Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 09-26-2017, 08:18 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2006 Mastercraft X15
Trailer lights

I have a 2006 X15 I just purchased and I am having some issues with the lights on the trailer. I can get everything to work except the parking lights. When I cut the parking lights on they wonít come on on the trailer and it makes my reverse lights on the truck come on. I have found that if the swing away tounge is open I can move it around and make everything work. Canít seem to find any bare wires or anything like that. Wasnít sure if it had something to do with the surge brakes or what. Those are new to me. I can also hear a click when the lights come on and make my truck reverse lights come on. I have checked with another truck and it did the same thing so it is the trailer for sure. Trailer has a 7 pin connector. Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:05 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2014 X2 5.7 Pro Surf Gen 2
The click you hear is the lock out solenoid for the brakes. When the reverse lights are energized it locks out the surge brakes so you can back up the trailer. take a flashlight and a mirror and examine the harness inside the swing tongue for a broken or shorted harness.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:08 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by dt37803 View Post
The click you hear is the lock out solenoid for the brakes. When the reverse lights are energized it locks out the surge brakes so you can back up the trailer. take a flashlight and a mirror and examine the harness inside the swing tongue for a broken or shorted harness.
plus check that your ground is solid and corrosion... that's the usual culprit
Old 09-26-2017, 10:56 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2006 Mastercraft X15
The ground on the swing away tounge is what I am assuming you are talking about. Wouldnít the brake lights not work as well? Iíll check that. I knew the click was the solenoid but it was weird because the truck wasnít in reverse and when he trailer was plugged up to the truck and I cut the truck lights on it would make the reverse lights come on the truck come on when the truck is in park. Once I move that tounge around the trailer lights would come on and the truck reverse lights went on and everything working normal. Hopefully itís just that ground, Iíll check it tonight.

Tags
lights, surge brakes, trailer