Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 03-11-2018, 08:18 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X14. Sold Maristar 210, 1992, 351
Send a message via AIM to jackpita Send a message via Yahoo to jackpita
2008 X14 MCX intermittent surge

At a loss here. Boat surges at around 2600-2800 RPM. Boat pulls quickly to the right during the surge. Surges above that RPM, but does not feel as dramatic. Installed new plugs, distributor cap, rotor, plug wires. No change. Have a ignition/coil module on order with SKIDIM.

I have a good friend who is a qualified mechanic and we will change the fuel filter once we do a fuel pressure check and it points in that directs. He is not available for a week.

He also wants me to disable the Perfect Pass and see if that has any effect. Boat still surges in RPM mode when engaged; not engaged, but on; and when PP turned off. I can't find out how to disable the DBW.

Can anyone provide advice on what else to try to (1) cure the surging and (2) how to disable PP for a DBW MCX? Thanks.
Old 03-11-2018, 01:54 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: mastercraft x-14 2008 mcx
Is the fuel filter on the bottom of the pump module in tank ?
Old 03-11-2018, 02:11 PM
TT Enthusiast

Yes. Figure I will check that when I replace then pump.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:01 PM
TT Enthusiast

How did you make out ?
Old 03-20-2018, 02:52 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, prostar 2001 205v
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackpita View Post
At a loss here. Boat surges at around 2600-2800 RPM. Boat pulls quickly to the right during the surge. Surges above that RPM, but does not feel as dramatic. Installed new plugs, distributor cap, rotor, plug wires. No change. Have a ignition/coil module on order with SKIDIM.

I have a good friend who is a qualified mechanic and we will change the fuel filter once we do a fuel pressure check and it points in that directs. He is not available for a week.

He also wants me to disable the Perfect Pass and see if that has any effect. Boat still surges in RPM mode when engaged; not engaged, but on; and when PP turned off. I can't find out how to disable the DBW.

Can anyone provide advice on what else to try to (1) cure the surging and (2) how to disable PP for a DBW MCX? Thanks.
Does it do it when hot? cold? both?
did it do it before you put it away last year?

Assuming it starts and idles fine... does it act up above 2800 rpm?

if you turn off the PP at the display that should take it out of play...
Old 03-20-2018, 04:18 PM
TT Enthusiast

Engine is fine. Looks like it is running gear. Pulling the boat this weekend and check the rudder, prop, etc. will advise!
Old 04-09-2018, 08:40 PM
TT Enthusiast

What did you find was the cause ?
Old 04-10-2018, 08:08 AM
TT Enthusiast

Well, fixed it and must say I'm a little embarrassed. Replaced the rudder seal, also found that the rudder key and cotter pin were missing. I've always greased it every year, but can't remember if I saw the cotter pin and key being there the previous years, and I don't remember removing the cotter pin this year. The key might have dropped out when removing the rudder arm, but since the pin was gone, it could have fallen out a long time ago. The rudder was moving sideways a bit, very noticeable. I have before and after videos if anyone interested. PM me and I'll email them to you.

New seal and grease, rudder key, cotter pin, all made the rudder solid. Also put a new prop on, the old looked fine, but I'll take it for a balance at the prop shop to be sure.

Put the boat in the water and still had the surge at around 2800 RPM, not near as bad, but still there. Pulled the boat and removed the Fresh Air Exhaust. Back in the water, and guess what, no surge. Tracks dead straight at all speeds.

Again, it wasn't an engine surge, but the boat shifting/surging right and left at 2800-3000 RPM, just enough to bother me. Not sure when I first noticed it, but the first run this season it was really bad, which sent me down the engine related path. Hindsight being clairvoyant (they teach that at the Navy War College) ... I should've known the rudder was clearly much of the problem.

Soooooo, mission complete. A complete tune up, plugs, rotor, distributor, coil and plug wires, all might have been overkill, but other than the coil, at 10 years old, I'm ok with that fix. I change the plugs every other year. Rudder needed to be fixed, it was clearly a problem. Glad I discovered that one. FAE being the final culprit. I don't surf behind the X14 anymore, since we use my buddies X30. Boat is a little louder without it. I'll miss the quiet, but not the wobble.

Thanks to all that helped with this post, and all the others I found by searching through this site.
Old 04-11-2018, 10:02 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2006 X15 350 MCX
Thanks for letting us know the fix. How exactly was the FAE causing the surge?
Old 04-12-2018, 06:56 AM
TT Enthusiast

Wish I knew. I'm assuming just enough of a disturbance that below and above the 2800 RPM speed, the hydrodymanics weren't enough to show at slow speeds, and strong enough at the faster speeds to effect the tracking. Only thing we can think of. Everything else under the boat was fine, tracking fins, and prop shaft. Rudder was part of the problem, but problem still manifested itself. Last thing to rule out was the FAE, and with it off, the problem went away. Anyone have a better idea and I will pay with cold beverages to hear them!