Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-04-2006, 11:08 AM
caliguyinTN's Avatar
caliguyinTN caliguyinTN is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Boat: 1996 Prostar 190 sammy duvall, LT-1, 214 hours, awesome boat
Location: South
Posts: 103
70 miles+ w/single axle trailer?

I recently purchased a 95 Prostar 190 sammy duvall w/the original single axle trailer that seems to be in good condition. The owner did not trailer the boat too far but I plan on trailering the boat 70+ miles each time I use it to get to a good location. In the future I might think about storing it at the lake or renting a slip but before that happens, am I making a big mistake by trailering it that far each way with a single axle trailer? It's all highway driving but I'm concerned that it might be worth it to buy a tandem trailer for the long trips each time. Any ideas guys? thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-04-2006, 11:16 AM
MarkP's Avatar
MarkP MarkP is offline
MC Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Boat: MasterCraft PS205 351 HO
Location: Cranberry PA(SW PA)
Posts: 6,963
I wouldn’t really worry about using a single. You may want to do a clean and re-pack and change the tires..
__________________


The wife calls me abrasive
The kids call me Daddy Sweetwater
But the ladies, they just call me El Guapo
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-04-2006, 11:23 AM
JDK JDK is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Boat: PS 205
Location: Saskatoon, Sask.
Posts: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguyinTN
am I making a big mistake by trailering it that far each way with a single axle trailer?
No. If your loaded boat doesn't exceed the capacity of the trailer. You will probably save a few $$$ on fuel towing this one rather than a tandem.
Tandems have some advantages, but for a boat, being towed over relatively smooth roads, by a decently sized tow vehicle, I'd stick with a single.

Last edited by JDK; 08-04-2006 at 11:27 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-04-2006, 11:25 AM
kycat2007's Avatar
kycat2007 kycat2007 is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: May 2006
Boat: 2004 Mastercraft X2
Location: Mt Washington, KY
Posts: 1,137
I do not think you need to worry about the single axle. I travel that far on a regular basis and I just make sure I have a spare. I bought this jack, tire tool, wheel chock kit and I carry it in the truck with me. I check the bearings a couple times a year.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-04-2006, 11:26 AM
dog paw's Avatar
dog paw dog paw is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Boat: 1984 19 skier Powerslot
Location: Lake Anna Va
Posts: 469
I towed mine 300 miles round trip a weekend for years, till we got the lake house. I did change the tires to the 8 ply heavy duty trailer tires. It ate the cheapies up pretty fast
__________________
A running apology for misspells and general butchering of the Kings English
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-04-2006, 11:28 AM
ttu's Avatar
ttu ttu is offline
MC Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Boat: 2007 X2 towed by a 2012 Touareg TDI
Location: tulsa
Posts: 5,255
On my last inboard it also had the single axle trailer. We towed EVERY weekend (both saturday and sunday) 40 miles each way all spring and summer and never had any problems what so ever.

I would recommend getting a spare just in case you get a glat.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-04-2006, 11:34 AM
caliguyinTN's Avatar
caliguyinTN caliguyinTN is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Boat: 1996 Prostar 190 sammy duvall, LT-1, 214 hours, awesome boat
Location: South
Posts: 103
Thanks guys. I feel alot better about it. I have a spare. The bearings are being repacked as we speak. I should be good to go then. Sweet.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-04-2006, 11:36 AM
east tx skier's Avatar
east tx skier east tx skier is offline
MC Hero
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Location: End of my rope.
Posts: 26,185
We do it at least once per month or more during the season. Just watch your tires and bearings like Mark said.
__________________
Previous: 1993 Prostar 205

Red 1998 Ski Nautique, PCM GT40, 310 hp, , Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG/Zbox.

FAQ


Be kind. Have fun.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-04-2006, 11:37 AM
TMCNo1 TMCNo1 is offline
MC Hero
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Boat: Gone
Location: Gone
Posts: 22,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguyinTN
I recently purchased a 95 Prostar 190 sammy duvall w/the original single axle trailer that seems to be in good condition. The owner did not trailer the boat too far but I plan on trailering the boat 70+ miles each time I use it to get to a good location. In the future I might think about storing it at the lake or renting a slip but before that happens, am I making a big mistake by trailering it that far each way with a single axle trailer? It's all highway driving but I'm concerned that it might be worth it to buy a tandem trailer for the long trips each time. Any ideas guys? thanks

To date, we have towed our '89 PS190 on a single axle trailer over 30,000 miles. Just be sure you keep the wheel bearings and brakes serviced on a regular schedule, frequently check the wear pattern, condition and air pressure in the tires. Carry a spare!
__________________
Charter Member Number 1

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.





Last edited by TMCNo1; 08-04-2006 at 11:43 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-04-2006, 11:41 AM
TMCNo1 TMCNo1 is offline
MC Hero
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Boat: Gone
Location: Gone
Posts: 22,134
UH,.....................................nevermind! !
__________________
Charter Member Number 1

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.





Last edited by TMCNo1; 08-04-2006 at 12:44 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:47 AM.


2018