Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 03-11-2017, 08:43 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2018 X23 6000GDI - Previous 2014 Gen2 X25 6.0L
Surf 360 this summer

For you surfers out there that are accomplished tricksters, I'm looking for some advice on what board you learned to 360 on.

What I own today:

1. Ronix Carbon Thruster
2. Inland Surfer Sweet Spot
3. Doomswell Neo
4. Liquid Force Fish
5. Phase 5 Scamp (for kids)

I'm assuming I'll need to be heading more toward a skim style board and away from these surf style (or Hybrid) boards.

Problem with skim boards for me is I'm 6'4 225. I've tried some in the past and I just struggle with push.

Should I just put 1 fin in my Ronix Carbon Thruster and give that a try?

For those that specialize in teaching their friends to surf, what is your "go to" board for teaching 360's?

Anybody have a recommendation?
Old 03-11-2017, 09:37 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 X25 - 6.2 Ilmor Baby
So certainly I personally can't do it, however after watching my son who is an awesome surfer perform these over & over here are some tips from watching him that might help you.

He uses a single fin skim board "Liquid Force" custom which is no longer made

Based on surfing regular - Left or Port Side

Start as far back on the wave as possible and begin a thrusting motion approach toward the boat

On your last thrust at almost the swim platform start your spin by twisting your shoulders (right) toward the wave - Bending your knees & lowering your center of gravity with a right hand drag in the water helps a ton - Your upper body should almost be facing completely backwards, which in turn pulls the board around with a fair amount of push/weight on the back foot.

By starting up in the pocket, close to the boat, allows for you to complete the spin as you wash backwards & still have time to be complete in the sweat spot of the wave.

Here is a vid of him attempting a 720 - but you can get the idea that might help you.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUwyYriuTro
Old 03-11-2017, 10:39 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X
If your looking for a good skim for a big guy try the Captain by Victoria. That Neo should spin pretty well but it is a little different technique for surf and skim. Weight shift and hips are a little different. Spinning the 3 is the easy part in my opinion and catching the wave after is the tricky part. Be sure you can pump and control where you are on the wave as a prerequisite. Most people don't have enough board control to be successful after the spin or to stop the spin. I'm no expert but I'll be happy to share what it's taken me hours to learn.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:47 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '13 X2 Pro Gen2, '98 30th Anniv PS190- SOLD-
I too am a big guy (6'4 250lbs) and usually ride an IS Blue Lake, IS Red Rocket or a Humanoid Flux surf style boards. I recently picked up a Slingshot Butter Bar for a skim board and it is the most fun thing I have been on in a few years.

I wasn't sure it would work but the 56" size works well for my weight I was amazed as it has a flat rocker and is very fast downline. It looks short standing next to it but it is very wide so it surfs great and no issues with pearling the nose either.

With the 3 include fins it rides like a loose hybrid board almost surf style and very controllable, it gets really loose with just the center fin and likes to spin like crazy.

I'm liking the skim feel so much I'm looking into a 55" Phase 5 Hammerhead for my next board. Never thought a big guy could ride a "skim board" but there are larger ones on the market now for us.
Attached Images

SOLD - 1998 30th Anniversary ProStar 190

Old 03-11-2017, 11:41 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Achilles sg124
That doomswell neo is a complete piece of garbage. You will never do a 360 on it. I think you should pm me and I will give you 300 bucks for it.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:58 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Nautique
You can break loose any board you want to do a 360 . I can spin 360's all day long on any "surf style" board no problem . Even with the longer fins. It's all in technique. Is a skim boat with a single fin easer to get spinning???? Sure but it's harder to lock in at the end of the spin and get your balance back on a hard edge. Is the surf style little tougher to break loose....... Sure , but as your spinning around and need to get a pump or two into the wake to lock in or get down the line it's much easier. Pick a board that you like to ride the most and adjust that to get it to your liking. The sweet spot is a great board and hard to argue Inlands quality. Thruster no problem , Neo the same.

If you can't spin any of those it's your technique and going to a skim board isn't going to help. Run the thruster with two fins . That's should give you the best of both worlds. The same for the sweet spot. Fin configuration and fin style are important.

At the end of the day if you want skim board the Phase 5 Trident and Oath are skimmers for bigger guys

2000 Mastercraft Xstar
2004,2005 Ski Centurion Avalanche C4
2003, Ski Centurion Cyclone
99,2000,2001, 2002 Ski Centurion Elite V/Hurricane/lightning
88 2001 Nautique
Old 03-11-2017, 01:10 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '15 X10 6.0L, '15 X30 6.2L
+1 to Swat's comments.

SSLS1's X2 is spectacular. Always loved this boat.
Old 03-11-2017, 02:21 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2017 X23 Ilmor 6000GDI RadNorth Edition
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by uplandbird View Post
For you surfers out there that are accomplished tricksters, I'm looking for some advice on what board you learned to 360 on.

What I own today:

1. Ronix Carbon Thruster
2. Inland Surfer Sweet Spot
3. Doomswell Neo
4. Liquid Force Fish
5. Phase 5 Scamp (for kids)

I'm assuming I'll need to be heading more toward a skim style board and away from these surf style (or Hybrid) boards.

Problem with skim boards for me is I'm 6'4 225. I've tried some in the past and I just struggle with push.

Should I just put 1 fin in my Ronix Carbon Thruster and give that a try?

For those that specialize in teaching their friends to surf, what is your "go to" board for teaching 360's?

Anybody have a recommendation?
So I really love the surf style boards and I am designing my own boards Rad North as well. And I have to say that with surf style boards it is really important that at least when you are learning tricks you want to rather have a bit smaller fins than the ones that you want when you progress. So I would grab that NEO and just practice my technique if I were you. One tip for the 360 spin is that ones you start to spin your body towards the wave start to put more weight as you spin on you back foot. This stops you from riding up the wave and then once you have completed about quarter turn you need to transfer your weight on your front lead leg and after that again on your back leg.

start pumping to gain back speed

There you go how difficult it is to explain the technique in words LOL

2017 MasterCraft X23
2015 MasterCraft X23
2007 MasterCraft X45
2009 Malibu WAKESETTER VLX SS
2005 MasterCraft X-Star
2004 Tige 20v
1995 MasterCraft ProStar 190
Old 03-11-2017, 03:09 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2015 X30, 2008 X15 (sold)
Phase five trident is the board you need man!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-11-2017, 03:20 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2015 MasterCraft X-20
+2 on Swat's post.

I recommend picking a board and practice with it all summer. If you flip back and forth between boards you may find it harder to make progress as the technique / feel to do a 360 is different on every board. Personally I find the surf style easier to do a 360, but my son prefers a skim style board. That said, he rides skim 95% of the time and I ride surf style 95%. What I'm saying is you will get comfortable with whatever board you spend most of your time on.

2015 MasterCraft X-20 (current)
2009 MasterCraft X-2 (sold)