Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 10-07-2010, 11:08 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 02 19Skier
TBI fuel pump question

New engine in the boat, cleaned the tank and fuel lines before re-installing. Everything looks like a go but the fuel pump will not run long enough (only about 10 seconds at key-on) to pressure up the system. 2002 19Skier with TBI. Ran it on the stand (w/carb) so know the timing is on. Gas gauge reads, has spark, oil pressure shows while cranking. Any ideas? I don't want to keep skiing behind the Moomba!
Old 10-08-2010, 07:46 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mig View Post
New engine in the boat, cleaned the tank and fuel lines before re-installing. Everything looks like a go but the fuel pump will not run long enough (only about 10 seconds at key-on) to pressure up the system. 2002 19Skier with TBI. Ran it on the stand (w/carb) so know the timing is on. Gas gauge reads, has spark, oil pressure shows while cranking. Any ideas? I don't want to keep skiing behind the Moomba!
At key-on/engine off, it primes for three seconds and stops. If the ECM sees no RPM info, it won't pump but the pressure should increase to normal. Check the pressure after it primes and while it cranks and don't worry about how long the pump works without the motor running (unless it does nothing at all).
Old 10-08-2010, 09:51 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
At key-on/engine off, it primes for three seconds and stops. If the ECM sees no RPM info, it won't pump but the pressure should increase to normal. Check the pressure after it primes and while it cranks and don't worry about how long the pump works without the motor running (unless it does nothing at all).
Thank you JimN. Do I need to prime the pump somehow - get gas to the pump - before it will pressure up?
Old 10-08-2010, 09:55 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Thank you JimN. Do I need to prime the pump somehow - get gas to the pump - before it will pressure up?
Your pump is in the tank, right? If the tank has gas in it, you don't need to do anything. I didn't see what motor you used as a replacement- if it's the on-motor pump, it's more tolerant of running dry for short periods.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:13 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
Your pump is in the tank, right? If the tank has gas in it, you don't need to do anything. I didn't see what motor you used as a replacement- if it's the on-motor pump, it's more tolerant of running dry for short periods.
This pump is mounted with port side bellhousing bolts. I have key cycled at least 30 times and only get the pump to run until the guages settle down. Should it run until there is pressure at the schrader valve? Appreciate you answering the same question from different angles - I'll get it eventually. Engine is a home brewed 383 w/ lots of aluminum.

Last edited by mig; 10-08-2010 at 10:23 AM.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:16 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 95 PS 190 EFI
Send a message via AIM to jimmer2880
If you disconnect the fuel line just before the pump, do you have gas? If not, I would get it there somehow before trying to start it. Once fuel is there, you'll have a siphon going, so it shouldn't take long for the pump to get it into your TBI.

I've replaced my entire fuel line between the pump & the I did a priming cycle a few times (key on, off, on) and she fired right up.
"I kept a crabgrass free lawn"
It's time to SKI.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:17 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 95 PS 190 EFI
Send a message via AIM to jimmer2880
just thought of something. Most of these boats come with an anti-siphon valve on the fuel line, where it leaves the tank. You may want to check/discard yours. BTDT
"I kept a crabgrass free lawn"
It's time to SKI.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:17 PM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks everyone for all the help. What I learned about fuel pump operation on this boat:
Short key-on cylcle to pressure up the system under normal conditions
Pump will run while engine is cranking if oil pressure ok and fuel pressure low - except when the pump is dead
KEEP CONTAMINANTS OUT OF FUEL SYSTEM - these pumps don't like particles of anything
2200 hours is a long service life for these pumps
Jegs sells Carter #60692 dual stage pumps for $107.99 + $13 shipping - best price I could find
Old 10-12-2010, 02:22 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Thanks everyone for all the help. What I learned about fuel pump operation on this boat:
Short key-on cylcle to pressure up the system under normal conditions
Pump will run while engine is cranking if oil pressure ok and fuel pressure low - except when the pump is dead
KEEP CONTAMINANTS OUT OF FUEL SYSTEM - these pumps don't like particles of anything
2200 hours is a long service life for these pumps
Jegs sells Carter #60692 dual stage pumps for $107.99 + $13 shipping - best price I could find
Does the fuel pump run if the engine stops?
Old 10-12-2010, 06:49 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: PS 205
Quote:
Engine is a home brewed 383 w/ lots of aluminum.
More details required..........please