Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Upholstery

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-25-2010, 11:23 PM
spooln7
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Where to buy rear upper bench upholstery (complete)

Hi, I have a 1996 Prostar 205 and lost the rear upper upholstery bench thing that sits right over the fuel tank. I'm not sure what to call it but it is held on by 3 nuts on the underside of the fiberglass over the fuel tank. I attached a picture if that helps. Does anyone know where i can buy a new one?
thanks,
Craig
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-21-2010, 10:42 AM
MC205's Avatar
MC205 MC205 is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Boat: 1996 PS 205
Location: Midwest
Posts: 442
Your local upholstery shop should easily be able to fab that for you.
__________________
-Aaron
RED 1996 Prostar 205
Indmar 350 TBI
Acme 541
PerfectPass Stargazer Wakeboard Edition
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-21-2010, 09:07 PM
jimmer2880 jimmer2880 is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Boat: 95 PS 190 EFI
Location: Hagerstown, MD
Posts: 3,059
Send a message via AIM to jimmer2880
I need that piece as well for my '95 PS190. If you find factory skins, pls let me know.
__________________
If one day you're asked:
" How did you spend your time here on Earth?"
Will you say:
"I kept a crabgrass free lawn"
It's time to SKI.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-21-2010, 10:05 PM
dmminfla's Avatar
dmminfla dmminfla is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Boat: 1997 PS 205 5.7L 275 HP TBI
Location: South Florida
Posts: 367
I had mine re-covered. I think it came out close to original.
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-22-2010, 10:05 AM
coz's Avatar
coz coz is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Boat: 1998 ProStar 205
Location: Location: Location
Posts: 4,974
Quickest way is DIY.
Attached Images
    
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-22-2010, 10:34 AM
MC205's Avatar
MC205 MC205 is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Boat: 1996 PS 205
Location: Midwest
Posts: 442
coz,

Did you use marine grade plywood? Did you glass it?
__________________
-Aaron
RED 1996 Prostar 205
Indmar 350 TBI
Acme 541
PerfectPass Stargazer Wakeboard Edition
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-22-2010, 10:44 AM
JimN's Avatar
JimN JimN is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 13,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by spooln7 View Post
Hi, I have a 1996 Prostar 205 and lost the rear upper upholstery bench thing that sits right over the fuel tank. I'm not sure what to call it but it is held on by 3 nuts on the underside of the fiberglass over the fuel tank. I attached a picture if that helps. Does anyone know where i can buy a new one?
thanks,
Craig
The panel may have had plastic retainers that push into a hole in the fiberglass, then the threaded stud has a nylock nut and washer below. If the stud was threaded into a T-nut, it may have backed out, which means red thread lock should be used this time. I wouldn't use anything like that on the nut, in case it needs to come out. You would want to use T-nuts that can be screwed into the panel, so they don't push out of the hole. An alternative is to use a threaded insert, but if the wood rots, that will basically fall out. The panel can be fabbed up by a good upholstery shop.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-22-2010, 10:57 AM
mayo93prostar mayo93prostar is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Boat: 1993 Prostar 190 Blue Stars and Stripes, Powerslot
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 809
Coz, Why did you have to replace yours? Did you shave the foam down on an angle along the back? I am curious. It looks like a nice job.

Spooln, you would be hard pressed to find a replacement from a dealer or other shop. I agree with others here that you and/or an upholstery shop will have to build it.
__________________
1993 Blue Stars and Stripes Prostar Powerslot 351HO
Mastercraft: Face It - If you are not a good skier behind this boat, you are not a good skier.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-22-2010, 11:41 AM
coz's Avatar
coz coz is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Boat: 1998 ProStar 205
Location: Location: Location
Posts: 4,974
Quote:
coz,

Did you use marine grade plywood? Did you glass it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo87prostar View Post
Coz, Why did you have to replace yours? Did you shave the foam down on an angle along the back? I am curious. It looks like a nice job.

Spooln, you would be hard pressed to find a replacement from a dealer or other shop. I agree with others here that you and/or an upholstery shop will have to build it.
I used regular ply and I didn't glass it but I did polyurethane the heck out of it. The reason I had to replace it was because I lost it on the freeway somewhere between Phoenix and the colorado river and no I didn't shave it, my neighbor (upholstery guy) wraped just like you see it. He did say the next time I do one (hope never again) to leave about a 1/2" over hang of foam all the way around before wraping it.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-21-2010, 12:45 AM
rslong50 rslong50 is offline
TT Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Boat: 205
Posts: 22
Sundeck replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
The panel may have had plastic retainers that push into a hole in the fiberglass, then the threaded stud has a nylock nut and washer below. If the stud was threaded into a T-nut, it may have backed out, which means red thread lock should be used this time. I wouldn't use anything like that on the nut, in case it needs to come out. You would want to use T-nuts that can be screwed into the panel, so they don't push out of the hole. An alternative is to use a threaded insert, but if the wood rots, that will basically fall out. The panel can be fabbed up by a good upholstery shop.
So my sundeck flew off somewhere between San Fran and Sacramento. I just realized that one of the plastic retainers on the boat is sheared off and it took some fiberglass with it. Are these nuts/retainers vital to keeping the sundeck in place or is there an alternative route I can take? Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:25 AM.


2018