Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 10-15-2013, 06:25 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig3972 View Post
David....hello
what do you think about a JL mhd 600 to drive 2 bullets on the tower? 2channels @300wrms?
Hello Craig,
Well, the MHD600 is conservatively rated. JL Audio was abusing that amplifier in initial tests just to see what it could do and it shut down a 100 amp power supply. So it's a beast. The HD/MHD600 is actually two discrete two-channel amplifiers in one chassis with an independent front and rear power supply (or left to right power supplies once bridged). Also, it's strictly regulated so it will at least deliver its rated power with any reasonable supply voltage. I consider 250 watts per speaker the max for a HollowPoint 770. Would I ever have a problem running that much power on the HP770? Nope. But I wouldn't trust everyone with it. It all depends on how you take care of your possessions.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:55 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Analog View Post
Hello Craig,
Well, the MHD600 is conservatively rated. JL Audio was abusing that amplifier in initial tests just to see what it could do and it shut down a 100 amp power supply. So it's a beast. The HD/MHD600 is actually two discrete two-channel amplifiers in one chassis with an independent front and rear power supply (or left to right power supplies once bridged). Also, it's strictly regulated so it will at least deliver its rated power with any reasonable supply voltage. I consider 250 watts per speaker the max for a HollowPoint 770. Would I ever have a problem running that much power on the HP770? Nope. But I wouldn't trust everyone with it. It all depends on how you take care of your possessions.
David, my volume control is installed in an enclosure which verifies me by means of a retina scan followed by a fingerprint scan as added means of security. I have the new 2025 MasterCraft 007... no one has ever managed to blow up anything on my boat...except for the tube!
Old 03-19-2014, 09:55 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2006 X15
I know this is an old thread but.....I found this on a search and it fits what I'm trying to do with my 06 X15. I currently have 2 amps, a mhd 600/4 that drives the 4 cabin speakers and a mhd 900/5 that drives the sub and two factory JL tower speakers. My first option was to add another set of factory cans with JL's but it's proving too difficult to find and buy a used set so.... I'm now considering replacing the single towers with Bullet hp 770's. My question is will the 900/5 drive the 770's sufficiently bridged or will I need to switch wiring and run the cabins from the 900/5 and the tower speakers from the 600/4?
Thanks!
David
Old 03-19-2014, 12:25 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkidwell View Post
I know this is an old thread but.....I found this on a search and it fits what I'm trying to do with my 06 X15. I currently have 2 amps, a mhd 600/4 that drives the 4 cabin speakers and a mhd 900/5 that drives the sub and two factory JL tower speakers. My first option was to add another set of factory cans with JL's but it's proving too difficult to find and buy a used set so.... I'm now considering replacing the single towers with Bullet hp 770's. My question is will the 900/5 drive the 770's sufficiently bridged or will I need to switch wiring and run the cabins from the 900/5 and the tower speakers from the 600/4?
Thanks!
David
The 900/5 is enough power to drive four inboat speakers very well. Just make sure that this particular amplifier is always run into a symmetrical front and rear impedance load. The sub channel is independent and on its own power supply so there isn't a concern on channel 5.
Four channels of the 900/5 bridged into two tower speakers will be about the same amount of power as two channels of the 600/4. Four channels of the 600/4 bridged into two 7.7" tower speakers is a bit rich....although very dynamic. Initial tuning would be critical as would staying disciplined as the day grows long and your ears become fatiqued.
Get with Odin at Earmark Marine for your purchase. He can then walk you through the best tuning procedure. I don't know of anyone who has his grasp of acoustics.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:33 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Analog View Post
The 900/5 is enough power to drive four inboat speakers very well. Just make sure that this particular amplifier is always run into a symmetrical front and rear impedance load. The sub channel is independent and on its own power supply so there isn't a concern on channel 5.
Four channels of the 900/5 bridged into two tower speakers will be about the same amount of power as two channels of the 600/4. Four channels of the 600/4 bridged into two 7.7" tower speakers is a bit rich....although very dynamic. Initial tuning would be critical as would staying disciplined as the day grows long and your ears become fatiqued.
Get with Odin at Earmark Marine for your purchase. He can then walk you through the best tuning procedure. I don't know of anyone who has his grasp of acoustics.
Thanks for the advice, David. It looks like the more bang for the buck is to go with the Bullet 770's to replace the factory JL's. I wanted to make sure that I had enough amp to drive them. My son is always telling me he can't hear the music while he's wakeboarding. Hopefully this will help!

Last edited by dkidwell; 03-19-2014 at 03:36 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:17 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkidwell View Post
Thanks for the advice, David. It looks like the more bang for the buck is to go with the Bullet 770's to replace the factory JL's. I wanted to make sure that I had enough amp to drive them. My son is always telling me he can't hear the music while he's wakeboarding. Hopefully this will help!

Dkidwell, if you decide to go with the Bullets, I have a brand new in the box pair for sale. I bought them and then found two more MC cans with JL speakers.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:44 AM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by imyourmaster View Post
Dkidwell, if you decide to go with the Bullets, I have a brand new in the box pair for sale. I bought them and then found two more MC cans with JL speakers.
Thanks. I sent you a PM.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:57 AM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by imyourmaster View Post
Not sure if you got my PM. I'll take the speakers for the $450 price you had advertised in the for sale section.