Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 04-26-2016, 10:32 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2008 X-2
Guys, interesting thread. Seems X20 and X23 are in heavy rotation here. Regarding factory audio options, what exactly is the upgraded option if you order that from MC? My understanding is that unless you upgrade, the cockpit speakers are MX series and not M series. Is this true? What are the tower speakers? MX or M series? It pains me to think that the new boats in this price range do not come standard with M series throughout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-26-2016, 10:40 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastercraftdave View Post
I have been looking at adding a new sub as well but the drivers footwell is a mess. I have been looking at the Wetsounds box that is an all in one combo.

Dave, I installed 2 M880s by the driver footwell on a 2008 X2. There was enough room and made for a clean install. I'm not sure how much room you have back there on your boat, but it is possible that the newer JL 8" subs will fit there. I would assume they are not as deep as the 10"? Gotta go check out their website for the specs.

Old 04-26-2016, 10:52 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2017 22 VLX
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC25 View Post
No sub box lowers the ohm load.
Am guessing he means using a dual 4 ohm voice coil sub will yield a 2 ohm load.
Old 04-27-2016, 08:32 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2015 X23 SS 6.2L
Quote:
Originally Posted by imyourmaster View Post
Dave, I installed 2 M880s by the driver footwell on a 2008 X2. There was enough room and made for a clean install. I'm not sure how much room you have back there on your boat, but it is possible that the newer JL 8" subs will fit there. I would assume they are not as deep as the 10"? Gotta go check out their website for the specs.

How does the two 10s sound that are under the drivers dash? Do things rattle more under there?

I have toyed with this idea but I feel as if the bass in the boat would all be on one side because the sub in the boat on is on the drivers side but faces the passengers side.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:17 AM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
How does the two 10s sound that are under the drivers dash? Do things rattle more under there?

I have toyed with this idea but I feel as if the bass in the boat would all be on one side because the sub in the boat on is on the drivers side but faces the passengers side.

The 2 speakers under the driver's dash are M880s, not 10" subs. I don't think there was enough depth there for 10" subs. However, those M880s added some serious punch to the overall sound in the cockpit and did not cause any vibration or rattling in the boat.

I have 2 10" subs, one is right behind the driver's seat facing towards the bow while the second is installed in the port side walkway which leads to the bow of the boat. Overall I think everything is pretty evenly balanced.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:25 AM
MC Maniac

Quote:
The 2 speakers under the driver's dash are M880s, not 10" subs. I don't think there was enough depth there for 10" subs. However, those M880s added some serious punch to the overall sound in the cockpit and did not cause any vibration or rattling in the boat.

I have 2 10" subs, one is right behind the driver's seat facing towards the bow while the second is installed in the port side walkway which leads to the bow of the boat. Overall I think everything is pretty evenly balanced.
I may have to look into this option for the stereo. I would like to add some more of punch and get an even better sound. I don't like the idea of adding a third amp as the amp rack in the X23 isn't very big....
Old 04-27-2016, 09:30 AM
MC Maniac

Quote:

What did you use to cut the hole out? Tht is the worst part about this whole thing is cutting the whole in fiberglass. That is why I have been going back and forth with the Wetsounds sub idea of the JL enclosed sub.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:42 AM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
I may have to look into this option for the stereo. I would like to add some more of punch and get an even better sound. I don't like the idea of adding a third amp as the amp rack in the X23 isn't very big....
Double post

Last edited by lees23; 04-27-2016 at 09:59 AM.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:58 AM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Not sure what the x23 has for power to the speakers but it's probably underpowered. Adding speakers to it is just going to make that problem worse which won't help you. If you are running one 4 ohm IB sub you can add a second 4 ohm IB and run your sub amp at 2 ohms and get close to double the power. If it is the 700/5 you will get 150 X 2 at 2 ohms vs 180 X 1 at 4 ohms. Wiring appropriately is crucial or you will end up with an 8ohm load and way under power the subs. Your best bet for more power is the smaller, but more powerful, HD series of amps.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:02 AM
MC Maniac

Man I see this project turning expensive very quick.......

Im going to have to look into this....