Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 04-27-2016, 10:30 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2017 22 VLX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastercraftdave View Post
Man I see this project turning expensive very quick.......

Im going to have to look into this....
Just make sure you research what you do first. Would hate for you to spend money and make your problem worse or no better. Throwing more speakers at an already underpowered system is usually not the answer.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:33 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeEatmon View Post
Hi Guys!

I ordered my boat with the upgraded sound system with 4 tower speakers. I'm thinking of adding one sub at the foot of the drivers seat and adding more power to the existing system overall because I'm really not satisfied with it at all. Also want to be able to turn the dash mounted tweeter output down somehow because it is deafening when you turn the volume up. They are on an amp shared with other speakers so I cant control the gain. I need some help. I'm no stereo guru. Thanks!!!
Detached tweeters (a distance from the coaxials or other fullrange speakers) are hard to take, especially on vocals where even the best of tweeters sound like fingernails on a chalkboard when placed in this position. It's not the higher percussion and upper harmonics that hurt but rather the hard edge of where the tweeters comes in, which is at the top of the vocal and fundamental spectrum. The problem is that the coaxials/components are low and much of their distinctive qualities are missing when underway, so the higher and forward tweeter location supplements the treble. Now they can still add to the brilliance and distinctive qualities if correctly attenuated without the tweeter sounding so isolated. It is just a matter of balance. The tweeter level can be adjusted passively, without changing their crossover frequency and without affecting the level of the speakers sharing the same channels.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:34 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2008 X-2
Quote:
What did you use to cut the hole out? Tht is the worst part about this whole thing is cutting the whole in fiberglass. That is why I have been going back and forth with the Wetsounds sub idea of the JL enclosed sub.

Quote:
I may have to look into this option for the stereo. I would like to add some more of punch and get an even better sound. I don't like the idea of adding a third amp as the amp rack in the X23 isn't very big....

I let the professionals handle the cutting and I'm VERY glad I did. The structure of the boat is bulletproof.

In terms of space for amps, you could stack the JL amps. In this pic I have the 750/1 which powers the two 10" subs stacked on the 600/4 which powers the 4 towers.

Old 04-27-2016, 10:36 AM
MC Fanatic

I sold my 700/5 and factory towers to help offset some of the cost. It helped but it was still very expensive. I replaced my 700/5 and 200/2(75x6 + 180 for a total of 630 watts) with a 600/4 and 1000/5(150x4 + 200x2 + 600x1 for a total of 1600 watts). The 7.7's were replaced with 8.8's, the IB sub was replaced with a JL 10w6v3 sub in a custom box, the cabin speakers weren't changed.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:49 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: N/A
Quote:
I have been looking at adding a new sub as well but the drivers footwell is a mess. I have been looking at the Wetsounds box that is an all in one combo.
Easy does it going forward. You want to do some research first.
Typically an enclosed subwoofer must be confined within a sealed compartment and vented into the listening area via a limited aperture. This can erase many of the advantages that a sealed subwoofer holds over an infinite baffle subwoofer.
If you have and plan on maintaining an existing IB sub, then it can become complicated when adding another subwoofer, not so much from a power and wiring standpoint, but from an acoustic standpoint.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:32 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2015 X23
I put 2 JL 12s under the helm.
Attached Images

Old 04-27-2016, 07:09 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2013 X-30
2-12's? That has to slam... Do you have any more pics with the grille off or the install from the other side, etc? I didn't think there was enough room there for 2-12's... Jealous. Nice work.
Old 04-30-2016, 07:30 AM
TT Newbie

Here is what the box looks like before install.
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2016, 08:49 AM
MC Fanatic

W3's?
Old 04-30-2016, 09:49 AM
TT Newbie

yes. W3v3