-09-2018 at 11:30 PM.