Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 12-17-2014, 02:31 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2006 MasterCraft XStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamica joe View Post
I know that everyone on the TT site likes Viper, but his pricing seems high -- $4,000 ++
Ha, I got a quote of $9k from one of the shops here in DFW for my little X1.
Old 12-17-2014, 03:41 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2001 Prostar 205V
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudmanV24 View Post
Ha, I got a quote of $9k from one of the shops here in DFW for my little X1.
Holy sh!t... did he at least use lubrication?
Old 12-17-2014, 03:47 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 ProStar 197 ProTournament Team
Send a message via AIM to TayMC197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wake Faller View Post
Jim Friant (The Upholstery Guy) is also in TN and more affordable from what I understand. He is doing my 2000 Maristar now. Will post pics when done. I did not update to current - just didn't seem to go with the boat - so I updated to circa 2006 vinyl / design.

Jim worked at MC in the upholstery shop for 15 years and now does this on the side.

I disassembled the boat myself and carried the cushions to him. Reasonable and very good to deal with so far.

PM if you want his contact info.
He did my 92 190 skins for me several years back, did a great job.
Old 12-17-2014, 04:13 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: changes every month
Dang.. BUDMAN.... MY interior is looking good for that price lol jk jk

Last edited by gsxrjtt; 12-17-2014 at 07:09 PM.
Old 12-17-2014, 04:46 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 X-Star 2009 X-Star (SOLD) 2003 X2 (SOLD)
I was quoted 4500 by viper for my 09 star. That included 2014 style vinyl replacing everything. They do all rip out install and replacing some foam. My vinyl was still in good shape so didn't do it. Local guy was going to be significantly cheaper but I would have to take all pieces out and deliver to him then do own install.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:19 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 ProStar 197 ProTournament Team
Send a message via AIM to TayMC197
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmcfarland View Post
I was quoted 4500 by viper for my 09 star. That included 2014 style vinyl replacing everything. They do all rip out install and replacing some foam. My vinyl was still in good shape so didn't do it. Local guy was going to be significantly cheaper but I would have to take all pieces out and deliver to him then do own install.
I'd suggest letting them take it out and put it in themselves, of course you save but they are then able to line up the pieces. I took some pieces to a local shop to have them recovered, just something basic, they look great but the seams didn't line up in places, etc. small things that drove me crazy and they couldn't see because they weren't able to install them
Old 12-19-2014, 12:20 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2006 mastercraft x-star
I am in Canada so shipping to the USA is a bit of a leap of faith. i spoke with Viper he suggested to pull out all my upholstered parts out of my 2006 xstar and send them to him. Still might be my best solution as the local guy wants $12k to do the job here.
Old 12-19-2014, 06:40 AM
TT Regular

Boat: current-07 X2, past-02 Prostar 209 - SammyD Edition
Quote:
I am in Canada so shipping to the USA is a bit of a leap of faith. i spoke with Viper he suggested to pull out all my upholstered parts out of my 2006 xstar and send them to him. Still might be my best solution as the local guy wants $12k to do the job here.
I will say I had a pretty good experience with Viper. Viper does great work but you have to stay on top of them and give them time. Ive heard numerous complaints about 2 week jobs taking 6 weeks. My experience was quick and easy but messing with stupid things like them forgetting to send the welting was annoying.

Jim corrected everything quickly and even overnighted my welting. The work was great.

I did the tear down, packaged it all up, and actually picked it up myself in TN which maybe why they made sure to be on time. Shipping cost about 40 bucks for all my skins from NC to TN. The reinstall and teardown isn't difficult but is very time consuming. I prob had 60-80 hours into all of it.

As for the 4500 quoted for a star that seems a tad high from them. I got my x9 done for around 2200 with a new bow filler using new fabrics. They wanted an additional 1k for install. I guess if you threw another 1k in for tear down that would make sense though. Alot of money to be saved doing it yourself on the front or back end.

With all that said I haven't heard one person ever complain about the quality of the work....only the customer service which all seemed to be minor.
Old 12-19-2014, 01:02 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, X30, 2003, MCX 350
I'm considering this. For those that have done the tear down themselves, what about the seat? Side panels? Glove box lid?
Old 12-19-2014, 01:14 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 X-Star 2009 X-Star (SOLD) 2003 X2 (SOLD)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02ProstarSammyD View Post
I will say I had a pretty good experience with Viper. Viper does great work but you have to stay on top of them and give them time. Ive heard numerous complaints about 2 week jobs taking 6 weeks. My experience was quick and easy but messing with stupid things like them forgetting to send the welting was annoying.

Jim corrected everything quickly and even overnighted my welting. The work was great.

I did the tear down, packaged it all up, and actually picked it up myself in TN which maybe why they made sure to be on time. Shipping cost about 40 bucks for all my skins from NC to TN. The reinstall and teardown isn't difficult but is very time consuming. I prob had 60-80 hours into all of it.

As for the 4500 quoted for a star that seems a tad high from them. I got my x9 done for around 2200 with a new bow filler using new fabrics. They wanted an additional 1k for install. I guess if you threw another 1k in for tear down that would make sense though. Alot of money to be saved doing it yourself on the front or back end.

With all that said I haven't heard one person ever complain about the quality of the work....only the customer service which all seemed to be minor.

That was an over the phone turnkey price. No negotiating.

Tags
skins, upholstery