Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Upholstery

Old 06-25-2010, 11:23 PM
spooln7

Where to buy rear upper bench upholstery (complete)

Hi, I have a 1996 Prostar 205 and lost the rear upper upholstery bench thing that sits right over the fuel tank. I'm not sure what to call it but it is held on by 3 nuts on the underside of the fiberglass over the fuel tank. I attached a picture if that helps. Does anyone know where i can buy a new one?
thanks,
Craig
Attached Images

Old 09-21-2010, 10:42 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1996 PS 205
Your local upholstery shop should easily be able to fab that for you.
Acme 541
PerfectPass Stargazer Wakeboard Edition
Old 09-21-2010, 09:07 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 95 PS 190 EFI
Send a message via AIM to jimmer2880
I need that piece as well for my '95 PS190. If you find factory skins, pls let me know.
"I kept a crabgrass free lawn"
It's time to SKI.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:05 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1997 PS 205 5.7L 275 HP TBI
I had mine re-covered. I think it came out close to original.
Attached Images

Old 09-22-2010, 10:05 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1998 ProStar 205
Quickest way is DIY.
Attached Images

Old 09-22-2010, 10:34 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1996 PS 205
coz,

Did you use marine grade plywood? Did you glass it?
Acme 541
PerfectPass Stargazer Wakeboard Edition
Old 09-22-2010, 10:44 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooln7 View Post
Hi, I have a 1996 Prostar 205 and lost the rear upper upholstery bench thing that sits right over the fuel tank. I'm not sure what to call it but it is held on by 3 nuts on the underside of the fiberglass over the fuel tank. I attached a picture if that helps. Does anyone know where i can buy a new one?
thanks,
Craig
The panel may have had plastic retainers that push into a hole in the fiberglass, then the threaded stud has a nylock nut and washer below. If the stud was threaded into a T-nut, it may have backed out, which means red thread lock should be used this time. I wouldn't use anything like that on the nut, in case it needs to come out. You would want to use T-nuts that can be screwed into the panel, so they don't push out of the hole. An alternative is to use a threaded insert, but if the wood rots, that will basically fall out. The panel can be fabbed up by a good upholstery shop.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:57 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1993 Prostar 190 Blue Stars and Stripes, Powerslot
Coz, Why did you have to replace yours? Did you shave the foam down on an angle along the back? I am curious. It looks like a nice job.

Spooln, you would be hard pressed to find a replacement from a dealer or other shop. I agree with others here that you and/or an upholstery shop will have to build it.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:41 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1998 ProStar 205
Quote:
coz,

Did you use marine grade plywood? Did you glass it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo87prostar View Post
Coz, Why did you have to replace yours? Did you shave the foam down on an angle along the back? I am curious. It looks like a nice job.

Spooln, you would be hard pressed to find a replacement from a dealer or other shop. I agree with others here that you and/or an upholstery shop will have to build it.
I used regular ply and I didn't glass it but I did polyurethane the heck out of it. The reason I had to replace it was because I lost it on the freeway somewhere between Phoenix and the colorado river and no I didn't shave it, my neighbor (upholstery guy) wraped just like you see it. He did say the next time I do one (hope never again) to leave about a 1/2" over hang of foam all the way around before wraping it.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:45 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 205
Sundeck replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
The panel may have had plastic retainers that push into a hole in the fiberglass, then the threaded stud has a nylock nut and washer below. If the stud was threaded into a T-nut, it may have backed out, which means red thread lock should be used this time. I wouldn't use anything like that on the nut, in case it needs to come out. You would want to use T-nuts that can be screwed into the panel, so they don't push out of the hole. An alternative is to use a threaded insert, but if the wood rots, that will basically fall out. The panel can be fabbed up by a good upholstery shop.
So my sundeck flew off somewhere between San Fran and Sacramento. I just realized that one of the plastic retainers on the boat is sheared off and it took some fiberglass with it. Are these nuts/retainers vital to keeping the sundeck in place or is there an alternative route I can take? Thanks for your input.