Go Back   TeamTalk > Classifieds Buy/Sell > For Sale: Boats

Old 07-17-2018, 07:36 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2000 sport nautique
WTB 2007 to 2011 MC - help spend my money!

Some background - I owned a 1998 sport nautique for 15 years - never, ever had a problem with it and it met my needs as a mostly single guy. Quality seemed excellent though I had nothing else to compare it to.

We now have 3 kids and I'm looking for something newer. From the reading I've done, MC and Nautique are the market leaders. I want to focus this thread on an MC model/year choice, not a MC vs CC discussion.

I've read a ton of threads here but am still having trouble getting the "lay of the land" regarding models and features. Many of you know this stuff cold and can likely point me in the right direction quickly. I've looked for old brochures to understand the differences in, for example, an X2 and an X15 but many of the brochures are not online.

Our needs: none of us are experts at anything...most of our boating is tubing, teaching kids to ski/wakeboard and I hope to get into some surfing. I think we need a 21 to 23 foot boat to bring along a few friends. I like the reversible rear seat concept.

With that said, I think I've narrowed things down to the 2006 to 2011 years and a price range of $40 to $70k. What I don't know is if there are important model year changes that I should be aware of...example, in 2012 they made the best ever MC so if I'm looking to buy a 2011, stretch the budget and get a 2012. There also may be a boat that's great for us at substantial savings over one targeted at the more serious wake boarders/surfers.

Any insight in pointing me in the right direction would be very helpful. And if you have a boat for sale that's not already posted on TeamTalk, I'm happy to look at it! Prefer boats with under 500 hours in superb condition.

Thanks!
Old 07-17-2018, 11:32 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '08 X14
Others who have owned more boats will chime in but I have heard 2012 is a year to avoid due to some screen issues, so keep that in mind.

Generally the bigger the boat the better so a x30 could be a good option. If you are thinking about surfing know that will be less ideal for skiing but if you aren’t hardcore slalom then any boat will get you out and you can ski.

There are some good thread comparring the x25 or x30 within the last month that are worth a read.

Here’s a great read that is pretty much the exact the same question
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=86096

There are 2 2011 x25’s listed in this section. Take a look at the pics and feel free to ask the sellers questions.
Old Yesterday, 06:48 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
I have a 07 X2 for sale with 400 hours that I'm asking $40K for. PM me if you're interested in more information.
Old Yesterday, 06:56 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2014 X-2
Reversible seat started on 2012 x30s I believe. If you trailer/garage your boat, the 2 pt tower is nice to have that came out in 2012, but for me, I'd say stretch your budget to get a 2013 over a 2012. Gen 2 surf system would also be a nice feature to stretch budget for. I think that came out in 2013, but might have been 2014.

If you do get a 2012, keep in mind there is no easy way to adjust the factory fill times to plumb in additional ballast.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old Yesterday, 07:33 AM

Boat: XT22
That's quite a price range. At the lower end, you are looking at '06 - '08/'09 X2, X15, X30. At the higher end, you are getting close to a new style X10 or X30. I'd go that route if you have the means. And as mentioned, stay away from a 2012 due to all the electronic problems they can have. While there are plenty of people here with 2012's that are not having an issue, the potential is still there, and the solutions may not be.
Old Yesterday, 09:32 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X-Star sold. In the market.
Maybe throw 2011 X25 in the mix? They have the rear facing seats, lots of room, great in the chop.

Will wakeboard great and surf well. Lots of info on here to surf great with some ballast additions.

I have seen a few of these on the market in the south that were great values.

Like others said stay away from the 2012, and you will be tempted for the availability and prices. There are reasons for this.
Old Yesterday, 12:50 PM
TT Newbie

Your feedback is great - exactly what I'm looking for, especially on the 2012's.

On the X25, is there a large difference in seating/storage vs the x30? I think the pickle fork bow will give a little more room and its 18 inches shorter overall, will that make a big difference? We don't live on a lake so need to take everything with us...can't see us having 15 on a boat but will have 4 adults plus 5-6 kids.

I do have a large price range. I was within a whisker of buying new - can get a 2018 xt23 for right at $100k or a 23LSV for the same - both discounted nearly 35% off MSRP. At the end of the day, I decided I wanted to let someone else take the first 2-3 years of depreciation.

Thanks for the thread referrals, some I'd seen, some not, and all are good reads. What are the major benefits of a 2013 and up boat vs say a 2007 boat? mostly the surf system? That seems to be the decision point - $40k for 2007 or so and $60k+ for 2013. I don't know how big a deal the surf system is to me as none of us surf yet but would like to try - certainly it helps resale.

BCD, are you saying that pre-2012 boats have towers that don't fold? While I may not put the boat in a garage, I'd like that option.

Lastly, nearly every used boat says it wasn't used in saltwater...just how big of a deal is using a MC in salt water? If properly rinsed and flushed, then its okay? or not? Problem signs to look for? Not worth the trouble?

Appreciate your help!
Old Yesterday, 12:53 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2016 X30, 85 S&S
35%.... I would take that deal

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2018!!!!!!

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...30#post1417530

2016 X30-Wetsounds galore
2017 Misty Harbor Tri-Toon
1985 S&S- Gone but never forgotten
Old Yesterday, 01:12 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC25 View Post
35%.... I would take that deal
I was very, very close to doing it! A second big issue for me was that the new tax law killed any sales tax deduction - as hard as I tried, I couldn't see throwing nearly $9k down the drain. In terms of purchase price, it was great and I likely could nearly sell it in a year for the same number...but the tax would never be recovered.

I have the option of keeping the boat in AZ where used boats have no sales tax. It will be interesting to see if the new law affects other's "luxury item" buying decisions over time especially in states where we can easily exceed the $10k deduction limit without even buying a new boat!
Old Yesterday, 01:16 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2014 X-2
Earlier towers fold down, just not as fast/easy as the new 2pt towers. If you're not folding it down everytime, it shouldn't really be a factor in your decision.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk