Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 10-02-2018, 09:45 AM
TT Regular

Boat: '14 X30 6.2L, '96 SkiRay Tournament
Unhappy Gen2 Tabs

Not a ballast question but goes along with it. On my '14 X30 with Gen2 the port side tab moves in a smaller range than the starboard side. 0% is not as far up and 100% is not as far down. However, if I continue to hold the manual tab control button down past when it says 0 or 100 on the screen the tab does move farther in both directions. When I let the screen take control again it reduces itself back to the more limited range of travel. Does anyone know if that is intentional in the program on an X30? Every time I see a pic of an X30 the port tab is all the way up. Thanks.
Old 10-04-2018, 12:22 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2018 X-Star
0% should be all the way up, as the computer retracts it for slightly longer than it needs to in order to ensure it is all the way up.

100% should be pretty close to all the way down..but it may have another 1/4" of play after that.

Honestly that sounds like a bad actuator. It was pretty common for the ones from this time frame to get water in them and need to be replaced. It happened to mine, and it did exactly what you described. Replaced the actuator and all was fixed.
Old 10-04-2018, 10:22 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniacmikes View Post
0% should be all the way up, as the computer retracts it for slightly longer than it needs to in order to ensure it is all the way up.

100% should be pretty close to all the way down..but it may have another 1/4" of play after that.

Honestly that sounds like a bad actuator. It was pretty common for the ones from this time frame to get water in them and need to be replaced. It happened to mine, and it did exactly what you described. Replaced the actuator and all was fixed.
I think I'll swap the wires from one actuator to the other and see if the problem moves to the other side or stays on the port side. If it moves I'll know its a computer problem.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:34 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniacmikes View Post

I got around to swapping the power lead on the actuators. Turns out you were correct Mike. It is the actuator. Will add that to the list of warranty repairs this winter. Thanks.