Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 12-11-2017, 03:02 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '83 Metalflake Blue on Grey S&S Powerslot, 351W
They Cancelled My Order!

Iíve been sourcing parts for a 205V lately. A few nights ago I found some good prices for a number of items at a well known MC parts sales website. I put together an order, provided payment information, and submitted it. Shortly thereafter I received an Email confirming the order. The next morning I received a message indicating that the website had experienced some pricing problems and that the company had cancelled my order. I checked the newly stated prices and to reorder would cost me $150 more. I contacted the company suggesting that they honor the prices in my original order, but they refused. I understand that they had some technical problems but canceling a good faith confirmed order doesnít seem quite right. Thoughts?
Old 12-11-2017, 06:40 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 81 mastercraft stars & stripes 351w
Seems like they should have honored your order or at the very least contacted you and tried to make some sort of arrangements with you. I have been in stores before where the wrong price was posted but they still sold it to me. What merchant was it?
Old 12-11-2017, 07:34 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
The difference is probably in the size of the company. Larger companies will take the hit to save face and it's easier to deal with it by taking the loss and moving on. Smaller companies typically don't have that luxury and have smaller margins where $150 on a $500 order would put them seriously in the red. In this type of case most smaller businesses will do a break even deal, selling at cost but won't lose money on a transaction of this type.

Without knowing more detail it's hard to understand how badly the pricing was out of line. I suspect you had several smaller items and one larger one that was seriously miss marked which would explain why they won't/can't move on the price. But then again without more information it's hard to tell exactly what's driving the reaction.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:13 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2007 Prostar 197
It's a choice for the company--customer (and potentially, public) perception of their reputation vs. the P&L. What's the right choice? That would be a function of competition. If they operate in a non-competitive space, they can afford to take a hard stance in terms of telling their customers to essentially pound sand. If they are in a competitive space, the calculus is different. I have 32 years in the vacation/leisure travel industry (a HIGHLY competitive space), but I can also speak to it from a small enterprise perspective, as my wife and I own/operate a local retail oriented business that's highly competitive (indeed, crowded).

For our business, word of mouth, social sharing, repeat business and goodwill are a vital marketing asset. We take a "Nordstrom" approach to our business in that unless a customer is truly blatant in terms of trying to take advantage, we err on their side. This has proven time and again to be the right decision, and indeed has been a net positive to the business in terms of actual revenue outcomes.

My observation is that generally speaking, the culture of business in America is that companies have elevated finance over marketing in terms of the decisions they make vis a vis customers. In the large corporations I deal with (cruise lines, hotel/resort companies, tour operators), most are now public companies and live and die by their quarterlies. The result has been that Finance people have become the high priests within the organization and use the earnings expectations as the proverbial choice between heaven or hell to keep their position of authority sacrosanct. No one dares challenge them because they have to "answer to Wall Street" (loaded with analysts have never actually worked in their sector, but seem to be the Oracles of how companies in the sector are getting it right or wrong). So Finance runs the show, but by their nature, they can't bring any creativity or holistic thinking in terms of growing the top line--simply lower expense by cut, cut, cut. This is the "look after the pennies, and the dollars take care of themselves" approach which is a fallacy unless you operate a monopoly.

Were it my company, the risk of public embarrassment (because of a mistake I made) and loss of reputation/future business greater than the $150 at stake here. Wouldn't it have been a better outcome for the OP to have said, "the let me know they made a mistake but stood behind the original price--what a great outfit."? When companies (and people) don't "own their mistakes" they simply create an opportunity for those that do to take their customers away. . .as it should be.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:26 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2017 X23 6000GDI (previous boat was 2014 X25) (4 other boats prior, but none MC)
Send a message via Skype™ to Loewen
Please post name of company, so we all know not to buy from them. It's called "integrity". They must be lacking.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:08 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1999 Maristar 210 w/Tower
Don't be ridiculous. People make mistakes. Do not punish them that way. If you posted something on CL and left off a zero in your ad, would you honor the price?

