Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 10-22-2018, 11:02 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197
https://youtu.be/R4_NdGefTe4

After factory reset. Here is set at 26pmh, I think 2750 rpm. As soon as I throttle up to the speed in the video the PP starts dumping cable and auto tightening. The interested thing is I can sort of add enough throttle to get past this, but the PP won't engage until about 2900 rpm at this 26mph setting, even though it is set at 2750.

Any speed over 24mph has this issue.

Doesn't do this when PP is off.

Like my ghetto gauge?
Old 10-22-2018, 12:48 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
So something interesting is that as you know this version of PP is paddle wheel below 24 mph and rpm over 24mph. So I'd be very suspicious of your wiring to the PP rpm sensor first.

Are you seeing any fluctuations on the display? Is your RPM trigger set correctly and have you tested inverted?
Old 10-22-2018, 01:51 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88 PS190 View Post
So something interesting is that as you know this version of PP is paddle wheel below 24 mph and rpm over 24mph. So I'd be very suspicious of your wiring to the PP rpm sensor first.

Are you seeing any fluctuations on the display? Is your RPM trigger set correctly and have you tested inverted?
The RPMs on the gauge seem to be correct, and fluctuate as the motor does.

What is an RPM trigger? Tested inverted? This is the first time this boat has used the Digital Pro software, from the factory it was set to Wakeboard Pro.
Old 10-22-2018, 02:25 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Trigger might be the wrong word, the unit can be set up for different cylinders 6/8 etc. Make sure its in 8 cyl not 6 cyl and the number corresponds closely between your gauge and the PP.

Next thing is the invernted trigger - that's just a setting for RPM input standard or inverted. Try both.

My suspicion is that since it sees the paddlewheel signal and works fine, then switches to the RPM signal and freaks out that you need to evaluated the settings involved in the rpm as well as the connections involved in the rpm signal.
Old 10-22-2018, 02:45 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88 PS190 View Post
Trigger might be the wrong word, the unit can be set up for different cylinders 6/8 etc. Make sure its in 8 cyl not 6 cyl and the number corresponds closely between your gauge and the PP.

Next thing is the invernted trigger - that's just a setting for RPM input standard or inverted. Try both.

My suspicion is that since it sees the paddlewheel signal and works fine, then switches to the RPM signal and freaks out that you need to evaluated the settings involved in the rpm as well as the connections involved in the rpm signal.

OK will do. I will check and get back to you. Thanks for the help!
Old 10-23-2018, 11:56 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, 280 SST, 2005, Twin 375 Crusader
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintpollz View Post
ok thanks

anyone else got anything?
well the issue either lies in the servo or in the PP system. My thoughts would be below in order of cost effectiveness....

1. try resetting PP to factory. Then test again. If same result, validate all your settings are correct and not inverted or just wrong like the previous post said to check. If still same result then go to 2. pretty good chance it has to do with a setting somewhere in the system. I unfortunately have not used PP ever so I don't know how the code runs so tell you what settings to validate.

2. clean the paddlewheel (since i think that is what you said yours is running off of) and validate there is no weird sticking going on at 12 mph. If the paddlewheel gets slightly slowed down at 12 for whatever reason the mph could read slow for a split second and wind up the Servo. This is more just to rule out the paddlewheel, I don't think it is the paddlewheel.

3. change the cable to one that fits better. then re-test, especially if it start happening immediately after changing the cable.

4. test the the servo by getting a new one. It is possible the servo is faulty and thinking the cable is loose at that specific position while PP is set around 12 mph. Only way would be to test a new servo with your system setup the same exact way and try to replicate. You could sit around trying to mess with the servo to try and b able to replicate the issue on command, or just buy a new one and install it. it will be instantly fixed or it won't be. Either way you will know if the issue lies in PP functioning with your new cable or if the servo actually was faulty.
Boat: 2005 Maristar 280 SST Twin Crusader 375