Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 01-24-2018, 02:02 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2018 x23
Decadence vs. GatorStep/SeaDek

Haven't seen many recent comparisons of decadence to gatorstep/seadek. We demoed a boat in September with decadence when it was over 100 degrees, and the areas that were not covered by the Bimini were super hot (i.e. burn your feet hot). I'm assuming gator/seadek wouldn't be as hot? I just don't like carpet, so these are my two choices...my dealer will install gator upon arrival, and the cost would be about the same as the deckadence option on order. I know decadence will be easier to clean, etc, so interested in what others experiences have been?
Old 01-24-2018, 02:34 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 Prostar 205 (Sold), 2006 x15 w/ mcx
It's honestly a matter of personal choice, I personally like the feel of seadek over decadence. Once it's installed you never have to touch it unless there is an adhesive issue which is rare inside the boat. Decadence is easy to clean and removable which is nice. There's people on here that love both, in all reality they are both great products and huge improvements compared to carpet.
Old 01-24-2018, 02:41 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '04 X9
i love seeing these installed on new boats at the shows... but does anyone do this type of flooring on the older boats (90s/early 2000s) that didnt come originally with snap in carpet?
Old 01-24-2018, 03:00 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 98/99 MariStar 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post
i love seeing these installed on new boats at the shows... but does anyone do this type of flooring on the older boats (90s/early 2000s) that didnt come originally with snap in carpet?
Not sure if anyone explicitly does conversions from the built-in carpet (like the 90s/early 2000s), but I'm sure someone does it. Here's a thread I'm following where prostar205 is doing his 2002 X-30 in Deckadence. He tore out the original carpet and is doing it himself.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=83526
2017 B1G Champions
Old 01-24-2018, 04:07 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2015 X23 SS 6.2L
It all gets hot regardless. I have the deckadence flooring on my x23 and since mine is the surf edition, it is tan with two darker stripes. In direct Louisiana sun, it can get very hot, but the nice thing about the deckadence is that you can throw some water on it and it cools down easily. When water gets in the boat, the best part is that it easily drains.

I have tan Seadek on parts of my boat and it gets just at hot, the problem is Seadek absorbs the water more and will stay wet. On Sundays when we are picking up for the weekend, it is super easy to remove the deckadence, hose it out and let it dry to next weekend. You can easily hose out the boat on the inside and wipe it dry, leaving minimal moisture in the boat once the cover is put on. Also, another great feature with the Deckadence is that you don't have to add snaps to the floor.

IMO, its personal preference, but I just prefer the ease of cleaning my boat with the deckadence and if I don't want to have it in the boat, I don't have to.
Old 01-24-2018, 05:08 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002, X30, L-18
Hey there, I'm the guy that is replacing the carpet in my 2002 X-30 with Deckadance. I chose Deckadance for the very reasons that Mastercraftdave points out. The ability to removing it completely. The ability to throw some water on it and it instantly cools. I have also heard over time (5-7 years) that products like GatorGrip or SeaDek start to peal up and will need to be replaced.

Lastly, since I live in Western Washington (Seattle area), the number of days that we see during the summer with temps at 90+ is not that many. So, I don't think the issue of the Deckadance getting hot will be much.

Good luck in whatever direction you take. Both products are great and you can't go wrong with either.
Old 01-24-2018, 05:16 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 50th X-Star, 6000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastercraftdave View Post
It all gets hot regardless. I have the deckadence flooring on my x23 and since mine is the surf edition, it is tan with two darker stripes. In direct Louisiana sun, it can get very hot, but the nice thing about the deckadence is that you can throw some water on it and it cools down easily. When water gets in the boat, the best part is that it easily drains.

I have tan Seadek on parts of my boat and it gets just at hot, the problem is Seadek absorbs the water more and will stay wet. On Sundays when we are picking up for the weekend, it is super easy to remove the deckadence, hose it out and let it dry to next weekend. You can easily hose out the boat on the inside and wipe it dry, leaving minimal moisture in the boat once the cover is put on. Also, another great feature with the Deckadence is that you don't have to add snaps to the floor.

IMO, its personal preference, but I just prefer the ease of cleaning my boat with the deckadence and if I don't want to have it in the boat, I don't have to.
Dave is exactly on point for me too, deckadence is so easy
Old 01-24-2018, 05:28 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2016 Mastercraft X-30 6.0L
Our boat came with carpet but I picked up deckadence from another TT member with an X30 and its fantastic. This wasn't till late last season so I haven't had it during the super hot months though.
Old 01-24-2018, 06:39 PM

Boat: XT22
I guess I'm in the minority when I prefer carpet.
Old 01-24-2018, 06:48 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Boatless
Here's some examples of Gator Step in 2018 MasterCraft models! They turned out so good and I've always liked the look, feel, and durability of the product.
Gator Step - XT23 by Mason Obray, on Flickr
Gator Step - XT21 by Mason Obray, on Flickr
Gator Step - NXT22 by Mason Obray, on Flickr
Gator Step - X23 by Mason Obray, on Flickr