Georgetown University book store recently had a glitch in their system. It was supposed to be that if you bought an Apple computer, you would get a Beats headphone for free. The system would let you put the beats headphones in your cart for $0 and checkout without buying the Mac. A ton of students figured it out and tried to get them for free. They fixed the website and did not honor the $0 headphones w/o purchasing a Mac. Nor should they have.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:41 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, prostar 2001 205v
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdskier View Post
Don't be ridiculous. People make mistakes. Do not punish them that way. If you posted something on CL and left off a zero in your ad, would you honor the price?

Georgetown University book store recently had a glitch in their system. It was supposed to be that if you bought an Apple computer, you would get a Beats headphone for free. The system would let you put the beats headphones in your cart for $0 and checkout without buying the Mac. A ton of students figured it out and tried to get them for free. They fixed the website and did not honor the $0 headphones w/o purchasing a Mac. Nor should they have.
I would have to disagree this is different... the offer was not changed.. the retailer has the deal as you buy a apple computer to get free head phones no where did it you say you got free headphones without a purchase..

The OP has what is called a bait and switch... Any AG would take the business to court... They had a price listed for parts he purchased a bunch of parts in good faith as stated... The business is responsible for the listing prices it is their business after all... the business can't after the fact come back and say oh sorry we messed up on 5 of the 5 items... if it was one item, maybe, but if it was all of them then that is not a oooops that is deception.. The OP doesn't state if it is one item or all of them or some number of them...

If the business can't honor the price then what is the point of being in business?
Old 12-11-2017, 09:56 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2014 Gen II X30 SS
Theres no $ in parts! its a volume biz as margins are so thin. If it was a huge company they'd probably have honored the mistake...Not saying they're right, but Im finding it happens more in this internet economy that retailers are already working so thin that they sacrifice customer service more than ever before.
Thats why it pays to shop local, pay a little more and have a real live human to shake hands with when things go south.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:24 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2017 X10
Location: Center Hill Lake, Old Hickory, and Norris Lakes in TN
Agreed that shopping locally in the boating businesss is critical to do whenever you can do so. I have never bought a new boat from my local dealer, but I always buy all of my service, accessories, and parts through them. They are a great bunch of people to work with, and having a relationship with them has served me well numerous times. By the same token, I am highly verbal about their well ran business, and I buy many things from them even though I could easily get them online...so I assume this works for both of us. The only reason that I never bought a boat from them is that I've never bought a NEW boat in my life. If this day ever comes, then they will certainly get my money.

Finally, I do think that any "well known MC Parts" shop online should have honored the $150 difference in order to win your business and create a loyal customer. If we were talking about $1500, it would be much different, because we can all understand that companies are in business to make a profit. If this is a well-known shop though then they are established enough that they can handle $150 discrepancy to obtain/maintain a loyal customer. There aren't that many "well known" MC Parts shops online, and of the three that I can think of, I doubt that two of them would have done this.

My $.02 ...USD...gross
Old 12-11-2017, 11:04 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Quote:
Originally Posted by curver900 View Post
I
The OP has what is called a bait and switch... Any AG would take the business to court... They had a price listed for parts he purchased a bunch of parts in good faith as stated... Ts?
Not sure I'm with you there, all "e-commerce" utilize something to the effect of;

"We reserve the right, but are not obligated, to limit the sales of our products or Services to any person, geographic region or jurisdiction. We may exercise this right on a case-by-case basis. We reserve the right to limit the quantities of any products or services that we offer. All descriptions of products or product pricing are subject to change at anytime without notice, at the sole discretion of us. We reserve the right to discontinue any product at any time. Any offer for any product or service made on this site is void where prohibited."

At anytime includes before shipping the item.

The thing is, many of these places don't necessarily have all of your parts, order a steering cable and it might drop ship from Teleflex. Order a prop and it might drop ship from OJ.
Some of these webstores are literally an online presence for a specific dealer - ie. waterskis.com and midwest mastercraft - or Action watersports and wakehouse.com

When you go to these sites and buy something the online shop that invoice gets picked by a parts guy and invoiced and that's where your order got cancelled.

You may get someone to play ball with you if you figure out the physical store for the online parts retailer and call their parts department directly, but I don't think they're in the wrong if they determined the price was inaccurate.

Curver900's opinion I would only agree if they now don't update the price on the website to correct the error.